Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Harry - LCFC

General Election, June 8th

Well, that's an interesting piece of news to wake up to.

What mechanic will May use to call the GE? A no-confidence vote that she'll instruct to have passed? Abolish the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act? Or some other thing I've not heard of? Can anyone shed any light on that?

As for the outcome, I agree with the general consensus here - increased majority for the Tories, Labour get shafted probably followed by Corbyns position becoming even more untenable, and the Lib Dems making gains by appealing to Remain voters.

Also...

44 minutes ago, Beliall said:

Please unban @MattP I would like to know what he has to say, now and leading up to the election

If it is possible, this. He's a smart political contributor and there are those on here far more inflammatory and vindictive and less knowledgable that have been banhammered.

5 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Think that's more down to who's in charge of the opposition party. 

yet Corbyn has a better chance of being the next prime minister than anyone from the one issue parties. If people would rather vote for someone without an industrial or economic strategy because they won't hold their nose that's up to them

I'll be voting lib dem as i simly cannot vote for the labour party as they currently are, Labout will have to really change my opinion of them if this is to change. For me this election is more about sending an anti brexit and ant labour message! I still hope in the fallout we get a huge shake up of political parties with a new left of centre party that can actually provide a proper opposition and start taking common sense. It probably won't happen, but thats my hope!

46 minutes ago, Beliall said:

Please unban @MattP I would like to know what he has to say, now and leading up to the election

I don't know anything about any ban, but I second this motion if @MattP is under a long-term ban.

If he is, it was presumably imposed after an argument with me 2-3 months back (though I didn't complain to the mods, just objected openly in the forum).

I disagree with Matt about most political issues (though we agree on a few, too). But his posts are often original, humorous and/or well-argued contributions to debate.

Occasionally, he goes a bit far....but don't we all? Well, OK, most of us don't go quite as far as he does... 

But aren't those occasional conflicts worth tolerating for his positive contribution to debate?

Or can't those problems be dealt with by others arguing back in threads (my intention at the time), or by short-term bans, if absolutely necessary?  

That last comment applies to everyone, including me, of course, not just Matt..... @Mark?

@Webbo?

Just now, Strokes said:

So the anti brexit mob are going to vote Lib dem in protest? Are you sure you know what you are voting for? Hypocrites lol 

I'm anti Brexit and I can categorically say that I don't want to vote Lib Dem because we all know what happened last time they got a whiff of power.  Turning one's back on one's policies for the sake of a seat at the high table is not a good look.

Then again I don't want to vote Labour or Tory either.  The next few months are going to be pivotal.

There have been some weird banning orders recently, such as Webbo banning the whole Trump thread for becoming too bad-tempered, to be replaced by another identical Trump thread. What is Trump other than being a licence for people to be as bad-tempered as possible? I can't imagine what MattP has done to deserve this, all his posts, while not being something I could necessarily agree with, are knowledgeable and informative.

22 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

yet Corbyn has a better chance of being the next prime minister than anyone from the one issue parties. If people would rather vote for someone without an industrial or economic strategy because they won't hold their nose that's up to them

I think it's more down to the fact Corbyn doesn't really have a Prime Ministrial air about him - you just don't see him as being a good leader.

His only chance would be if the local candidates put up seem so good to enough people, the voting public forget the fact that voting for their local Labour MP could constitue to Corbyn being PM - but that won't happen.

A sitting MP can help maintain existing support in an area, but in order to get seats you don't hold swinging in your direction, you have to have a leader that's got a positive perception with the public, to aid your prospective MP against the incumbent.

The fact that May 'seems competent' to many a voter only aids the Tories and only deepens the sorry situation Labour finds itself in. 

Just now, DJ Barry Hammond said:

I think it's more down to the fact Corbyn doesn't really have a Prime Ministrial air about him - you just don't see him as being a good leader.

His only chance would be if the local candidates put up seem so good to enough people, the voting public forget the fact that voting for their local Labour MP could constitue to Corbyn being PM - but that won't happen.

A sitting MP can help maintain existing support in an area, but in order to get seats you don't hold swinging in your direction, you have to have a leader that's got a positive perception with the public, to aid your prospective MP against the incumbent.

The fact that May 'seems competent' to many a voter only aids the Tories and only deepens the sorry situation Labour finds itself in. 

Tim Farron hardly has a prime ministerial sir about him, he is probably on the spectrum.

1 hour ago, Rincewind said:

Anyway I think May is hoping to lose so she can blame everything that is fecked up on Labour and Corbyn including the nuclear holocaust.

Nope, she is going to win a sizable majority so she can ignore the minority of her backbenchers who seem keen to **** up BREXIT negotiations in one direction or the other.

Archived