Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Gray willing to play waiting game to become regular Leicester City starter

Demarai Gray says he is willing to play the waiting game to become established as a regular starter for Leicester City.

The 20-year-old winger has become a big crowd favourite after some electrifying cameos this season.

Gray has started three of the last four Premier League games, but was again on the bench for the 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace and the Champions League quarter-final second leg against Atletico Madrid.

However, the former Birmingham youngster has started just 10 Premier League games since joining from Blues in January 2016 with 27 of his top-flight appearances coming off the bench.

Gray admits he has found it frustrating but said he is willing to take his time and improve his game sufficiently by listening to manager Craig Shakespeare and watching his City team-mates like Riyad Mahrez and Marc Albrighton.

Demarai Gray admits he has to be patient with Riyad Mahrez and Marc Albrighton ahead of him

"It's what you'd expect really," said Gray. "It's been tough because when a team is winning, which they have since Shakey has taken over, I don't expect to jump in the team.

"But he hasn't said anything in depth, just little things that all wingers need to work on.

"At my age, consistency is important. As long as I can stay consistent I'm confident I can keep my place in the team.

"There is always room for improvement. I'm still young and I'm still learning the game so I watch Riyad and Marc and the people that start every week.

"I wouldn't pinpoint any particular thing but I've always got to improve and, when my times comes, do what I do.

"Shakey always gives me the licence and tells me to go forward and do what I do.

"That's the same for Riyad but we've both got to get back in and help the team because that is our job, we have to get up and down.

"I'm confident to play whenever I'm called upon. I want to play week in, week out and I'm sure every player wants to.

"When you're not playing, you get frustrated but the manager makes his decisions and I've just got to work my way into the team."

It certainly has been an adventure for Gray since he arrived at the King Power Stadium.

He joined a City side that went on to become Premier League champions and, this season, he has experienced Champions League football as well as the departure of Claudio Ranieri.

"It's been a rollercoaster for the team and myself," he said. "There have been lots of ups and downs but we will stick together and we all believe in each other and know what we're capable of.

"I think the best side of us is coming out now. We're back at our best."

13 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Now we're practically safe I'd rather him get minutes than Riyad and Albrighton, he's got a lot to work on but he'll only improve if he's playing.

You're probably right, but if Mahrez gets sold this summer he'll probably get his opportunity sooner than anticipated. I suspect Mahrez will start to get rested a lot if Shakey's resigned to losing him.

"It's what you'd expect really," said Gray. "It's been tough because when a team is winning, which they have since Shakey has taken over, I don't expect to jump in the team"

"Shakey always gives me the licence and tells me to go forward and do what I do"

Who was the tit that came on here telling everyone that nobody calls him Shakey at the club?

The club needs to be clever managing his development. He needs to be given every opportunity to stake a claim for a regular first team place along with giving him enough rest and recuperation time and will sometimes have to be taken out of the squad for his an good.

20 minutes ago, stix said:

"It's what you'd expect really," said Gray. "It's been tough because when a team is winning, which they have since Shakey has taken over, I don't expect to jump in the team"

"Shakey always gives me the licence and tells me to go forward and do what I do"

Who was the tit that came on here telling everyone that nobody calls him Shakey at the club?

Obviously someone with some shaky info.

If he can start making some better decisions when in possession and develop a bit more awareness of other player's positions then he is going to be one hell of a player. He's got all the other attributes 

He needs to go back to playing how he did in our title winning season. Doing the simple things, being a team player instead of going for glory everytime.

Him & Lawrence as back up next season would create some healthy competition.

Gray is right, showing à big carachter with respect and pushing for a starter ,   Hope mahrez get  rested next mch and  let Gray start and  mahrez enter second half to  replace Albrighton 

It's a complete myth that he's got a poor attitude, the reality is he absolutely loves playing football and is so eager to make a name for himself. I think we'll see him mature next season when he's given Riyad's gig full time.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's a complete myth that he's got a poor attitude, the reality is he absolutely loves playing football and is so eager to make a name for himself. I think we'll see him mature next season when he's given Riyad's gig full time.

I don't think it's a complete myth, his arsey cryptic tweet(s) earlier on in the season suggest otherwise. Being amongst our squad will surely help him mature though as we've got so many fantastic professionals.

36 minutes ago, Wookie said:

I don't think it's a complete myth, his arsey cryptic tweet(s) earlier on in the season suggest otherwise. Being amongst our squad will surely help him mature though as we've got so many fantastic professionals.

Agreed.

The whole squad seemed to have the hump earlier in the season and the discontent manifested itself in differing ways - frustrated tweets in his case 

Just now, Redouane said:

Move Riyad central, play gray and albrighton on the wings for the remaining games. Bench Shinjii and play Vardy up front

Shinji and Vardy works to our strengths for majority of games.

No need to accommodate Gray when there are players that are more beneficial to us for the most part.

At the moment, Gray is an impact player and works well if he comes on in final 20-30 minutes when we're chasing a game or holding on to a game by playing on the counter when teams are attacking us. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I remember a few months ago Gary Rowett was on Sky talking about how good a kid Gray is and how willing he is to learn and improve. We certainly saw Gray look up and play players in more against Everton then he did earlier in the season. Like any player he needs game time to improve and i think he will, if Shakey trusts him to play within his game plan.

Hopefully next season we have Riyad, Gray, Albrighton and Lawrence to pick from on the wings. But in the event we lose one of them it would be nice to have an athletic speed merchant like Schluup or Dyer to give us that extra option to stretch defences and reach the byline.

19 minutes ago, EnglishOxide said:

Hopefully next season we have Riyad, Gray, Albrighton and Lawrence to pick from on the wings. But in the event we lose one of them it would be nice to have an athletic speed merchant like Schluup or Dyer to give us that extra option to stretch defences and reach the byline.

Never understood the love for them. we already have one and he doesn't even make it to the bench. Gray combines technique and speed and fills exactly the "impact player" role. Let us instead invest in a quality CM. That's where we're in dire straits.

Archived