Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Banning 'The Sun'?

Ban The Sun?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. Ban The Sun?

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

Sky never ran a story blaming them for the deaths and accusing them of robbing dead bodies...

Maybe not. But collymore and that little irish twat walked away from talksport when they took over didn't they?

Mud sticks.

The reality is that if people stopped buying the fecker then problem solved right? But people pretty much have a right to do what they want with their own money.

Other than like illegal stuff though of course...

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, MPH said:

The reality is that if people stopped buying the fecker then problem solved right? But people pretty much have a right to do what they want with their own money.

Other than like illegal stuff though of course...

I can't stand the paper, it's shit.

If we did ban it I'd start buying it out of principle just to piss off this small vocal group of fascists who run around these days thinking they can silence or ban anything they don't like.

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think they all need to get off the moral high ground. Ban the sun for printing lies, but then sing about munich with such delight. But i suppose they think that's ok because of man u fans singing about hillsborough. Fvckin crazy.

Thats a huge generalization.

You cant really make a connection between those who were at the hillsborough disaster and survived it and/or lost loved ones in it and those singing this song.  You have no way of knowing if its the same people or not...

Just now, MattP said:

I can't stand the paper, it's shit.

If we did ban it I'd start buying it out of principle just to piss off this small vocal group of fascists who run around these days thinking they can silence or ban anything they don't like.

See your point.. 

Do we live in a dictatorship, no, pathetic to ban a newspaper because they make stuff up, all papers do, if you don't like what they write, don't buy it, but somebody else might like it, and by banning it, it takes away their freedom of choice.

The 3 Merseyside clubs mentioned, have clearly agreed to banned it, after the Hillsborough headlines, and understandably, as they insulted the dead, and blamed the fans for killing their own, when we know it was the police fault.

Bit different from a racist footballer from leicester, caught acting racist, and like a chav

56 minutes ago, MPH said:

Think you are misunderstanding...

Its the reporters as more so than the actual newspaper that are banned from attending all press conferences/ media events...

Fair enough, maybe I did. The point still stands, why should we ban a newspaper because certain people don't like it? The Mirror is the biggest load of shit out there, I'm not campaigning for that to be banned?

PS I don't read the Sun either.

26 minutes ago, MPH said:

Thats a huge generalization.

You cant really make a connection between those who were at the hillsborough disaster and survived it and/or lost loved ones in it and those singing this song.  You have no way of knowing if its the same people or not...

Im not but I'll garrantee one thing, there ain't any Leicester fans there singing it, or Portsmouth, West Brom, qpr etc and I bet if you ask any Liverpool fan, they're not singing it either

What exactly does banning the Sun accomplish? They could still write stories about us. It's not like you need a media credential from the club to write things about them. It's not like we're taking away their ability cover or create our next scandal.

The stories at the heart of Liverpool's resentment were both appalling and indefensible.

I'm also amazed they were accepted editorially and actually passed through the sub-editing stage and, quite likely, even more authoritative vetting at a later stage.

Like others, I entirely understand the banning by Liverpool FC, Everton and later, Tranmere Rovers but disagree with it becoming political because where do you draw the line in terms of banning and are the public really unable to make their own choices?

Banning can easily become a form of censorship and that's a seriously dangerous road to take in any so-called democracy even though there's plenty of voices I'd like to hear the last of - starting with Vaz, Blair, Corbyn, everything to do with the Scottish Nationalists, Jean Claude Juncker, Erdogan and, well., you see my point and get the picture! :D  

So no I wouldn't broaden the ban because I  wouldn't have a ban at all.

Especially one that now involves support from a Labour council, in a Labour stronghold and is aimed at a notably Conservative newspaper.

No I don't think the banning is necessarily politically driven. But there may be political advantage being taken and it's become a politically tainted exercise now that the council has become involved, and there's no telling what else might be banned in the future, by Labour authorities or any other politicals in power particularly as there's often a fine line between Labour and Marxist/Communism and everyone knows how much political censorship Communist strongholds like Russia and China have experienced.

And just to make it clear, no, I wouldn't want want a conservative council to be involved in such a banning either. Or anyone else. No-one forces anyone to buy The Sun any more than the Mirror or the Big Issue.  

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3791994/Liverpool-council-backs-ban-Sun-Hillsborough-coverage.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_City_Council

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

I don't like The Sun anymore than the next person. It's a disgrace.

But we're not Scousers. Let's not be petty and embarrassing like them. We've not even got a good reason to take it personally.

Are Scousers petty and embarrassing (over Hillsborough), or are do they have good reason to be angry with the Sun? It can't really be both.

I agree our case for such a ban is much weaker than Liverpools.

29 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

The Sun is a rag.

But banning stuff you don't like is illiberal and unbritish.

It's that simple.

Echoes my thoughts. 

It's a disgusting gutter press piece of shite but they have a right to print regardless of how IQ-lowering the content is. Does it deserve criticism from the public and press regulations? Certainly, but banning does nothing but give them more of a spotlight, and is exactly what a free-thinking & secular society should frown upon. 

As others have pointed out, why open a can of worms by announcing the banning of a paper. I seem to recall some of the families from the recent enquiry talking about finally having closure having been told their loved ones were in no way responsible for what happened. 

There's a big difference between closing down a newspaper (unacceptable) and a company choosing not to engage with that newspaper. If a football club decides not to allow in journalists from a newspaper, or not to sell that newspaper, it's not 'censorship', it's perfectly acceptable imo. 

Archived