Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Best opposition players that you've seen at the King Power/Filbert Street?

Seen some greats over the years, Paul Gascouigne had a couple of great games, Eric Cantona, David Ginola, Ronaldo, Henry, some absolute superstars in the late 90s early 2000s.

But as an individual performance no one who was in the ground that night could look beyond Dennis Bergkamp, that hat trick has to be up there with the best ever hat tricks. Was a joy to watch a player score against us.

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Ruud van Nistelrooy and Alexis Sanvhez both scored a hattrick at our place.  Both were outstanding. 

For me it has to be Dennis Bergkamp. Genius player who scored a hattrick at Filbert Street. His 3rd goal was the best goal at our place up until Angel di Maria eclipsed that with a sensational goal in 14/15. People often forget Di Maria's goal because they bottled a 3-1 lead and we beat them 5-3.

Di Maria's goal in that game is not even fit to lace Bergkamps goals boots. How it's even mentioned in the same sentance is beyond me.

1 minute ago, SystonFox said:

Di Maria's goal in that game is not even fit to lace Bergkamps goals boots. How it's even mentioned in the same sentance is beyond me.

Bergksmp goal was class in so many ways. Di Maria goal was so underappreciated at the time though. The result glossed over his goal. The composure and technique to leave Kasper motionless, with 2 players closing in on him in a tight space was sheer world class.

36 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Griezman wasn't at his absolute best, but you could see that he just has so much class. He just finds space so easily. 

Completely agree, he was a lot quicker than i thought he would be, works hard for the team as well.  I just didn't think he "set the world alight" on Tuesday.

3 hours ago, whetstonefox said:

I remember David James having an absolute blinder in goal for Watford in Little's first season, sure it was the same game the kop told Jimmy Willis to feck off...our own player! 2 years later MOTM at Wembley!

I was about 10 when we watched this!! David James made some unbelievable saves that day and, I think Watford beat us 1-0. Liverpool signed him not long after.

i also remember Dwight Yorke absolutely running the show when he played for Sunderland and took them off the bottom of the league and get them promoted.

Not one of the greats at all lol but a memory that came to mind.

Remember in the Championship when Danny Drinkwater was at Barnsley and they played us at the KP and won. He was immense in midfield. Totally bossed it. Think he scored that day too.

Was pleased when I eventually heard we were gonna sign him

A few come to mind:

Leighton Baines           2014 (our first game back in the PL - ripped us apart down the left)

Cole /Yorke                 1999 (they did one of those combination goals - one shouts and the other dummies it - so simple but so effective)

Zola / Bergkamp          late 90s - they've been mentioned above

Andy Gray                  1985 (scored twice for Everton)

Peter Beardsley          1984 (first game of the season  for Newcastle)

Kevin Keegan             1981 (for Southampton)        

Sheff Weds                 1979 - yep - the whole team! in the cup replays with Arsenal (Filbert Street used as a neutral ground - amazing nights)

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Adriano Basso - Leicester 0-0 Bristol City 2008.

Great shout actually - we should have won that by three or four but for him. Chuck in that and losing 1-0 at home to Preston the following Tuesday having iirc 4 goals disallowed. Had the chances to score eight over two games, scored 0. Our attack that season really was bollocks.

Anybody who saw Jimmy Greaves in his pomp should count their blessings, rubbish pitches, rubbish ball, but the man was magic. My all time hero, sad to see him in his current state, but simply the best in his day and no forward has played against Leicester in the last 55 years who is better. IMO. 

Greaves was definitely the best forward I ever saw play, followed maybe by Bergkamp. Plenty of good players obviously, but based on personal experience never rated Best or Charlton. Saw them both play a dozen or more times, but apart from the November 1965 game they were normally rubbish. 

Sorry, having played 50 years myself up front, not really thought about any midfield / defenders! I know us old timers are considered out of touch, but thought I would have my two penn'orth! 

Archived