Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DANGEROUS TIGER

FRENCH ELECTIONS

7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That being true or not, isn't the speciality of such folks supposed to be being "rational" and so not going full-bore over this?

I think being upset the day after a decision doesn't go your way is quite rational. It'll be irrational if they are still bitching about it 6 months from now mind. 

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

I think being upset the day after a decision doesn't go your way is quite rational. It'll be irrational if they are still bitching about it 6 months from now mind. 

I'm sorry...I was under the impression that "true alphas" never get upset regardless of circumstances not going their way in politics - at least not upset enough to display it publicly - because that's being a "snowflake"...right?

Sorry if I'm pushing the boat out here but there seems to be more than a mite of hypocrisy on display.

Just now, leicsmac said:

I'm sorry...I was under the impression that "true alphas" never get upset regardless of circumstances not going their way in politics - at least not upset enough to display it publicly - because that's being a "snowflake"...right?

Sorry if I'm pushing the boat out here but there seems to be more than a mite of hypocrisy on display.

You do seem to be overreacting to what is largely a small percentage of ragers, yes. Although I'll agree that the ones kicking off are pretty big hypocrits. 

And everyone gets upset with the right stimuli, don't think I've ever met a person that was different tbh. 

13 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

You do seem to be overreacting to what is largely a small percentage of ragers, yes. Although I'll agree that the ones kicking off are pretty big hypocrits. 

And everyone gets upset with the right stimuli, don't think I've ever met a person that was different tbh. 

Oh yes, I have no doubt that this is a vocal minority (though the Twitter feed of Leave.EU might be classified as pretty mainstream and their reaction was...interesting), and that everyone does get upset in the right situation - it's human, after all.

I just find amusement in the same folks denying that they feel such emotion/deriding the 'other team' for showing it and then doing the same thing themselves when something like this happens.

The reaction to this result on social media among the Alt-Right can be recreated at home.

All you need to do is wait until December 24th and tell a five year old that Santa Claus isn't real.

6 minutes ago, Bilo said:

The reaction to this result on social media among the Alt-Right can be recreated at home.

All you need to do is wait until December 24th and tell a five year old that Santa Claus isn't real.

You've been fishing for hours now, time to pack it up.

I didn't want Le Pen to win, but I would have definitely liked it to have been much closer. I'm not sure why people are over reacting it's been plain from polling she didn't stand a chance, regardless of who she came up against in the final round. More people actively despise her/her party, than actively support it.

Dunno how people who don't live there can comment. France have suffered absolute horrific terrorist attacks over the past year and a half, no wonder people wanted the far right in.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Dunno how people who don't live there can comment. France have suffered absolute horrific terrorist attacks over the past year and a half, no wonder people wanted the far right in.

That depends on whether or not a person felt that such attacks were the most important matter for a new government and whether or not electing Le Pen would actually help with this.

Evidently the answers were "non" to at least one of those points.

37 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Think you're underestimating the intelligence of the average French person there. It's obvious that victory for Le Pen would encourage more terror attacks given she'd be happy to stoke the islam vs the west rhetoric ISIS are peddling.

My OH is French. All the French I know considered this election a debacle, with two unelectable candidates. A douche or a shit sandwich. I guess knowing the French and their love for good food, a shit sandwich was not on the menu. 'Douche' is French for shower, so better to have a shower of shit than dookie in your teeth. A lot of spoiled votes and non-votes in protest, but some of those who did vote Macron, know that the alternative would surpass Trump's awfulness for their country.

49 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Electing a far right lunatic who'd have caused even more division in France would have made the situation infinitely worse and acted as a recruiting advert for Daesh.

2 hours ago, z-layrex said:

No I just don't like people acting like a WUM over politics. It's a particular bugbear of mine.

I'm merely enjoying the irony of the Alt-Right calling their political opponents snowflakes and then behaving like spoiled children when their pinup gets roasted in Paris.

10 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yes I know, but the official propaganda which the Government sent me says a vote to leave the EU meant leaving the single market, and I believed them.  So there.

800px-2016_EU_Referendum_Ballot_Paper.sv

What David Davis said and what are ballot paper said may differ but for at least the next five years David Davis is not the Emperor General of the United Kingdom.

5 hours ago, Foxxed said:

800px-2016_EU_Referendum_Ballot_Paper.sv

What David Davis said and what are ballot paper said may differ but for at least the next five years David Davis is not the Emperor General of the United Kingdom.

Yes, however the leaflet sent round, and Cameron and Osborne in interviews, were clear leaving the eu meant leaving the single market. It doesn't actually have to be the case, we could negotiate for an EFTA style arrangement, but to claim there was no mention of leaving the single market is disingenuous- there was, people either didn't believe it (very likely, there seems to be a lot of British exceptionalism going around over this), or didn't think it as a problem

12 hours ago, Fox92 said:

11 hours ago, Bilo said:

Electing a far right lunatic who'd have caused even more division in France would have made the situation infinitely worse and acted as a recruiting advert for Daesh.

