Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

40 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

If you feel that way, you're clearly on the wrong forum.

Meh. A lot of Man United fans don't like Jose and his playstyle. I like sport personalities who get on others nerves. that's why i like players like diego costa.

Man Utd will implode next season. Tottenham will likely lose Poch and Harry. Arsenal will struggle. Chelsea will likely lose Conte. Next season could see big surprises, except Man City will win the league and Liverpool will finish second. 

I've just sat and watched the whole Heritage speech and actually, I have to be fair, I'm one of Jose's biggest critics but he's right here.

What he's essentially said is that United are where they are, they're not a great team anymore, you don't just get that over night, City spent years building a team and if you expect United to do the same they need time.United's fans have too high expectations, the squad is still a work in progress, they don't have any right to just waltz in to the last stages of the CL or win the PL because that's not what they do, it's not their level, it's not the club's recent "heritage" - it hasn't been since Ferguson left.

When you actually look beyond the money, they do still have a very shit squad in places, they spent a lot of money on a lot of bollocks.

There's no excuse for Sevilla, either their performance or his tactical approach, but their position in the league is about par for their squad quite frankly in fact it's probably over achieving. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, the fox said:

I like mourinho. He's not your media friendly, fake manager and honestly a breath of fresh air. He talks a big game but he rattles coaches. He absolutely murdered Conte this season when he went on and on about how childish it is to have a verbul fight with conte for 10-15 minutes and he said that he is sorry just to merk him in the end with the "at least i wasn't accused of match fixing" line lol

Nothing better watching a jose team managing a 1-0 win with 30-something% possession, less than 250 passes and 2 shots against that overhyped baldy and the pashon merchant at pool

I agree. I like Jose as well for those  exact reasons. He talks a big game and more often than not he has delivered.

Frank de Boer said earlier this week that Rashford won't develop under Mourinho because Mourinho has a "win at all cost" mentality. Mourinho responded by saying under de Boer Rashford would learn to have a losing mentality. 

He even had a few digs at the passion merchant after last week's win :D

• Haha 1

Mourinho had a perfectly valid point. There are too many idiotic pundits. Not to excuse the Sevilla loss but overall I think Jose is frustrated with the footballing culture atm. Jose understands football, he understands the game on a tactical level and on an emotional level. He is an intelligent man. So when he sees the likes of Savage, Owen & Sutton etc go on the airways without any nuance or understanding he gets frustrated. We get frustrated on here about that too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, the fox said:

I like mourinho. He's not your media friendly, fake manager and honestly a breath of fresh air. He talks a big game but he rattles coaches. He absolutely murdered Conte this season when he went on and on about how childish it is to have a verbul fight with conte for 10-15 minutes and he said that he is sorry just to merk him in the end with the "at least i wasn't accused of match fixing" line lol

Nothing better watching a jose team managing a 1-0 win with 30-something% possession, less than 250 passes and 2 shots against that overhyped baldy and the pashon merchant at pool

Again I agree with the fox. 

football supporters in general have become sheep who follow the whatever the fashion is, like in many areas of today's western society. It's the trend to not like Mourhino and to love Klopp-like and of course RM or Barça (sorry I'm not up with the latest trend).

I find Mourhino fun to listen to and he sets his stall out to win, even if his team is sometimes boring and doesn't win. 

I detest the need for managers to be interviewed after every game which has caused most managers to say nothing in these interviews. At least Mourhino will occasionaly give some truths.

Imagine if Pep or Klopp managed to drop that masterclass vs a team like Liverpool and pocket the most inform player in the league (Salah) using Ashley Young (just like he kicked Hazard out of the game by letting Herera tail him all game last season). We would have not heard the end of it.

The media members are just too soft and get their feelings hurt when a manager flames them in public. And it's not only a Football/PL problem. Just look at how NBA/NFL players with attitude get treated by the media.

Like KOKE said, Jose is kinda tame considering the footballing IQ the ones who criticize him have. I would've gone ballistic if i'm going against those attacking armadas from man city and liverpool and pundits are calling for me to "open the game" and preduce "beautiful football'. 

Did anyone see Salah and Mane on the counter?That is the football equivalent of a Dothraki army charging in an open field. 

It's disgusting how the media's drooling over baldy and the german Forrest Gump. they look faker than a 3 Dollar bill with their snake

oil salesman's smile. :dry:

Edited by the fox

Didn't they criticize his football in 2014-2015 and skinned him alive in the next season.

