Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

How much longer are we gonna persist with Drinkwater?

13 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Literally, what other options have we got? Mendy is never fit, King isn't good enough to hold down a first team place, James is on loan, Amartey..well we still don't know HIS best position (has he got one?)

It's pretty much Drinkwater or nothing. Again, this goes back to our terrible transfer business over the summer, where we signed Mendy, Musa and Slim in the same window.

:nigel:

We have to look at getting our PL status secured as fast as possible and then Shakespeare needs to experiment a bit. Either going for three at the back or having three central midfielders to free up Drinkwater a bit. I mentioned in another thread that Amartey should get a chance to develop as he showed improvement before Ndidi replaced him. Kapustka seems lightweight, but knows how to handle a ball. After all, we don't mind playing Shinji, so why not Little Cabbage?

1 hour ago, themightyfin said:

Clearly he's been struggling with an injury yet is prepared to put himself on the line every week and do a job for the cause because obviously the management think it's a better option that the alternatives we have.

He doesn't pick the team! He's asked to do a job and he does it. 

Maybe just maybe we should be praising this guy for his commitment not slate him when there have been other worse players on the pitch than him this season. 

He made himself unavailable for the last 3 England squads while he rested up.

And last night? I thought he was one of our best players on the pitch. 

We are definitely a worse team without him carrying an injury or not.

Get the problem resolved in the summer and I'm sure we will see the Drinky we know. Class player and we are lucky to have him. 

37 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Post of the week, if I could like this multiple times I would.

It's well documented he's carrying an injury and it's bad enough to pull out of England squads. He was one of our "big five" players in last season's title win and if he's injury free next season our central midfield will compete with anyone's next season.

Exactly this.

Gobsmacked at some of the criticism of him.. He's not been as effective in terms of dictating games on the ball but he's still putting in huge shifts in central midfield at less than 100% particularly off the ball.

Have said it a lot on here in recent weeks but he's upped his game off the ball this season as he had to when Kante left. He's covered the 3rd most ground in the champions league up until this point and had won the ball back more than ANYONE in the champions league in the middle third of the pitch. Two very good stats that back up the fact that his role has changed this year and he's taken on more responsibility off the ball.

Him and Kante had different roles last year clearly with Drinks setting the tempo on the ball and Kante winning it back. This year Ndidi and Drinks are both performing more all round roles and are both expected to be involved defensively.

53 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Literally, what other options have we got? Mendy is never fit, King isn't good enough to hold down a first team place, James is on loan, Amartey..well we still don't know HIS best position (has he got one?)

It's pretty much Drinkwater or nothing. Again, this goes back to our terrible transfer business over the summer, where we signed Mendy, Musa and Slim in the same window.

:nigel:

Agree with this.

It's actually quite a sad indictment on the other CMs in the squad that a terribly out of form and half fit DD is still preferred above them. 

This is a big summer for the club in terms of recruitment. 

He must be carrying an injury.  We all know of his capabilities, like Mahrez. They are out of form, but the talent is still there. With a proper pre-season behind them, i'm expecting Drinkwater & Mahrez to be back to their best. 

Drinkwater will return to form next season, so Matty James should be good enough back up for him. We need a central midfielder to compete with N'didi.

To be quite honest I can't believe people are saying we should replace Drinkwater and Matty James. These two have been through it all with us, they are part of our essence and our team spirit. If we start to rip away our team spirit by replacing key players, we will just become another mediocre mid table side, or worse.

Team spirit can't be bought and that's what sets us apart from the other teams in the league.

Did laugh yesterday when the commentary of the stream i was watching on about DD "he wouldn't look out of place in a bigger team" and right on cue Coquelin goes for a cross field ball and over powers it straight for a GK, amount of times we've seen that over the years with DD :D 

Ndidi gets lauded but has been guilty of switching off at times and cost us against Palace. Drinky does a lot of the scrappy jobs too.

Drinky and Ndidi actually haven't played that many games together to be fair too and are probably still getting used to each other. I think they'll still be our central mid pairing next season.

Surprised by some comments on here.

Drinkwater has been doubted before (season before last) by a lot of Leicester fans, then proven what a good player he is. Short memories it seems.

My take on it is, he is carrying an injury and hasnt been as bad as some make out. Shows how poor a decision we made in the summer with Mendy, and how ridiculous it was to let James go to Barnsley (player of the month two months in a row). We are now having to play a half fit midfielder who is clearly lacking in confidence.

He will be back.

4 hours ago, hornyhollthefox123 said:

Exactly this.

Gobsmacked at some of the criticism of him.. He's not been as effective in terms of dictating games on the ball but he's still putting in huge shifts in central midfield at less than 100% particularly off the ball.

Have said it a lot on here in recent weeks but he's upped his game off the ball this season as he had to when Kante left. He's covered the 3rd most ground in the champions league up until this point and had won the ball back more than ANYONE in the champions league in the middle third of the pitch. Two very good stats that back up the fact that his role has changed this year and he's taken on more responsibility off the ball.

Him and Kante had different roles last year clearly with Drinks setting the tempo on the ball and Kante winning it back. This year Ndidi and Drinks are both performing more all round roles and are both expected to be involved defensively.

If he didn't give the ball away so cheaply, he would t have to do all that running in midfield to get it back!

he has been very one dimensional this season

I'm not forgetting drinkwaters immense contribution throughout his Leicester career and he remains a key player in my eyes.

