Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

It should be noted, within the article, Scudamore has accepted that a "39th" game is not workable. If the idea was to advance within the Premier League, it would be as part of the normal season (i.e. One round of the 38 games would be played abroad).

• Like 1

But the Premier League already has, and has for seasons, gained a worldwide audience.

Not sure how this extra game abroad/a game abroad would further advance the league really.

Any competent finisher at the head of that Chelsea team is going to score goals but I have to say, I've no idea how Morata is ever worth 60m.

Never world class at all. He's a good solid striker but a marquee transfer for that kinda cash? Madrid are laughing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It's not stupid for a Chairman of a sport that has a global following and captive market overseas to want to tap into that - he wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't try and advance that agenda for the organisation he overseas; especially as he will be well aware of the American Sports success of moving games over here.

It might leave a bad taste in the mouth for fans here - but chances are, within the next 25 years a meaningful game will be played overseas.

I wonder if possibly there's an opportunity to do it with the FA Cup Semi-Finals; provided they consider giving a fair selection of season ticket holders of the club's reduced/free tickets and travel as compensation.

Not the FA cup semis but maybe one round of the league cup. A big money spinning game abroad would be an incentive for the big teams to not play the reserves. Would also be a reward for the smaller clubs who got that far.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Not the FA cup semis but maybe one round of the league cup. A big money spinning game abroad would be an incentive for the big teams to not play the reserves. Would also be a reward for the smaller clubs who got that far.

If you're a fan of the smaller clubs though wouldn't you rather see your side play a big boy at your home ground though? Or theirs.

Imagine being an Accrington fan (for example) and getting United at Old Trafford down the line and it gets moved to Shanghai, I can't see it even being that much of a money spinner for a smaller side.

5 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

West Ham seem to spunking money right left and centre but Hernandez for £16m is an excellent deal, great value for money.

The fee is very reasonable re buy out but the 140k/week will mean in reality an extra 8m on top of the fee over four years (he is 100k/week max player)

26 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

West Ham seem to spunking money right left and centre but Hernandez for £16m is an excellent deal, great value for money.

He's 29 and injury prone, very West Ham.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It should be noted, within the article, Scudamore has accepted that a "39th" game is not workable. If the idea was to advance within the Premier League, it would be as part of the normal season (i.e. One round of the 38 games would be played abroad).

still doesn't become "fair" though, take burnley from last year as an example. they won like 30 odd points and about 30 of them were at home. the end of their season could've been oh so different if one of their home games had been moved to chicago and they'd lost instead of won. 

what about the great escape season? what if our game vs west ham, when the clappers were introduced and it's basically admitted that the fans won us 3 points, had been played in azerbaijan and we'd lost? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

The fee is very reasonable re buy out but the 140k/week will mean in reality an extra 8m on top of the fee over four years (he is 100k/week max player)

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

He's 29 and injury prone, very West Ham.

I heard that his weekly wage was going to be significantly less than 140k but with lots of bonuses to make up for it.  As long as he stays fit and scores goals, he'll get by.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I'd say he's worth it. Would have him here in a heartbeat, although not sure where he'd fit in our current squad. Always saw him as a bit of a poacher.

Perfect for them though.

9 minutes ago, the fox said:

united looking really scary. a good brand of football and a deadly counter.

Looks pretty much like their starting lineup for the season. 

Lukaku is going to have a huge year.

Edited by spacemunky

Just now, spacemunky said:

Looks pretty much like their starting lineup for the season. 

Lukaku is going to have a huge season. 

lukaku is too big and too fast for defenders. a player like that leading the line is the dream. he can play bullyball against fast defenders (or even strong defenders for that matter lol ) and can out run most physical defenders. he is truly a great player

• Like 1

963f05554bb2f42b49e6ff7ddde07b66.gif

Not really sure what Manchester City's keeper is doing here but if that's what we're gonna be seeing from the most expensive goalkeeper in the world this season then Pep's had another shocker

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Saying that, I'd take Nasri, if the price and wages were right.

Especiallyif Mahrez does go.

He's a cvnt, but he's got vision and creativity :ph34r:

I didn't even know he was back with the club. Was surprised to see him playing tonight. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paddy. said:

West Ham have had an interesting window. In theory with Hart, Zabaleta and Hernandez they have signed 3 proven premier league players who can make a difference straight away. But all are aging and on big wages. I'd argue they are the signings of a manager who knows he's under pressure. 

I personally prefer our signings as with Maguire and Ihenacho we have players that will only get better. 

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

963f05554bb2f42b49e6ff7ddde07b66.gif

Not really sure what Manchester City's keeper is doing here but if that's what we're gonna be seeing from the most expensive goalkeeper in the world this season then Pep's had another shocker

Must be careful not to judge too early - lots of people were calling De Gea shite early on at United.

But that is rather poor sweeper keeping. This lad could prove quite amusing ?

Good finish by Rom mind.