Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BenTheFox

Best opposition players that you've seen at the King Power/Filbert Street?

Bergkamp. Scored a hat trick against us in a 3-3 draw at Filbert. My Dad made us leave early when it looked like they scored a late winner, only for Walshy to equalise way into stoppage time. Never forgave my Dad for that lol 

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Great shout actually - we should have won that by three or four but for him. Chuck in that and losing 1-0 at home to Preston the following Tuesday having iirc 4 goals disallowed. Had the chances to score eight over two games, scored 0. Our attack that season really was bollocks.

That game sticks in my head for some reason. I'm glad you've said that though as it gives me faith in my memory lol I remember it as a complete travesty we didn't win the game. A win in that keeps us up that year as well.

1 hour ago, BoyJones said:

Anybody who saw Jimmy Greaves in his pomp should count their blessings, rubbish pitches, rubbish ball, but the man was magic. My all time hero, sad to see him in his current state, but simply the best in his day and no forward has played against Leicester in the last 55 years who is better. IMO. 

Greaves was definitely the best forward I ever saw play, followed maybe by Bergkamp. Plenty of good players obviously, but based on personal experience never rated Best or Charlton. Saw them both play a dozen or more times, but apart from the November 1965 game they were normally rubbish. 

Sorry, having played 50 years myself up front, not really thought about any midfield / defenders! I know us old timers are considered out of touch, but thought I would have my two penn'orth! 

It's really interesting seeing what the older generations have to say on this. Despite being 22 years-old I still don't quite buy into what people of my generation say when talking about past players. For instance, 'oh the game is quicker now', it'd just 'pass them by'. I also argue that players of previous generations had different obstacles to overcome, as you say heavy pitches, the ball and also the fact that you could get away with heavier tackles. 

2 hours ago, kushiro said:

A few come to mind:

Leighton Baines           2014 (our first game back in the PL - ripped us apart down the left)

Really good shout that, for the younger generation which I am, unfortunately wasn't there at the bergkamp 3-3 and other suggestions but this does stick out for me, the attacking threat he possessed in that game was immense particularly for a full back. Another one from that season was John Terry in our great escape run in, an absolute wall at the back and just felt like every attack we had was gonna be stopped by him

6 hours ago, weller54 said:

Juninho for Middlesbrough.. Late 90's. 

Destroyed us single handedly in the first 45 minutes at Filbert Street,  think they were 3-0 up at halftime!.. Was an awesome performance! 

That was probably the only game I remember when one player destroyed us. At the other end Shilton in goal against us sometime early 80s looked absolutely unbeatable.

9 hours ago, Koke said:

Bergksmp goal was class in so many ways. Di Maria goal was so underappreciated at the time though. The result glossed over his goal. The composure and technique to leave Kasper motionless, with 2 players closing in on him in a tight space was sheer world class.

It's a good goal, and im not doubting you on that. And I do agree it was under appreciated because of the result.

but to mention it alongside Bergkamp.... no way man!

6 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

It's really interesting seeing what the older generations have to say on this. Despite being 22 years-old I still don't quite buy into what people of my generation say when talking about past players. For instance, 'oh the game is quicker now', it'd just 'pass them by'. I also argue that players of previous generations had different obstacles to overcome, as you say heavy pitches, the ball and also the fact that you could get away with heavier tackles. 

Very true about the tackling, not much protection in those days from the officials.

Also good point about the "game is quicker now" etc. I started playing adult football in 1967 and still (try) to play now down at Enderby, occasionally Goals and a couple of real games for charity once or twice a year. Obviously the youngsters are much faster than me now, but on the ball you adapt, quicken up and as long as you have some composure you cope ok. Skilful players of my generation would have adapted easily to the "modern" game. 

A couple in our team used to play five a side with Izzet, Guppy, Walsh and one other, can't remember, two years ago and were amazed at how talented, strong and fast they all still were although all pushing mid forties / early fifties. It opened their eyes to the absolute difference in class.

If i can include games that didn't involve Leicester - Ronaldo & Roberto Carlos when Brazil played Jamaica (Loved the carnival atmosphere at that game too)

If i can include friendly games - Ronaldinho

For competitive games - Dennis Bergkamp was insane

I've got a memory of Warren Barton dominating a game from right back for Wimbledon v us @ Filbo in the very early nineties...

am am I going insane, or, can anyone remember?

either that or that hatrick from Bergkamp !!!

Probably Juninho for Boro although I am incapable of appreciating quality from opposition players.  I can't understand people who can applaud brilliance from the opposition.  They are the enemy and they are there to hurt us.

Ian Banks made an impression on me when he played for Barnsley - powerful midfielder, with an eye for goal. Delighted when we signed him. Ronnie Glavin, a free scoring midfielder, and a certain Mick McCarthey also looked good for Barnsley that day - we were lucky to win 1-0.

Iain McCulloch, Notts County winger, ripped us to shreds in the first game of the season back in the First Division under Milne, when we lost 4-0.

Chris Kelly of Leatherhead. Before the FA Cup tie in 1974, he had given us some lip. We all thought that he would eat his words. He heads in to make it 2-0. 

Archived