Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

Disney Films

Everyone grew up watching Disney films. Everyone had their favourites (If your favourite wasn't either Aladdin or The Lion King, you were wrong!)

But over the last few years they really went downhill. Not too many Disney movies worth mentioning from the last few years. But at the weekend, the Mrs made me watch a new one - Moana.

I'm a 29 year old man, but i have no shame in admitting i thoroughly enjoyed this one. It has everything a classic Disney movie should have - Catchy songs, an original storyline, an annoying animal sidekick, and, of course, Dwayne Johnson. Even at my age, Disney films (old and new) are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. Is it just me, or does anyone else sit down to watch a good Disney film to help unwind, or am i opening myself up to a barrage of ridicule and piss-taking here? :blush:

1 minute ago, TiffToff88 said:

Everyone grew up watching Disney films. Everyone had their favourites (If your favourite wasn't either Aladdin or The Lion King, you were wrong!)

But over the last few years they really went downhill. Not too many Disney movies worth mentioning from the last few years. But at the weekend, the Mrs made me watch a new one - Moana.

I'm a 29 year old man, but i have no shame in admitting i thoroughly enjoyed this one. It has everything a classic Disney movie should have - Catchy songs, an original storyline, an annoying animal sidekick, and, of course, Dwayne Johnson. Even at my age, Disney films (old and new) are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. Is it just me, or does anyone else sit down to watch a good Disney film to help unwind, or am i opening myself up to a barrage of ridicule and piss-taking here? :blush:

I can quite easily sit down and watch a Disney film (apart from Frozen, absolute pile of tripe, the snowman is funny though lol)

I enjoyed Moana and i agree if Aladdin isn't one of your favourites then its time to get in the bin lol 

I actually prefer DreamWorks to Disney. Find DreamWorks films to be wittier. Turbo is brilliant lol 

4 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

wasn't hero 6 disney? Thats films awesome! 

It was Disney, i couldn't get on with it though. I didn't really see the point in it. Although i do own a Baymax cuddly toy, won from a claw machine at Alton Towers last year

• Like 1

My Younger sister had Ariel on repeat as a Kid and my little girl loves, Beauty and the Beast, have to admit I don't mind them, but I guess part of it is getting to sit down and watch a film with her, she loves all the classic princess films, and all the newer Tinkerbell one's as well, to be fair they aren't that bad, well some of them.

But I prefer all the Disney/Pixar stuff, Monsters Inc, Cars, Planes etc, don't some of the writing can be very clever as well, make the kids laugh at the image, but fit an adult stye joke into the narrative.

We also went to see the live action version of Beauty and the Beast and again it wasn't too bad, maybe I'm just a bit soft with my kids lol I still think there's a place for stuff like that even as an adult, I guess it's light hearted and gives a sense of release, you don't have to concentrate to hard to follow them, the Lego movie I just don't get, but I would like to see Lego Batman at some point, the Lego Star Wars stuff on TV seems bizarre at times, but again I guess your not meant to take it to serious and compare it to the films.

I can't wait to be able to afford to take my kids to Orlando, if that day ever comes, I guess I'm a bit of a kid at heart and having your own, certainly adds to it.

5 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Zootopia.

That is all.

Is that the same as zootropolis? as that's what it's called on Now TV anyway.

Watched it the other week with the kids, can't decide if it's a decent story line with shite writing, or it's just a big rubbish.

8 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

My Younger sister had Ariel on repeat as a Kid and my little girl loves, Beauty and the Beast, have to admit I don't mind them, but I guess part of it is getting to sit down and watch a film with her, she loves all the classic princess films, and all the newer Tinkerbell one's as well, to be fair they aren't that bad, well some of them.

But I prefer all the Disney/Pixar stuff, Monsters Inc, Cars, Planes etc, don't some of the writing can be very clever as well, make the kids laugh at the image, but fit an adult stye joke into the narrative.

