Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

North Korea

Guest FriendlyRam

Theyve been talking WW3 for years lol

Usually every week theres a picture of a nuke going off with "WW3" headline proceecing it. I think people should be use to it by now tbh, and yet we still await WW3....

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

North Korea's potential nuclear weapon ability to reach anywhere within the US is a "reality, and not a threat", says Kim Jong Un..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42531574

Just hope Trump doesn't bite back and further escalate the situation.

Kim said very clearly that their nukes are for defence only and would only be used if they were attacked. He went on to talk about sending a delegation to South Korea to talk about the winter Olympics. The nukes have always been about self preservation. NK are never going to attack first.

35 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Kim said very clearly that their nukes are for defence only and would only be used if they were attacked. He went on to talk about sending a delegation to South Korea to talk about the winter Olympics. The nukes have always been about self preservation. NK are never going to attack first.

This has been true all along and will remain true, unless he and the entire leadership to a man/woman suddenly have a collective death/lose everything wish. They're not exactly paragons of virtue but they are predictable and as has been said all along, self-preservation is their guiding light and attacking the South in any way does nothing for that.

I do hope they send a delegation to Pyeongchang if it helps open dialogue.

21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Further to the Olympic thingy, here's a front page from one of the biggest Korean newspapers today:

Rough translation of the headline is "Pyeongchang, Pyeonghee-ro: the 80-day Slalom Race."

But the pic says it all, really.

26195663_10103688321710636_7732259123217677967_n.jpg

Why is Stephen Colbert pushing the sled?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't understand why South Korea - having turned into a modern, progressive country; is interested in competing under one flag with a impoverished country run by a dictator? 

Yes, very good that they're 'getting along' and competing under 'one flag' is completely great and all - but the two places couldn't be further apart in terms of quality of life. 

Why would SK want to be in any way aligned with a country guilty of such crimes against humanity? 

Doesn't it damage their reputation? Do they think they can encourage NK to become more progressive?

I'm sure there's plenty of political reasons for it but I don't see how it benefits SK's image at all tbh. 

35 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

I can't understand why South Korea - having turned into a modern, progressive country; is interested in competing under one flag with a impoverished country run by a dictator? 

Yes, very good that they're 'getting along' and competing under 'one flag' is completely great and all - but the two places couldn't be further apart in terms of quality of life. 

Why would SK want to be in any way aligned with a country guilty of such crimes against humanity? 

Doesn't it damage their reputation? Do they think they can encourage NK to become more progressive?

I'm sure there's plenty of political reasons for it but I don't see how it benefits SK's image at all tbh. 

Because SK understand, more than most who give their view on this matter, that putting up shows of togetherness like that is the first step towards a solution that will improve that NK quality of life - without the drawback of leaving hundreds of thousands of folks dead and their own country laid waste. 

So yes, they absolutely believe that they can encourage NK to become more progressive - they have to believe it, because the only other solution to the problem damages a lot more than just their reputation.

16 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

So yes, they absolutely believe that they can encourage NK to become more progressive - they have to believe it, because the only other solution to the problem damages a lot more than just their reputation.

thanks for the answer. let's hope so eh! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43014269

More promising news - amazing what a good Olympics does, isn't it?

It could, or if it isn't already, prove awkward between the two counties and the US?

Think there's more to this than meets the eye imo.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

7 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

It could, or it isn't already, prove awkward between the two counties and the US?

Think there's more to this than meets the eye imo.

Possibly, but then the US administration is going to have to choose, isn't it? Do they back these talks and let the Koreas get on with it, or do they make a noise and seek to drive a wedge between them again?