Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

Did Our Golden Era Just end ?

2 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

The owners have shown they aren't afraid to put the money made back into the club, which is more than a lot of the lower tier prem teams can say. What we need is decent scouts, so instead of spaffing 50million on stones or 90million for bang average pogba we can spend our money wisely.

Every year we hear "the big teams will improve!!!", who, honestly, out of the big teams has improved this season? Chelsea were always a top team, just in a wobble. Liverpool still wildly inconsistent, utd being carried by the finishing of zlatan who could move on, man city still have a doggo defense, everton players getting ready to move on to bigger things. I would say Spurs are the only team to improve, but every time they seem to make it they lose key players too.

Without the distraction of europe and with a few quality signings, we could easily be competing up there again. I'm sure of it.

But they have improved.

Our 81 points from last year wouldn't win the title this year or even get us runners up.

I honestly think as long as we keep Shakey as boss we can push on.

Steve Walsh may even make a return? 

As long as we keep the spine (Kasper, Huth, Drinky, Ndidi, Vardy)

If we play 110% every game next season like we have under Shakey I see no reason why we can't make top 6

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

But they have improved.

Our 81 points from last year wouldn't win the title this year or even get us runners up.

Okay, so ignoring spurs, who I've said have improved, minus our results from the top bunch and look again. Did they improve or did we get worse? :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

Okay, so ignoring spurs, who I've said have improved, minus our results from the top bunch and look again. Did they improve or did we get worse? :thumbup:

Well Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool have improved.  You might have mentioned them but then you are defeating your own argument.  The points tally needed to win the league has increased so that kind of proves the point.

7 hours ago, Innovindil said:

The owners have shown they aren't afraid to put the money made back into the club, which is more than a lot of the lower tier prem teams can say. What we need is decent scouts, so instead of spaffing 50million on stones or 90million for bang average pogba we can spend our money wisely.

Every year we hear "the big teams will improve!!!", who, honestly, out of the big teams has improved this season? Chelsea were always a top team, just in a wobble. Liverpool still wildly inconsistent, utd being carried by the finishing of zlatan who could move on, man city still have a doggo defense, everton players getting ready to move on to bigger things. I would say Spurs are the only team to improve, but every time they seem to make it they lose key players too.

Without the distraction of europe and with a few quality signings, we could easily be competing up there again. I'm sure of it.

We should hire southamptons scout and make him DOF 

Some years ago I posted in a thread where the OP proposed that we would be happier in the Championship that the Premier League because we would win more matches.  I said then that we should aim for the top and I'll say it again.  Just because we've been there once doesn't mean we can't achieve in the future, what we need is the players, staff and systems to make that happen.

I also said in that post that we should make the journey in three stages:

1.  Promotion

2.  Stability

3.  Glory

Well we seem to have done (1) and (3) whilst missing out on (2).  We still need to do that though because if this is to be a continuing era rather than one that has just ended we have to have the stability and the expectation to be a regular top ten finisher in the PL.  We are in an unprecedented good position to build our club up from its slightly humble past to a greater institution, as other clubs have done before us.  I hope that we take that opportunity.  There will always be naysayers who would be more comfortable to see us decline and say 'I told you so'.  I'm happy to leave them with their views but I want the people in my club to be of the opposite mentality.  No-one reached the stars by aiming at the ground.  We can do great things again.

"Golden Era". lol

It's going to take a bit more consistency, positive results, trophies and time to call it an "era", @GaelicFox.

For what it's worth, I don't think we're done yet. We might not win the league again in the foreseeable future, but there's other competitions we can aspire to be a part of:

• A decent FA Cup run for once
  • Qualifying for the UEFA Europa League  - there's lots of adventures to be had here, working our way through the qualifiers, grinding out results, traveling to remote European outposts, making new friends, making new fans
  • Champions League qualification - see above

10 hours ago, GaelicFox said:

The least few years have been bonkers , they brought amazing joy and memories to last forever 

•The return to the promise land

•The great escape

•becoming Champions of England

•making it to be one of the best 8 teams in europe

For me all this constitutes a GOLDEN ERA , but following last nights exit from the Champions league there is a seriously strong feeling in the media and amongst the general football community that last nights exit could signal the end of our Golden Era ....

what do people think ?

1) Will we win the league again ? 

2) Will we qualify for The Champions league again? 

3) Will this squad win a domestic cup ?

4) and is This really the end of our Golden Era ? 

Be interesting to see how confident/ positive people are ...

Completely confident. It's not first time we've been successful - we've had successful spells in the past - but we're in an outstanding position to achieve more given the blessing of having outstanding owners, a respected and experienced coach/manager at the helm - a respectable squad of players to build on and the confidence from having achieved things already.

There are always going to be disappointments whether it be being categorically robbed of our Champions League place or robbing ourselves of a potential FA Cup success by fielding a team of reserves but everything that's happened has been part of a learning curve related to either a different level or a different intensity to what we've normally been used to.

I don't believe we'll hit the buffers or crash straight through them. I've always believed in the potential of our club and even more strongly so now.         

10 hours ago, Harry - LCFC said:

The Europa League is on my mind too. I'd love to be in it.

Apparently the players believed they could win CL, I thought before tournament QF, Europa however that's a different story, if we qualified for that kept most of the squad, I'd believe we would have a chance of winning that.

Really important question this.

For me, the Golden Age hasn’t necessarily ended, but a chapter of it certainly has.

I take comfort from the ambition of the owners who said that would make money available for us to become a regular challenger for European football. I'm sure than ambition has not faltered. They have hardly put a foot wrong so far (expect for sticking with CR too long, but you would understand why they hesitated).