The lack of quality strength in depth is what is forcing us to persist with a player bang out of form and possibly carrying an injury.

lol. Is it bash Drinkwater week? After every poor performance the fans find a way to slam another player.

Drinkwater always had his limitations but most of his work goes unnoticed (as is usually the case the CMs). Ask yourself how many central midfielders in the entire EPL are willing to spend 90 minutes defending at the edge of their own box and being forced to make timely clearances all day. The answer is very few. Even good ones like Ander Herrera and Jordan Henderson would struggle with being tasked with defending crosses and clearing loose balls in the 6 yard box. It's not an easy thing to do for someone who isn't a defender. I'm not even factoring in Drinkwater's distance covered, which comes into play when Leicester inevitably turns the ball over and Drinkwater is tasked with breaking a counter attack.

There are very few midfielders worldwide willing to put aside their attacking prowess in order to defend and play hoof ball with Vardy. If you want Drinkwater to do better, find tactics that will actually suit him. Are we going to ignore how Leicester approached the Arsenal match with negative tactics? The best Leicester could've hoped for last night was a scoreless draw. To expect anything out of the midfield or attack when there were 10 man behind the ball is a bit silly. Let's actually see Drinkwater as a deep playmaker before we make any judgements. 

Honestly can't believe this thread ...   The guy is a fookin star ...   Hardly had a break and always gives his all.   Finally got the recognition he deserved with his England call up last year and if he's that sh1te why isn't he dropped. ???  

I love ya DD !!

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Honestly can't believe this thread ...   The guy is a fookin star ...   Hardly had a break and always gives his all.   Finally got the recognition he deserved with his England call up last year and if he's that sh1te why isn't he dropped. ???  

I love ya DD !!

You kinda think that foxes talk loses some credibility when there is a thread set up to bash a player like Drinkwater. I guess if it can happen to him, it can happen to anyone. The problem, of course, is that the club didn't sign anyone to compliment him until we got Ndidi..and he won't be fantastic any game. I so hope that what many on here are wanting (Drinkwater to be dropped) don't happen for the next game. God knows how we'd look in the middle.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

You kinda think that foxes talk loses some credibility when there is a thread set up to bash a player like Drinkwater. I guess if it can happen to him, it can happen to anyone. The problem, of course, is that the club didn't sign anyone to compliment him until we got Ndidi..and he won't be fantastic any game. I so hope that what many on here are wanting (Drinkwater to be dropped) don't happen for the next game. God knows how we'd look in the middle.

What p1sses me off most Col is that he was part of, Imo, THE best midfield pairing in the prem last season ...   Yes 50 bleeding per cent of it !! ...   and one leaves and it's all 'respect respect' and he stays and gets this sh1te ....   I despair. 

What sort of guys are we?   WE know danny drinkwater can be class.  Maybe he has a knock or maybe his form has dipped.  Part of the great feeling last year was that many of the team were guys who we had stuck with through think and thin.  Clearly there must be alternatives in every position - but why wasn't this thread called "drinkwater is struggling - it is time to find more help until he can get back to his best?".  I hope Mrs Foxinsocks won't bin me just coz fo a string of poor performances.... Part of the pleasure of running like  a tuned engine is know how hard we struggled to get there... it is not about sticking with DD... we will stick with him... if right now we have the chance to bring in someone with better form so be it... but I will still look forwared to him getting back on track.

I was more worried about him in Ranieri's last weeks, the worrying thing is that we are so short of a viable alternative we are fielding someone who we know isn't quite right at the moment. This is the Premier League, you have a budget to create a squad, OK Mendy needs Mending but it's sad to see Drinky's reputation dip amongst neutrals and even City fans during this time. When he's at it the passes are in a forward direction, he's a dynamo, a heartbeat, a fulcrum, he encourages one touch passing in tight areas, he bosses it etc. At the moment he seems to be trying to just put out fires and do what needs doing to get through a game. A confident and fit Drinky stands out and at the moment he isn't standing out, it's just hard to take that a 40% effective Drinky is a more appealing option than the alternative - Amartey or Kingy. 

It reminds me of a classic O'Neill quote - Reporter "So I gather Heskey was only around 50% fit for todays game but he got through it and played well", O'Neill - "No, no, even less than 50% but a dead Emile Heskey would still be a better option than the alternative" - Graham Fenton was available and on the bench!

1 minute ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

To be fair i thought he was carrying us early months of the season when we were doggo and he was doing the work of 2. He got injured Nov time and has been below form since his return. He seems a bit demoralised, perhaps the efforts of the last two years caught up with him?

Yes maybe ...    So let's give him a rest and replace him with ...     Mendy ??   Let's face it there isn't anyone ...    Not his fault. 

7 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

What p1sses me off most Col is that he was part of, Imo, THE best midfield pairing in the prem last season ...   Yes 50 bleeding per cent of it !! ...   and one leaves and it's all 'respect respect' and he stays and gets this sh1te ....   I despair. 

11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Thats what makes it hard...We have nobody to cover him, Mendy injured..Ndidi nor Amartey dont put in that last mile like DD.

We put a...getting fit out to loan for the Whole season

King , should be more forward, not in this deep tip tap role.

Shakespeare Seems actually scared, to give him a rest and try something different..

3 in midfield...King/Kapu, Okazaki/Amarteyy , Ndidi, or any other permatations.

One can crow that others arent up to it, but a well off form knackered DD, could be the descision that takes us nearer Relegation woes...

I have no answers, its not my call, its also a tough call...but I would try a change with a different

approach.Even if one keeps DD, then still put in a 3 player midfield.

Archived