Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

36 minutes ago, Mrfox452 said:

All the teams they play away from home are inconsistent and there is a potential to get some points. Chelsea are definitely beatable, and you gotta hope Man City are on the beach by the time you play them.

If I was a  Southampton fan  id be fairly confident we could get enough points to stay up from those fixtures. 

They've won once in about 16 and cannot score goals. Going down.

13 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

So proud Southampton have abandoned the merry-go-round of British managers to give a young homegrown coach and opportunit..... oh

Hughes' sixth PL club managed, just the one behind Allardyce but proudly pulling one ahead of Hodgson.

Hughes is a terrible manager, finally got found out at Stoke and is back in work because there was no one else available. His record is one enormous list of failure since a moderately successful spell at Blackburn. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Hughes is a terrible manager, finally got found out at Stoke and is back in work because there was no one else available. His record is one enormous list of failure since a moderately successful spell at Blackburn. 

He did okayish at Fulham before jumping ship to QPR. 

Just now, Tuna said:

I agree.

He's also one of the worst of the current generation of 'blame everyone else and blame every decision when I lose, whilst ignoring every favourable decision I got' managers.  Hardly surprising as he served under Ferguson who was never short of an excuse when he lost.

Don't mind Southampton but I like them a little less after his appointment.

Additonally, as it's the season thread, glad manyoo got found out on Tuesday night. They've been shithousing results all season.

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Tuna said:

They've won once in about 16 and cannot score goals. Going down.

True...but they do have some good players. Gabiadini, Austin, Redmond, Tadic, Boufal and Prowse. The talent is there imo.

I still think they have a chance, however putting Hughes in charge would not have been my first choice.

They need that new manager bounce though especially for he next two games. Less than 4 points from Swansea and West Ham and it will be seriously big challenge.

Gotta feeling they'll stay up though.

11 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I hope he does well there.

That being said what a managerial merry go round it is with the likes of Pardew, Hughes, fat Sam, Lambert, Moyes etc there’s little imagination shown in these appointments 

Pardew and Lambert are the worst, they’d done nothing to warrent another opportunity at this level. Glad to see both have had no effect and both of their teams look doomed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Papasmurf said:

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. This season aside, don't think any of his sides have ever been in any danger of going down.

At QPR, they only survived by the skin of their teeth under him, then the next season they did a lot worse where they didn't get their 1st win for months, before getting relegated. 

At Stoke, he failed to improve them from their successive 9th place finishes and were heading on a downward slope.

12 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Wednesday 23rd August 2017 - Liverpool 4 Hoffenheim 2.  Sorry.

But you were the last to win a home leg of a post-group stage knockout.

Qualifying phase doesn't count.

13 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Also known recently as “the bounce” which is rapidly followed by “the slump”

Sounds like some women I know.

35 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Hope Saints go down! When (not if, but when) Mahrez goes then we could sign Tadic or Redmond (OK - nowhere near as good as Riyad; but who is?) and Austin - who will always score goals and bully defenders.

Austin!!?.... 

Makes Darren Anderton look robust! 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Papasmurf said:

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. This season aside, don't think any of his sides have ever been in any danger of going down.

Because hes been sacked before they actually went down?

Hes useless.

4 hours ago, Mrfox452 said:

True...but they do have some good players. Gabiadini, Austin, Redmond, Tadic, Boufal and Prowse. The talent is there imo.

I still think they have a chance, however putting Hughes in charge would not have been my first choice.

They need that new manager bounce though especially for he next two games. Less than 4 points from Swansea and West Ham and it will be seriously big challenge.

Gotta feeling they'll stay up though.

Boufal is absolutely crap, im sorry but do you seriously think hes any good?

1 hour ago, Donut said:

Boufal is absolutely crap, im sorry but do you seriously think hes any good?

I think he has the potential to be a very good player. With the correct manager behind him he could be very effective imo.

• Like 1

Tbf to Southampton, they usually pick out a gem and go with him. But the last two that were seen as genuine coups, just get taken off clubs anyway. Especially when clubs like Spurs (at the time) & Everton are managing to out muscle you and steal your managers, I'm not surprised they've got for a less attractive appointment 

7 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

DYPMC-rXkAAmeze.jpg

That's a great chart to show the ludicrousness of the managerial merry go round. I kind of suspect Puel will end up being in this list in the future, as he's securing a reputation for solid if unspectacular results. I hope he can help LCFC progress, but it given that the club recently stated that our current position is "satisfactory" it shows that Top and co are hungry to push onward and upward so I think next season we will be expecting to push on again.

It's interesting that none of the newer breed of former player - turned managers like Giggs, Campbell, and Gerrard have got anywhere close to a Premier League job. I wonder which one of these will be the first? My prediction is that Patrick Vieria will be the next Arsenal manager alongside Thierry Henry.