Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicesterpool

Happy St George's Day

On 23/04/2017 at 14:44, Rincewind said:

ST Patrick's Day is a piss up. St Georges Day is Morris dancers hitting each other with flowers.

Which one do you prefer? To me its a no brainer.

My grandfather is like an old legend in the Leicester morris men scene. Bless him he lost part of one of his legs (above the knee) a few years back so can no longer  participate. Not my cup of tea but he loves it.

16 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Could be a coincidence, but the people on my facebook feed posting Happy St George's Day stuff are the same ones who post Britain First and other right wing shite constantly. 

That's why everyone needs to celebrate it and not dismiss it, if we make a big deal out of Saint George's Day then racists can't.

16 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Could be a coincidence, but the people on my facebook feed posting Happy St George's Day stuff are the same ones who post Britain First and other right wing shite constantly. 

You're talking nonsense Stripey ! ...    I'm not right wing at all and am quite happy to just put my black clothes on and goose step up and down the High street to celebrate this fine day ...  

41 minutes ago, Captain... said:

That's why everyone needs to celebrate it and not dismiss it, if we make a big deal out of Saint George's Day then racists can't.

All this flag waving, outside of football tournaments, is not British. 

Just now, Webbo said:

All this flag waving, outside of football tournaments, is not British. 

You say that, yet every 17th March pubs are waving Irish flags and Guinness flags and make a big deal out of another country's patron saint.

The fact that we do it at sporting events shows we aren't adverse to it, we just seem to shy away from doing it purely for the joy of being English. make St George's Day an event and you will see the best of British in most places, and probably the worst in a few isolated incidents.

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

You say that, yet every 17th March pubs are waving Irish flags and Guinness flags and make a big deal out of another country's patron saint.

The fact that we do it at sporting events shows we aren't adverse to it, we just seem to shy away from doing it purely for the joy of being English. make St George's Day an event and you will see the best of British in most places, and probably the worst in a few isolated incidents.

That's just a promotion for Guinness, who care's about the Irish bit?

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

That's just a promotion for Guinness, who care's about the Irish bit?

Maybe that is what Saint George's Day needs, a brewery or a beer to promote it like Carling or Tetleys, I know Carling is poor but they are probably the biggest English lager.

Just googled it and Carling actually originated in Canada, who knew that?

9 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Maybe that is what Saint George's Day needs, a brewery or a beer to promote it like Carling or Tetleys, I know Carling is poor but they are probably the biggest English lager.

Just googled it and Carling actually originated in Canada, who knew that?

There have been promotions by real ale firms. I had an email last week from Steamin' Billy where I could print out a buy 1 get 1 free voucher for Sunday. The fact is as a whole we're just not interested and I kinda like that. Our cool indifference is a very British trait.

Would George be proud of:

The current NHS situation?

Immigration latest?

Housing (building too many houses)?

The education system?

I suspect he's up there thinking some things are alright as they are, but many things remain unsolved that makes Britain a lesser country than those still going to remain in the EU. :dunno:

On 25/04/2017 at 13:33, bovril said:

Pretty dull anthem, too.

I suppose you can't have everything.

Depends what you consider the main anthem for England, we may sing "God Save The Queen" but at the end of the day it's actually the british anthem. But that topics been spoken a number of times. In my opinion if an Englishman doesn't celebrate St Georges Day but celebrates St Patrick's Day, is a bit like not buying a present for your own dad, instead you'd rather spent money on the old man next door.  

Archived