Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Derby/Notts County FCs

9 hours ago, Wookie said:

Stockport?

Found this.

"In 1890 the Club changed their name to Stockport County Association Football Club (it is believed as a result of Stockport becoming a County Borough in 1889)."

8 hours ago, Webbo said:

The thing about Notts County is that isn't an abbreviation, their official name is Notts, what's that about?

I've also found that the easiest way to annoy a Forest fan is to call them 'Notts' Forest. Such a simple tactic yet so effective :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Webbo said:

The thing about Notts County is that isn't an abbreviation, their official name is Notts, what's that about?

Notts is short for Nottinghamshire as Leics. is short for Leicestershire and differentiates it from Leic. for the City of Leicester.

7 hours ago, davieG said:

Notts is short for Nottinghamshire as Leics. is short for Leicestershire and differentiates it from Leic. for the City of Leicester.

I know that but why not call themselves Nottingham County? Our name isn't Leics City.

6 hours ago, Koke said:

Another little fun fact. 

Port Vale and Arsenal are the only 2 English league clubs whos names are not derived from a geographical location.

MK Dons'  name must be derived from two locations that are further apart than any other combined-locations-named-club's-locations (i.e. Brighton & Hove). Though technically the "dons" part isn't a direct geographical reference, so much as a reference to people of a different geographic background ....in which case Plymouth Argyle is probably the most distant-combined-names-club's-geographic-based-name-combination...er, club. 

At any rate MK Dons must be the only English league club who officially abbreviates their name (apart from FC/AFC etc).

20 hours ago, Koke said:

Another little fun fact. 

Port Vale and Arsenal are the only 2 English league clubs whos names are not derived from a geographical location.

Don't quote me on this, but I am sure Port Vale were named after a geographical location when they were first formed.

Something to do with ports on a canal, near where they played their original home games.

This goes back to an ole Vale supporting mate I had at school, and I went to school a long time ago, so cannot remember the full story.

Arsenal were originally Woolwich Arsenal which is a geographical location when they moved they dropped the Woolwich bit.

On Saturday, April 22, 2017 at 09:48, Aus Fox said:

Don't quote me on this, but I am sure Port Vale were named after a geographical location when they were first formed.

Something to do with ports on a canal, near where they played their original home games.

This goes back to an ole Vale supporting mate I had at school, and I went to school a long time ago, so cannot remember the full story.

Port Vale were formed at Port Vale House and were originally Burslem Port Vale.

On 22/04/2017 at 10:28, davieG said:

Arsenal were originally Woolwich Arsenal which is a geographical location when they moved they dropped the Woolwich bit.

Excellent, we all now know Arsenal was a trendsetter for MK Dons.  Another reason to hate them after last night! 

19 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Genuinely didn't realise the station at Arsenal was named after the club, learn something new every day.

Was aware they used to be in Woolwich but assumed there'd been an arsenal in Highbury prior.

Whos the only club that plays every game away?

Archived