Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harry - LCFC

General Election, June 8th

I know one prediction I will have got right, the reaction in this thread. Before deciding which way to vote I will see which party campaigns for an improved NHS,better school, rights for the sick and disabled and improvement in social care. I will focus on the party not the leader. We are not America.

37 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Translation from May's statement:

'I knows I will beat Corbyn easily but might lose a General Election to another Labour leader if they binned him off before 2020.'

Politicans doing politics...

True.

Also....

"I know that the economy will face major problems over the next 2 years"

"I know that the deficit, uncertainty, unemployment and further cuts will cause more social problems over the next 2 years"

"I know that UKIP is buggered as we've stolen half their policies and they've replaced Farage with an uncharismatic pathological liar"

"I know that the SNP already has nearly every seat in Scotland"

"I know that, under FPTP, there is only a limited number of seats that Lib Dems can win, barring a political earthquake"

Politicians doing politics, as you rightly say.

1 minute ago, Rincewind said:

I know one prediction I will have got right, the reaction in this thread. Before deciding which way to vote I will see which party campaigns for an improved NHS,better school, rights for the sick and disabled and improvement in social care. I will focus on the party not the leader. We are not America.

Well, with Moose being absent, and MattP seemingly still banned, it just might stay reasonably civilised.

I won't hold my breath, though.

20 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Pointless unless you're Theresa may of course.

Even Tory voters must be sad that there is so little opposition to them, democracy thrives when there's a strong opposition.  

Sad times.

I agree, and I hope Labour emerges from this more quickly than it would if we waited until 2020 for the next election.  The risk is that Labour get organised and deselect anyone decent in the next couple of weeks as they have threatened to, then there really is no one sensible in there at all.

42 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It will turn in to a referendum on brexit and so voting for anyone other than Labour, regardless of how wishy washy Corbyn was on the issue, would be suicide if you're pro remain.

If Labour campaign for basically the softest brexit achievable then the entire remain camp needs to just bite the bullet and lump behind them.

Surely even the most dedicated Labour supporter can see that this leadership could not form a Government.  They can barely agree on what day it is.

34 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

You definitely aren't ruling out the Tories then, good man.

May could live to regret this, though not in the short term.  I expect the following:

1.  A Conservative victory.

2.  A Labour defeat so comprehensive that it may well result in Corbyn losing the leadership.  I know that he appeals to traditional Labour voters but feel that he does not command the broad support which would be necessary for Labour to regain power.  If he loses the leadership this may well strengthen Labour in the medium term.

3.  A Liberal Democrat party with a significantly increased share of the vote.  I expect the Lib Dems to campaign as the only UK-wide party wishing to reverse Brexit and therefore anticipate they will pick up votes from the 48% of the populace who voted against Brexit in the referendum.  This again is likely to strengthen them in the medium to long term.

4.  The SNP will most likely also use the vote as a pseudo Scottish independence referendum.

5.  UKIP to disappear.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

You definitely aren't ruling out the Tories then, good man.

I suppose he did say 'which party campaigns for' an improved NHS, rights for the sick and disabled, and improvement in social care, rather than 'which party will actually deliver on' all those things, so yeah good point

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Surely even the most dedicated Labour supporter can see that this leadership could not form a Government.  They can barely agree on what day it is.

What's the alternative? A Tory government that softens the blow of a disastrous brexit by cutting even more public services until the entire public sector is just a skeleton framework of contractors getting rich?

Woooowww that's appealing.

3 minutes ago, benpicko said:

I suppose he did say 'which party campaigns for' an improved NHS, rights for the sick and disabled, and improvement in social care, rather than 'which party will actually deliver on' all those things, so yeah good point

Yeah my mistake. Although I did see a news report from ITV where Corbyn pointed out that there were several Labour MP's doing good work in those areas now, one of them being Jon Ashworth MP for Leicester South and something he pointed out the media does not report on. The interviewer asked Corbyn why his policies were not knownand Corbyn replied it was up to the media to report on them.

7 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

JON! ive missed debating with you! guessing you are staying as blue as 2 years ago then? 

:) While I dislike the idea of a huge majority / weak opposition, I am fully supportive of most of what the Tories are doing in terms of Brexit approach, and tightening spending I think is essential, albeit painful and not always well targeted.  So yes, but with caveats.

1 minute ago, Rincewind said:

Yeah my mistake. Although I did see a news report from ITV where Corbyn pointed out that there were several Labour MP's doing good work in those areas now, one of them being Jon Ashworth MP for Leicester South and something he pointed out the media does not report on. The interviewer asked Corbyn why his policies were not knownand Corbyn replied it was up to the media to report on them.

So hang on, you are not as open minded as your initial post suggests?  I am shocked.  You seem to have made your mind up already.

Archived