Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

1 hour ago, Gerbold said:

He 'plays' the media -  just in a different manner to most of the other managers. He also 'plays' other managers. You're right - he has no time for foolish questions or foolish interrogators - which is a breath of fresh air. There's over much pandering to stupidity - in the country as well as within football. But I don't see many "fake" managers around. They're cautious and try to be diplomatic - which is sensible in a sport where four adverse games can mean fans baying for ones sacking.

Personally I detest everything United stand for - I detested Fergie (although I certainly admired his ability as a manager). I just couldn't stand his bombastic attitude - that and the chewing gum.

I began to lose my affection for United when they stopped being 'genuine' - maybe around the time they began to whore themselves around for money from anyone who'd jump on their "global brand" bandwagon and became the darlings of every fanboy on the planet. I certainly lost any remaining respect I'd had for the club when they were bought out by the asset-milking Glazers in 2005. Not their choice I suppose, but it's inevitably tainted their reputation with those fans of football who'd considered them their 'second' favourite team -  an affection that had grown, especially after Munich and when they won the European Cup in '68. Maybe it's the whole plastic fan, media brown-nosing thing that's so irritating.

When we beat them 5-2 it was almost as good a feeling for me as when we won the Premier. 

As to the "over-hyped baldy" and the "passion merchant" - I know who I'd rather be sat around a pub table with, talking football - and it's not Mourinho.

Good post pretty much sums up most peoples views of them. For me it's to arrogant belief of self entitlement.

I enjoyed them in the Tommy Doc days. they were bright and exciting to watch with Wingers.

As for Mourinho's comments this Week after the defeat. If I was Utds Hierarchy I'd have sacked him straight away.

2 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

I didn't listen to the speech. But if that's an accurate precis I'm glad I didn't. Manu have had the same number of years Man City have to 'build a team'. Given the money they chucked at it they've done a pretty shit job. The point is they've wasted that time, maybe more so than any other English club given their resources and 'pull factor'

I don't disagree with any of that at all. 

But the point Mourinho was making is that he's not solely responsible for their situation. 

He wasn't so much defending the club as a whole as basically saying "look, united have been shit without me, you can't blame me exclusively for them being shit now" and he's not really wrong. 

In essence, you're kinda agreeing with him. 

I hate the guy really, I think he lost the plot over the last few years and probably isn't anywhere near as good in 2018 as he believes himself to be. He's in danger of being the next Wenger, which would be quite ironic, if he doesn't get his head sorted and find the courage that took him to the heights in the first place. 

Pussing out of going for Sevilla and putting them to the sword is shameful. 

But he's not responsible for the fact their squad is shit and there's no real winners there.