I find it astonishing that people can not see how a far right government causing division suspicion fear and separation would only serve to recruit home born polarised ethnic minority individuals to terror groups and exarccerbate the issue further - this is exactly what ISIS / Daesh need to further their ambitions.

On 4/20/2017 at 19:15, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Yes, I know, another thread on elections, which will begin shortly but the result of this will have a drastic effect on Brexit. In the two favourites we have a far left politician, and a far right politician.

Hopefully M.L.P. of the far right will win, as she is anti-Europe. That would be a hammer blow to the EU, and will give us far more leverage for a hard Brexit, which we need. She is also a French flagship, on clamping down on immigration!

My hope and belief, is that France and the UK, will become strongly bonded, on both the economic, and social front, if she wins.

You want LePen to win yet you want Mahrez in your team? Slightly hypocrtical..

Well she lost anyway. Thank god.

3 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Yes, however the leaflet sent round, and Cameron and Osborne in interviews, were clear leaving the eu meant leaving the single market. It doesn't actually have to be the case, we could negotiate for an EFTA style arrangement, but to claim there was no mention of leaving the single market is disingenuous- there was, people either didn't believe it (very likely, there seems to be a lot of British exceptionalism going around over this), or didn't think it as a problem

The government leaflet did NOT say leaving the EU meant leaving the single market. Here's the leaflet: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/why-the-government-believes-that-voting-to-remain-in-the-european-union-is-the-best-decision-for-the-uk/why-the-government-believes-that-voting-to-remain-in-the-european-union-is-the-best-decision-for-the-uk#a-stronger-economy

Here's the relevant bit:

"No other country has managed to secure significant access to the single market, without having to:

• follow EU rules over which they have no real say
  • pay into the EU
  • accept EU citizens living and working in their country"

It's true that Cameron & Osborne falsely claimed that leaving the single market was inevitable, but it's completely disingenuous of Leave supporters to cite that false claim. It was part of "Project Fear", the rest of which they disbelieved!

Yes, the Leave side told even worse lies, but Remain did engage in "Project Fear", talking up the prospects of an emergency budget, immediate recession - and the UK "inevitably leaving the single market". They mistakenly thought that such tactics, including the prospect of leaving the single market, would scare people into voting Remain. Why would Leave voters disbelieve the rest of Project Fear but believe the claim that we would inevitably have to leave the single market? Answer: they didn't and don't, they just disingenuously use Cameron & Osborne's false claims as tactical ammunition.

Whether we left the single market was always a choice - and it still is. Norway, Switzerland, Iceland & Liechtenstein are all in the single market (with exceptions) despite being outside the EU. Of course, if we chose that route we'd almost certainly have to compromise and accept freedom of movement to a large degree, and continue to make some payments to the EU - but the choice was and is there. Barring a volte-face, we seem set to leave the single market - but that is the result of a policy decision taken by the Tory Govt and approved by parliament, not an inevitable consequence of the referendum result.

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

The government leaflet did NOT say leaving the EU meant leaving the single market. Here's the leaflet: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/why-the-government-believes-that-voting-to-remain-in-the-european-union-is-the-best-decision-for-the-uk/why-the-government-believes-that-voting-to-remain-in-the-european-union-is-the-best-decision-for-the-uk#a-stronger-economy

Here's the relevant bit:

"No other country has managed to secure significant access to the single market, without having to:

• follow EU rules over which they have no real say
  • pay into the EU
  • accept EU citizens living and working in their country"

It's true that Cameron & Osborne falsely claimed that leaving the single market was inevitable, but it's completely disingenuous of Leave supporters to cite that false claim. It was part of "Project Fear", the rest of which they disbelieved!

Yes, the Leave side told even worse lies, but Remain did engage in "Project Fear", talking up the prospects of an emergency budget, immediate recession - and the UK "inevitably leaving the single market". They mistakenly thought that such tactics, including the prospect of leaving the single market, would scare people into voting Remain. Why would Leave voters disbelieve the rest of Project Fear but believe the claim that we would inevitably have to leave the single market? Answer: they didn't and don't, they just disingenuously use Cameron & Osborne's false claims as tactical ammunition.

Whether we left the single market was always a choice - and it still is. Norway, Switzerland, Iceland & Liechtenstein are all in the single market (with exceptions) despite being outside the EU. Of course, if we chose that route we'd almost certainly have to compromise and accept freedom of movement to a large degree, and continue to make some payments to the EU - but the choice was and is there. Barring a volte-face, we seem set to leave the single market - but that is the result of a policy decision taken by the Tory Govt and approved by parliament, not an inevitable consequence of the referendum result.

I believed them. I feel duped, can i change my vote to hard brexit please?

17 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I believed them. I feel duped, can i change my vote to hard brexit please?

:D

There's never been any public vote on Hard Brexit. Sorry, you can't vote for or against it. :thumbup:

Archived