Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jon the Hat

Home Automation

On 24/04/2017 at 11:45, Jon the Hat said:

Has anyone got any home automation kit?  Any comments on which route is best? 

I have just bought a Ring Pro doorbell on the recommendation of a neighbour, and I want to get a couple of external smart CCTV cameras.  Also looking at Phillips Hue lighting for indoors.

I deal with smart connected homes for a living...  sadly enough I was on Jonathon Lampoms show talking about it a few months back :rolleyes:

ring is good... I went for skybell as I got one free...  very handy as a first line of security 

for lighting, I peronsally think automation is best managed at the switch - see Fibaro - allows you to keep your current fittings

Manage different scenarios using IFTTT - I.e. When you're away you can arm sensors and have pre-set lighting patterns etc.

comtrol by Echo is a nice upgrade and generally fun to use

for CCTV look at Arlo... Ring will cover the front of your house, but, a couple of other cameras will cover other areas

my favourite connected item is Sonos... I have it in four different rooms working with current hifi and works seamlessly 

its personal, but, I'm not keen on internal cameras unless privacy setting are correctly used... my kids have a right to be in there home without me snooping on them

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

I deal with smart connected homes for a living...  sadly enough I was on Jonathon Lampoms show talking about it a few months back :rolleyes:

ring is good... I went for skybell as I got one free...  very handy as a first line of security 

for lighting, I peronsally think automation is best managed at the switch - see Fibaro - allows you to keep your current fittings

Manage different scenarios using IFTTT - I.e. When you're away you can arm sensors and have pre-set lighting patterns etc.

comtrol by Echo is a nice upgrade and generally fun to use

for CCTV look at Arlo... Ring will cover the front of your house, but, a couple of other cameras will cover other areas

my favourite connected item is Sonos... I have it in four different rooms working with current hifi and works seamlessly 

its personal, but, I'm not keen on internal cameras unless privacy setting are correctly used... my kids have a right to be in there home without me snooping on them

Thanks.  Yes indeed the plan was to start with the first line then continue from there.  We have had a few dodgy people around the development - it seems new builds attract them, less familiarity means strangers are not spotted so much I guess.  We have a decent wall at the back, but a camera out there is a must, so will take a look at Arlo, thanks.  I saw some good reviews, and wireless is quite appealing!

Completely agree on internal cams, unless you are watching the dog or something while everyone is out, and everyone knows it is on I suppose.

On 4/24/2017 at 11:45, Jon the Hat said:

Has anyone got any home automation kit?  Any comments on which route is best? 

I have just bought a Ring Pro doorbell on the recommendation of a neighbour, and I want to get a couple of external smart CCTV cameras.  Also looking at Phillips Hue lighting for indoors.

Hi Jon,

Home automation is cool, however I would be cautious about some of these products. The security of them (even some of the expensive ones) can be shockingly bad. You only have to google search IOT hack to find numerous devices that are penetrable....One of the biggest bot networks is sitting on hacked IoT devices https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/10/hacked-cameras-dvrs-powered-todays-massive-internet-outage/

RIng doorbel is one of the good ones though, so not saying don't do it, but just be careful and do your research. Finally 100% steer clear of IoT white goods, because the likelihood a company will support a fridge for the 10 or so years you'll keep it is unlikely.

My missus keeps banging on about an Amazon Echo. Apparently beging able to say "Hi Alexa, please play some Phil Collins" is worth £150! 

So, for my benefit - what else (useful) can it do?

I suppose you have to subscribe to some music streaming service in order to have the music play?

Archived