The media wants to see possession baised Football because they think that's the only way English Football can take the title of the best from the Spanish teams.

They are driving the narative and powering the agenda. Shaming mid-table/lower-table teams for parking the bus against teams that can ether them 5-0/6-0

This "never been relegated as a manager" argument currently used is so misleading. Yes, Mark Hughes hasn't been relegated (yet) but that doesn't mean he's avoided relegation battles and has been sacked twice with clubs in disarray and heading down. It is bad enough when the likes of Redknapp have relegations airbrushed from their history but being sacked near the bottom of the table doesn't exonerate you from blame if the team goes down after you've gone.

• Like 3

Used to like JM, but think he’s a mardy  bum now. 

Hate to hear post matches interviews by him and Klopp after they’ve played badly or lost. Rarely gracious to the other team and just moan about some perceived injustice. 

JM has made MU boring. That’s good though, still gives us a chance whenever we play them.

I don’t get why MH is back in a job. 

Anyway, happy to be smug with a quarter final to look forward to, and listening to depressed Norwich fans, and deluded Derby fan I work with! 

2 hours ago, the fox said:

The media wants to see possession baised Football because they think that's the only way English Football can take the title of the best from the Spanish teams.

I think that's patently untrue and "the media" is such a broad term it's impossible to tar the entirety of it with the same brush.

But I can't be arsed to argue.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Why does anyone listen to post match interviews?

Good question.

my wife says the same, and why constantly rerun highlights and analysis. Suppose just habit from old days of wanting to know what our manager says, and if the oppo say we’re a good side etc/ plus on MOTD you’ve got no choice but to listen to the managers’ pm comments!

Mourinho is a possession based manager though, it’s not like his United side have 32% possession at home to Stoke is it?

Mourinho’s a paranoid, delusional arsehole that was perfect in the noughties but football has moved on. Guardiola approaches near enough every game in a positive manner and gets results, Mourinho is reactionary and doesn’t.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Finnegan said:

What he's essentially said is that United are where they are, they're not a great team anymore, you don't just get that over night, City spent years building a team and if you expect United to do the same they need time.

I didn't listen to the speech. But if that's an accurate precis I'm glad I didn't. Manu have had the same number of years Man City have to 'build a team'. Given the money they chucked at it they've done a pretty shit job. The point is they've wasted that time, maybe more so than any other English club given their resources and 'pull factor'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gerbold said:

He 'plays' the media -  just in a different manner to most of the other managers. He also 'plays' other managers. You're right - he has no time for foolish questions or foolish interrogators - which is a breath of fresh air. There's over much pandering to stupidity - in the country as well as within football. But I don't see many "fake" managers around. They're cautious and try to be diplomatic - which is sensible in a sport where four adverse games can mean fans baying for ones sacking.

Personally I detest everything United stand for - I detested Fergie (although I certainly admired his ability as a manager). I just couldn't stand his bombastic attitude - that and the chewing gum.

I began to lose my affection for United when they stopped being 'genuine' - maybe around the time they began to whore themselves around for money from anyone who'd jump on their "global brand" bandwagon and became the darlings of every fanboy on the planet. I certainly lost any remaining respect I'd had for the club when they were bought out by the asset-milking Glazers in 2005. Not their choice I suppose, but it's inevitably tainted their reputation with those fans of football who'd considered them their 'second' favourite team -  an affection that had grown, especially after Munich and when they won the European Cup in '68. Maybe it's the whole plastic fan, media brown-nosing thing that's so irritating.

When we beat them 5-2 it was almost as good a feeling for me as when we won the Premier. 

As to the "over-hyped baldy" and the "passion merchant" - I know who I'd rather be sat around a pub table with, talking football - and it's not Mourinho.

I used to love watching them when they had the Greenhof brothers, Macari, Pearson up front with Steve Coppell on one side and Merlin Hill on the other ...    gone downhill since then ...  

18 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

He 'plays' the media -  just in a different manner to most of the other managers.

As to the "over-hyped baldy" and the "passion merchant" - I know who I'd rather be sat around a pub table with, talking football - and it's not Mourinho.

He doesn't act like a fake nice guy.

Would rather hear jose's stories. He seems crazy enough to have some amazing tales . Jose's players seem to like him. Klopp too may have some amazing stories, just like Pep (read some of his book).
It just seem like Jose is a great "back in my heyday" storyteller so i would like to hear from him instead of the Axe Murderer or the Spanish Magneto (Talking just about football is another matter)

Edited by the fox