Hopefully they will be asking themselves some big questions - notably - why did we do so badly in the transfer market? The entire process is so opaque than its speculation from anyone on here, but there has to be an explanation.

Doing better next season depends on this because we have to plan for a succession.

For some of the players maybe yes for multiple reasons - squad players, released/sold etc but as a club no. 

I think ink this is just the start, it may take a good few years to hit champions league again and maybe winning the premier league could be a once in a lifetime experience but I still think this club is on the up. 

Few years hitting top 8, good cup runs and europa league can still lead to some very exciting times. 

If we'd finished 14th, 12th, 10th in our 3 prem seasons I think we'd all be feeling pretty optimistic about the direction we were heading in.

Might not hit the dizzy heights of the last 18 months but this is a talented bunch and we have a great chance to add more achievements to the list.

I do feel like I need a little break now from football - its been so all consuming for the past 2 years. (A couple of weeks should do it!)

We need to stay up which I'm sure we will and then the excitement will build for me again during the summer transfer window depending on who we sign / keep.

I feel a little sad that our CL ride is over and a little washed out by it all if I'm honest - It'd be great if we could attract some talent and quality over the summer and win a few matches before the end of the season to put us well over the 40 mark.

4 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I do feel like I need a little break now from football - its been so all consuming for the past 2 years. (A couple of weeks should do it!)

We need to stay up which I'm sure we will and then the excitement will build for me again during the summer transfer window depending on who we sign / keep.

I feel a little sad that our CL ride is over and a little washed out by it all if I'm honest - It'd be great if we could attract some talent and quality over the summer and win a few matches before the end of the season to put us well over the 40 mark.

Ha, love it! The fans need a rest too, it's the least they owe us.

2 weeks, 'Chizit Fortnight', not even a transfer rumour, pure silence to recuperate, we're emotionally drained. 

Can you send the email please. 

1 minute ago, Danny Clender said:

Ha, love it! The fans need a rest too, it's the least they owe us.

2 weeks, 'Chizit Fortnight', not even a transfer rumour, pure silence to recuperate, we're emotionally drained. 

Can you send the email please. 

Could you just write an open letter on my behalf please?

Could be wishful thinking but I don't believe that we will fade away.

Dortmund, Atletico and ourselves are part of this decade's football revolution and if there's a challenge ahead it coule be to match their standards. With all the talk of breaking the top 6 I'd try and look to those 2 first and foremost and emulate what they have done.

It's not a surprise that topics like this exist and one of the things that hurt most about Tuesday was that it might be true.

We're a bit sore over the penalty in the first leg but it might be a motivation for the club. Not only that but all the talk about how we were a fluke could inspire the club to keep proving people wrong. Every player walking through the door has an image of victory ahead of them. That's a big thing in our favour now.

In full flow we've overwhelmed teams recently and that's a fear teams will have coming to the King Power.

Start next season well and everyone's excited again.

Besides I want some new emoji's too. :dry::pearson::wes::vardy::schmike::cap:

highly unlikely we or any club our size will win the league again but you never know, i just want us to establish ourselves as a regular top ten finisher for a few seasons and then push on to top four - six. as long as we keep making progress and maintaining ourselves like Southampton for example when they regularly lose their best players and manager!

will we qualify for the Champions League again, again hard to see with the big clubs getting stronger still but again you never know. It's hard to see anyone else apart from Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs qualify for the Champions League in the immediate future!

Will we win a domestic cup! we don't really target the cup competitions at least not under Claudio, anything is possible in a one off knockout competition but again is highly doubtful but not impossible. if we can get to the latter stages of one of the cup competitions it would be great.

we've had golden eras before like the Martin O'neill era but if players like Mahrez and Kasper leave it will certainly feel like the end of a golden period for the club

NO !!

Let's hope Its the start of something great for this club the owners will have seen the Champions League as a holy grail and will push towards that goal but I really think with keeping some of this squad that we have and building around theme  ,the owners may be prepared to spend big in the summer to hopefully replicate another great era in our history and who's to say we can't build on our recent performances and successes and finish in the Top Four next season ?

well who knows they said Little Leicester would never win the Premier League and we would never make it out of our Champions League Group,bit now I'm beginning to believe we can achieve Anything because we've achieved greatness and we can do it again !!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS AND IN LEICESTER CITY WE TRUST !!

:scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf:

:schmike:

If it is the end of an era, it means it's the beginning of a new one. I feel quite optimistic when looking at some of our younger players: Gray, Chilwell, Ndidi, Amartey, Barnes etc. Maybe I'm wrong, but it does feel like we have a succession plan in place and if Shakey gets the job full time then we have a man who has been a pivotal in our progress overseeing the club's immediate. I'd be more than happy supporting a mid-table premier league that challenges in the domestic cup competitions. It's funny because I'm not usually an optimist. 

14 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

We're Leicester and we have a built-in self-destructive streak. Forget qualifying for the CL again or winning the damn title, I'd like to think we can become PL mainstays with an extended stay and establish ourselves as a team a cut above relegation battles ala Stoke, West Brom, Saints. Somehow though the pessimist in me fears we'll be back in the 2nd tier all too soon....

Completely agree. We skipped about 14 stages of development given what we did last year. Bare in mind only 6 teams have ever won the PL. We need to become an established Premier League team, sign consistently good players and hopefully rise in the same way Tottenham and Everton have done. We're also Leicester - the most ridiculous, erratic and cardiac-arrest causing team in the world, so I don't expect that to happen without going on another rollercoaster. 

Archived