Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tielemans63

Shakespeare

He has to have it. He got us through the Sevilla game and his tactics last night were so close to working. The players were so organised it was clear that scenarios had been played out and drilled in training. We were set up excellently in both situations. He has also secured our prem status (pretty much) in less games than we all thought would be possible. 

In some ways the rest of the season really doesn't matter. We will have injuries and a bit of a hangover from last night, so it wouldn't surprise me if we have a bit of a dip in results. But he should still get the job! 

I will lose faith in the game completely if he doesn't. 

We have already been linked with players though, and Shakey said he had given the recruitment team an idea of players he thinks would be good additions. I doubt this would be happening unless he has already been told it's his. 

What more could he have done to earn it? I really have scrape the barrel to come up with any criticism of his brief tenure. 

I don't think we need a glamour name to attract players, players that follow glamour names to clubs are not the sort who fit in, at Leicester. Give the man the job!

Requirements for a manager:

1.  Must be tactically astute and able to select the correct players and formation for different scenarios

2.  Must be able to get the best out of the players

3.  Must be able to attract quality players to the club

Shakey has, IMHO, done well enough in his short time in charge for (1), appears to be good at (2) and is as yet unproven at (3).

It would be a risk to bring in a new manager who appeared to be good at (3) if he was likely to be less effective than Shakey at (1) and (2).  That would result in us having a high paid, quality squad that wasn't performing to its potential on the pitch.  Discontent and loss of belief and motivation are recipes for relegation.  I'd keep him.

1 minute ago, Crazy Kop Corner said:

The guy has it and fits the club perfectly.

Recruitment is now going to be a key factor and hopefully the club will be able to attract some real tried, tested and accomplished Premier League talent rather than the continental punts we made last summer.

Think I actually trust Shakespeare's judgement over ranieiri's

Give Shakey the job and the nescessary funds to really buy some higher quality players that can improve the team and squad. That was our Achilles heal last summer and we paid the price.

I believe our team is certainly capable of finishing regularly in the Top 6. We upset the order last season, and with no European football next season we can concentrate all our energies into the league, winning a cup (league/FA) would be a bonus.

The club can reach newer heights, we just need the vision in place. Expand the stadium, build Shakey's back room staff etc.

This may be the end of this era but our future is bright.

9 hours ago, Thracian said:

I find it laughable that any fan would want an alternative to Shakespeare as manager. The bloke's been excellent. Even tonight in the circumstances. 

I think he has every everything to become a great manager. Some of his decisions against Madrid at home might be questionable (Ulloa not starting, Amartey instead of Gray...)  but all in all it belongs to the learning process and his performance was excellent for a game of this Magnitude, against one the best managers in the world.

Overall a very, very positive balance since he took over and I'm sure the owners see it that way.

Weird comments by Danny Mills.

'I feel sorry for Craig Shakespeare'

Ex-England defender Danny Mills on BBC Radio 5 live:

"Ranieri wasn't on anybody's radar and clearly they went for a big name and it worked.

"There's just part of me that feels a little bit sorry for Craig Shakespeare because the same thing might happen again.

"He almost becomes unemployable because wherever he goes. If he goes in as a number two, the moment you have a bad game [people will think] he's going to want the job and someone's going to get sacked.

"So no-one is going to want to employ him as a number two. Does he get a big job as a number one? I think that will be difficult. Will he want to step down to the Championship? Probably not, because he's still very inexperienced."

I think he's showed enough to get the Job on a two year Contract. He knows the Club and players inside out that he doesn't need any bedding in time to make a difference. His future will be defined by the players he brings in this Summer. I hope he doesn't fall into the trap of keeping players just because he's got to know them personally. That's one of the hard parts of the job is to tell any player they are no longer needed. if he adds the quality needed then things should go well for us and in turn him. Like some of the players he has a bit to learn but it's all part of the job.

As for last night I think he got the whole approach wrong. We could have achieved the fairy tale with better use of the Squad and tactics.but ultimately we failed because of our poor signings last Summer. 

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Weird comments by Danny Mills.

'I feel sorry for Craig Shakespeare'

Ex-England defender Danny Mills on BBC Radio 5 live:

"Ranieri wasn't on anybody's radar and clearly they went for a big name and it worked.

"There's just part of me that feels a little bit sorry for Craig Shakespeare because the same thing might happen again.

"He almost becomes unemployable because wherever he goes. If he goes in as a number two, the moment you have a bad game [people will think] he's going to want the job and someone's going to get sacked.

"So no-one is going to want to employ him as a number two. Does he get a big job as a number one? I think that will be difficult. Will he want to step down to the Championship? Probably not, because he's still very inexperienced."

It's almost as if no number 2 has ever taken over a team once the manager has been left and expressed a desire to take the job permanently. What is wrong with showing ambition, he's more than earned his stripes!  Mills = bald clown.

I don't think the boss got it too wrong, centre half was not right, brought Chilwell on and he created havoc down the left hand side. big difference was bringing a target player on in ulloa, maybe should have started with him.  

