Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

9 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

3 year deal for Defoe at Bournemouth is a bit much

Haha surely not?! Wasn't £150k per week being mentioned? Outrageous for a club like Bournemouth to be paying that sort of cash for a 37 year old.

12 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

3 year deal for Defoe at Bournemouth is a bit much

2 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Haha surely not?! Wasn't £150k per week being mentioned? Outrageous for a club like Bournemouth to be paying that sort of cash for a 37 year old.

In the report I read about that, I see a 3 yr contract on 65k.. Bournemouth getting some good business done in Begovic, Defoe, (soon to be) Ake..

1 minute ago, Grantham Fox said:

In the report I read about that, I see a 3 yr contract on 65k.. Bournemouth getting some good business done in Begovic, Defoe, (soon to be) Ake..

Fair enough if that's the case... They've got the money, everyone has.

45 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

It's frustrating to know we could be making proper signings like this if we had an able DOF, Walsh should have been that for us.

Yeah! I mean obviously we can't do anything about it now he's gone and that. But it just seems we always take our time.

4 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Eddie Howe shouldn't be allowed near money

Yeah because he's royally ****ed Bournemouth's finances up so far hasn't he... 

Anyway, he'll be indentifying targets and possibly having a discussion with them regarding his vision for the club. That's as far as his role in the transfers will go. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

Just now, lgfualol said:

Cus I dont rate the signings they've spent considerable amounts on. And defoe on a 3 year contract when he is almost 35 is weird. 

I don't think it's much to do with managers these days more of the ridiculous inflation in the transfer market for average players. 

We now live in a world where Jeffrey Schlupp gets a move for £12 million. We all know Schlupp isn't worth that much but because of the transfer market and the prices players go for that's now considered the going rate. 

Howe did well at Burnley getting in bargains but it's a different ball game once you get in the Premiership.

3 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

As I understand it, the contract he wanted was £20 million over 3 years. the salary quoted is about half. I suspect the balance is covered by a chunky s/o fee and further one off payments at the end of each season.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

A big loss for Burnley. Looked very strong last season.

Not sure on whether, despite their signings thus far, Everton will be competing for top-5/6 yet.

They've signed Pickford, who is still young and has lots of mistakes in him. Klaasan who is unproven in a decent league, looked very poor in the final. Sandro, who's only 20. Also, they are going to lose Lukaku, their best player . They won't be competing for top 6 with those average signings.

Edited by AmarteyAndChill

53 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Not sure why you think that. He's building a very decent side.

Yea with a mostly cheap side. Josh King cost them about £1.50 and got 15 goals. Ibe, Grabban, Afobe, Gradel and anyone that cost them more than £5m have been poo. Defoe on a 3 year deal seems madness to me.

57 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Yeah because he's royally ****ed Bournemouth's finances up so far hasn't he... 

Russian billionaire owners will help with that

6 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Yea with a mostly cheap side. Josh King cost them about £1.50 and got 15 goals. Ibe, Grabban, Afobe, Gradel and anyone that cost them more than £5m have been poo. Defoe on a 3 year deal seems madness to me.

Russian billionaire owners will help with that

Well I doubt the Russian billionaires will be worried about giving Defoe £65k a week for 3 years. 

4 hours ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

I thought he was on £80k-£100k..?

I don't know how much he's been paid, £100-150k was mentioned on here, but the most recent figure mooted was £65k. Either way, it is a lot for a 33(?) year old on a 3 year contract, I agree with that. I hardly think Howe can be slated for this though. 

Fair play to Bournemouth and Everton for showing a bit of ambishun. Wish we had some of that. Embarrassing that we were celebrating the league title this time last year and now we're finishing below Bournemouth and watching them progress as we do nothing. 

Edited by ealingfox
  • Like 1