We also went to see the live action version of Beauty and the Beast and again it wasn't too bad, maybe I'm just a bit soft with my kids lol I still think there's a place for stuff like that even as an adult, I guess it's light hearted and gives a sense of release, you don't have to concentrate to hard to follow them, the Lego movie I just don't get, but I would like to see Lego Batman at some point, the Lego Star Wars stuff on TV seems bizarre at times, but again I guess your not meant to take it to serious and compare it to the films.

I can't wait to be able to afford to take my kids to Orlando, if that day ever comes, I guess I'm a bit of a kid at heart and having your own, certainly adds to it.

Lego Batman is amazing. Loved every second of it

Nothing wrong with watching a Disney film, no matter how old you are. I'm 22 and me and my partner love watching them.

There's been plenty of good Disney Films over the past few years, however.

They all pretty much follow the same Disney blueprint, but they're enjoyable.

Notable ones being Big Hero 6, Zootropolis, Inside Out, Wreck It Ralph and however much it was repeated, Frozen was good.

I understand why people don't like them, pretty much all Disney films happen to follow the "you can't do that", then they go on to do that, storyline. But there are certainly worse films about.

Edited by Adster

19 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Finding Nemo :thumbup:

I've read some quite disturbing fan theories about Finding Nemo. One of the theories is that Marlin's whole family were killed in the attack, and that throughout the film, Marlin is travelling through the 5 stages of grief:

In Latin the word 'Nemo' translates as 'no one', meaning the loveable little clown fish that gets lost was never there in the first place, with the film's narrative forming the stages of grief.

Stage 1 - Denial

Marlin's overprotective nature about letting Nemo go to school is his way of refusing to accept that his family are all dead, and is a common first stage of grief: he blocks out everything going on in the world in order to help deal with the pain.

Stage 2 - Anger

Issuing blame is natural. "You think you can do these things but you just can't, Nemo!" bellows Marlin to his son. This is the anger stage, as the isolation and denial begin to fade and he's 'forced' to let his son attend school. He resents the person, in this case Nemo, for leaving him. Remember, it's Marlin's wife that suggests the name of Nemo before she's cruelly taken away.

Stage 3 - Bargaining

As he seeks to regain control of his life, Marlin embarks on a journey to rescue his kidnapped son, but is really about ridding himself of the vulnerability and helplessness he's suffering. Therefore concocting a story will aid him to go on not only a physical journey, but a psychological one, too.

Stage 4 - Depression 

A common trait associated with grieving, as Marlin finally comes to terms with his son's death (or lack of existence in the first place) when he sees Nemo floating upside down in the dentist's office after being shaken by Darla. "Nemo's gone. And I'm going home," he tells companion Dory before admitting defeat. 

Stage 5 - Acceptance

The final scene is particularly poignant as we see Marlin say goodbye to Nemo as he goes to school, which is a metaphor for him finally accepting reality and letting go. Him allowing his son to 'go to school' is his way of coming to terms and moving back into reality, thus completing the process.

To be fair though, this does actually sound very feasible. Disney often attempt to hide more adult themes into a lot of their childrens movies. 

Edited by TiffToff88

3 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Thats just what i needed on a Monday... A reality check with regards to how old i feel!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MPH said:

Thats just what i needed on a Monday... A reality check with regards to how old i feel!

Perhaps i should have started that first sentence like this:

Everyone grew up either watching Disney Movies or pushing a hoop around with a stick...

Lion King all the way as it was the first film my mum took me to.  I used to joke that I should have called social services on my mum for subjecting me to Mustafa's death on my very first cinema outing at 4 years old.  Aladdin is a strong contender though.

I enjoyed Big Hero 6 and Wreck it Ralph from recent years but I suspect part of the reason that people slate their recent films is because Disney really made their reputation on 2D animations dating back to 1940s which always have Disney distinctive look about them so when they changed to 3D animation, they just lose some of their 'Disney magic'  for me.