I'd be suprised if he doesn't get it now, and i'd be happy enough with that. I was a bit reluctant at first but I think he's earnt an opportunity and I don't really trust the owners in choosing an alternative if I'm honest. He will need help though, either someone to control transfers and recruitment (that isn't Rudkin) or someone to help out on the training pitch.

3 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

Requirements for a manager:

1.  Must be tactically astute and able to select the correct players and formation for different scenarios

2.  Must be able to get the best out of the players

3.  Must be able to attract quality players to the club

Shakey has, IMHO, done well enough in his short time in charge for (1), appears to be good at (2) and is as yet unproven at (3).

It would be a risk to bring in a new manager who appeared to be good at (3) if he was likely to be less effective than Shakey at (1) and (2).  That would result in us having a high paid, quality squad that wasn't performing to its potential on the pitch.  Discontent and loss of belief and motivation are recipes for relegation.  I'd keep him.

Spot on this. I think they should give Shakespeare the job and get someone in who can deal with transfers and negotiations etc ( not Rudkin). Would love Shakespeare in charge and Walsh come back as DOF. Would never happen though unfortunately 

Been a bit unsure if he should get it permanently but I'm getting more and more convinced that he could be up to it.

He's been very assured since he took over.  Simeone bettered him slightly but he's dealt with those setbacks before (Cardiff, Watford, Pre-great escape) and he seems to know what makes the club tick. Pearson was his own worst enemy in front of the media but his management team have been almost flawless at spotting diamonds in the rough. I'd like to think that Shakespeare could carry that on.

The big name manager more often than not doesn't work well at all for us.

Its a bit after the lord mayors show from here on this season but Arsenal and Tottenham are big games for Shakespeare. The lads are crestfallen so he's a job on his hands to lift them again. If the players want him they'll be up for the fight.

10 hours ago, chuck'em said:

I'm sure you must be a troll but I'll bite anyway. Of the 4 games since those first 6, 2 were against Atletico Madrid. They have reached the Champions League final twice in 3 years and are one of the best sides in Europe. The other 2 games both came a couple of days before these matches. We obviously had one eye on the huge games to come. We don't have the squad of Chelsea or Man City. It doesn't matter that we won the league last year, we are miles away from being able to properly go for it in 4 big games in 14 days. Lets keep building our team OUR way, otherwise next season in the Premier League could well be like the first half of this, but without a man to save us.

Exactly this. We restricted one of the best club sides in the world to a dodgy penalty away from home, then were unlucky against their rock solid defence to only draw at our place. 

All of this while playing with untried CB pairings, missing our captain for 80% of the minutes. 

And the 2 away games were against sides who are in decent form at the minute, while we rotated personnel and played with a different game plan and intensity. Again, while missing key defenders.

Shakespeare has done nothing so far which makes me question his ability to lead this squad long term. Recruitment remains to be seen, but otherwise it has to be him, for me. 

12 hours ago, Struwwelpeter60 said:

It's really funny.

When CR played  three at the back 

against Chelsea and replaced in the second half

a CB (Huth) with an offensive player (Okazaki) he was

afterwards crucified for it in this forum.

CS ,however, is hailed as being brave

for doing exactly the same (Benalouane out/ Ulloa in).

lol did you watch both of the matches? Could you genuinely not see a clear difference between the two performances where one lead to 1 shot and the other to around 16?

Defo same thing there mate.

Edit: Looks like I am about 10 hours behind on this one as usual.

If he does get the job full time this summer is going to be such a tough one.

What we failed to do over the summer was to add players who could fit into the same style but add that little bit of extra quality to what we already have. I love Okazaki but I feel his time as a guaranteed starter must nearly be over, who would realistically be a replacement who could add goals.

Then he has the dilemma of the young and promising Gray and Chilwell. They must both be itching to cement a regular place in the starting 11 but does he drop Fuchs and if Riyad stays him aswell? And if that is the case would a change in style/ formation be needed? That was Claudios downfall but Shakey looks able to help the team adjust a bit more than CR did.

Either way, I am sure he will get the chance he deserves to lay the foundations for the next chapter in our history.

Can't understand why anyone wouldn't want Shakey as our next manager. To those saying he won't be able to attract player, do you really want us to sign players that are only coming because of the manager? I want players to come here because they want to play for Leicester City.

13 minutes ago, matty98 said:

Can't understand why anyone wouldn't want Shakey as our next manager. To those saying he won't be able to attract player, do you really want us to sign players that are only coming because of the manager? I want players to come here because they want to play for Leicester City.

Well we do at least have one. He didn't take Ranieri's sacking very well, never got over it and is still banging the "betrayal" drum.

Like an annoying friend who got dumped by his girlfriend although they weren't made for each other, he's making the world responsible for his own demise, still raving about her and taking a dump on any other other girl (including yours) no matter how smart/cute/cool/whatever she could be.

14 hours ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Let's be honest if we came out at the start of the game like we did at the second half we may have stood a chance, that has to be down to management :(

But the game plan in the first half was not to concede surely - that's why we sat back initially in fear of the away goal. If we had came out the blocks like the second half and conceded, everyone would have been asking why we didn't set up defensively. If we hadn't have conceded from their one real threat in the first half and went on to win the game 2-0 then he would have been a genius.

Archived