Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Banning 'The Sun'?

Ban The Sun?  

263 members have voted

1. 1. Ban The Sun?

• Yes
    • No

The Sun isn't a newspaper. Its an Entertainment Magazine. It doesn't tell news. It spreads rumours and and is more interested in what kind of clothes female politicians are wearing rather than the real political issues at hand. I guess the type of content the Sun carries says a lot about the mindset of the people who buy it.

To be fair though, in my experience of being on construction sites where almost everyone buy the sun, most of the readers jump straight to the back pages to read the sports sections, then bin it when they're done. The majority of people i know who buy the sun are not interested in any political or current news, they just buy it for page 3 (not any more, of course) and football stories.

4 hours ago, Royston. said:

the sun is my newspaper of choice so is it alright if i continue to buy it but just keep it at home?

Which newsagent? We can chuck rotten fruit at you on the way home. After that, you can read it if you wish.

14 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

The Sun isn't a newspaper. Its an Entertainment Magazine. It doesn't tell news. It spreads rumours and and is more interested in what kind of clothes female politicians are wearing rather than the real political issues at hand. I guess the type of content the Sun carries says a lot about the mindset of the people who buy it.

To be fair though, in my experience of being on construction sites where almost everyone buy the sun, most of the readers jump straight to the back pages to read the sports sections, then bin it when they're done. The majority of people i know who buy the sun are not interested in any political or current news, they just buy it for page 3 (not any more, of course) and football stories.

I get The Sun (I get most, if not all leading papers) when I do a paper run after a City game.

I find the bits about Leicester, occasionally read a bit more and then just bin it.

when you start banning things because you disagree with them that is how dictatorships start! we should take the high ground and be above all that. yes it is a horrible paper but people have the choice to read it or not, at least we all have a choice!

Yeah I think people don't seem to realise football clubs are not public bodies and they're not publically owned, as Finn eluded to. This is about private businesses preventing associated employees of another private entity onto their land after making up lies, and following the will of their customers.

Some of you are making out like this is the start of a great freedom of speech repression, when it's just stopping someone coming on privately owned land...

We froze out Radio Leicester because of their treatment of our manager, I would have had no problem with the club doing the same to the Sun after the Vardy story especially the blatant hypocrisy from a paper that used the term Jap in a number of headlines branding Vardy a racist.

On a wider level the Sun needs to be heavily scrutinised by the press standards, it regularly publishes lies as facts to push their own agenda, yes people are free to read what they want, but not when it comes packaged as news and is often anything but.

Guest MattP
5 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I'm all for freedom of speech and freedom of the press - however

lol

I don't believe you for one minute, you would ban everything you disagreed with given half a chance if you could get away with it.

Just now, MattP said:

lol

I don't believe you for one minute, you would ban everything you disagreed with given half a chance if you could get away with it.

I'd ban anything that at times had lacked integrity and spawns divisiveness Matt.... including you lol

However I was thinking about you earlier wondering where you were in Buce's Black Management thread to mention something about me being offended on behalf of others!

Now get out of general chat!

18 hours ago, nnfox said:

The Merseyside clubs have a valid local reason for not selling it.  We don't.

Well you could argue that in smearing football fans and making their families lives much more difficult that making a principled stand as a whole footballing family would be a good thing to do

18 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Im not but I'll garrantee one thing, there ain't any Leicester fans there singing it, or Portsmouth, West Brom, qpr etc and I bet if you ask any Liverpool fan, they're not singing it either

Thats like saying because some twat Leicester fan through an empty beer bottle in Madrid, the Madrid police were justified in baton hitting a man  sitting round the corner

4 hours ago, foxy boxing said:

when you start banning things because you disagree with them that is how dictatorships start! we should take the high ground and be above all that. yes it is a horrible paper but people have the choice to read it or not, at least we all have a choice!

I don't think some clubs no longer inviting the Sun to their premises will wind up in the next Kim Jong Un ruling over us tbh. No real reason for us to ban them though. 

It might sound a bit 'civil libertarian', but I don't see why we have to react to everything we dislike by banning it. I'm not sure you should infringe on freedom of speech, or of the press, purely in order to damage something which you consider immoral.

The Sun is powerful because people aren't educated enough in, say, politics to dismantle what it's saying. But you could say pretty much the same about the Mail, Express, Star, Mirror and so on. In fact you could also say it about our main political parties. Look at the Brexit debate and try to pull apart the lies of Boris Johnson on one side or George Osborne on the other.

I agree that a newspaper has a theoretically essential role in a free society, and that what The Sun does puts the press's role under the spotlight to an extent that people trust politicians more than they trust those who are meant to keep an eye on them. I see that this is dangerous.

So I'd understand lawmakers making a stand by saying that when an article is found to be misleading then an apology of the same dimensions, in the same place in the newspaper, and for twice the duration, is an obligation. In other words, if you lie on your front page then your next two front pages will be an equivalent apology. Such a move would change practices because for a month or two half of the newspaper's prominent pieces would be apologies. In its own way, it would serve to educate readers.

But you have to hesitate before you ban something. Just because I despise The Sun, or The Mail, or The Mirror, doesn't mean I have to support authoritarian measures in order to make my point.

Even when it slags off Leicester City...

I don't see why people get so wound up about a newspaper or how it can affect a persons life so badly they have to cause a drama. Stuff like the "daily fail" etc really annoys me too (and that's not me saying that because I read the mail, I don't lol) 

Archived