Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shen

Jamie Vardy

I noticed that for some reason, we do not have a 'general' thread for Vardy, or at least there hasn't been any posts in it for over 6 months.

Threads on players typically pop up on FT in the heat of the moment and usually when we've got something negative to say about them.

I just wanted to start this thread as I really admire what Vardy has achieved throughout his career and with us especially.

He's now into his into his thirties and he's still lightning quick and better than ever on the ball.

I remember watching the videos of a lower league player able to run in behind and finish 1-on-1's and it's comforting and satisfying to see him do it at elite level too.

Many questioned his dedication and worried that his pay rise would affect performances. Personally, I think his effort levels have been consistently high this season, even when we were playing terribly, and that it was just a matter of his teammates giving him some service. His chance conversion rate is, frankly, phenomenal for a player who never struck me as technically gifted.

Over the past month he has been lethal and everything he does is effective. Even when he hasn't touched the ball for an hour he will be sharp and alert.

Our club took a gamble on him and it's possibly the best gamble it has ever taken. I hope that we get to enjoy his endless harrassing and sharp actions for a couple more years yet.

I always admire players who improve themselves. See Marc Albrighton, Danny Simpson and Jamie Vardy. The improvement in his positioning, touch, finishing and hold-up play in his time here is staggering.

He's such a conundrum - as a person I find him both immensely dislikeable but also inspiring.

I'd never want to meet him but at the same time so much respect for his dedication, hard work, bravery and commitment.

He puts many of the prima donnas who have come up through academies to shame with his desire to be the best he can be (I'm thinking Sterling, Luke Shaw, Ravel Morrison etc).

Will add that I agree that his effort levels have been consistently high, even though people on here said he was being lazy I never saw it

4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Leicester City personified. Unfashionable, a bit rough round the edges, plucked from obscurity. Success built via hard work rather than an abundance of natural talent, and ultimately, a winner.  

Spot on

Hugely underrated. I get the feeling that whilst many respect him for his run last season, pretty much everyone sees him as a one-off and don't really fear him as an opposition. Obviously he's not scored enough this season but that is almost entirely down to how we've played as a team as opposed to him. 

He'd improve any squad in the Premier League and every manager would take him in a heart beat. 

1 hour ago, Bryn said:

I always admire players who improve themselves. See Marc Albrighton, Danny Simpson and Jamie Vardy. The improvement in his positioning, touch, finishing and hold-up play in his time here is staggering.

The book "peak" has many examples of how diliberate stretching practice to develop the mind and skills of an expert can enable folk to improve.  There's abmn example of a 30 year old novice golfer who acheived a handicap of 2 in just two years.

Vardy got his chance with us and he worked hard to learn to deal with huge centre backs etc.

I wish slimani would knuckle down with a 1 to 1 mentor to develop his game for the pl

I rate him hugely. He's the player I got to sign my 15/16 shirt before I had it framed. For me he epitomises the Leicester City of the last few years.

Yes he is a bit rough round the edges, but then after the upbringing/life he's led up until very recently, what do people expect. Personally I admire the guy, he never gives in, always wants to improve, and has fought his way to the very top of world football from the bottom when most had dismissed him, which is something that very few others, if any, have managed to achieve.

I do fear a little that once he loses his pace, he may not be the feared striker he is/should be at the moment, but in 50 years time I honestly believe when people think of this team it will be Jamie Vardy  they think of first. 

He's a bit unsavoury, sometimes a **** but he's our pantomime villain the ****ing bastard and I love him for it. Things like winding up the home/away fans like at Swansea really appeal to me because he's the ultimate piss boiler and they're sorely lacking in the modern game. Even the sight of him gets prissy fans of shite underachievers like Tottenham wound up, its great. 

Two things about Vardy.

1. He has much more footballing intelligence than he gets credit for. He's more than just a speed merchant.

2. It's a myth that he can only score counter attacking goals. The goals against Stoke, Sunderland, Sevilla, Atletico were scored with technique and intelligence.

I read his book whilst away over Easter. Have to say I have a lot of respect for him and his journey and that has only increased. He has earnt everything he has achieved through hard work, grit and determination and acknowledges the impact of his previous managers and teammates, especially for his run last season. I still think even at 30 he can go further in the game but I hope for one he stays with us and breaks some more club goalscoring records.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Leicester City personified. Unfashionable, a bit rough round the edges, plucked from obscurity. Success built via hard work rather than an abundance of natural talent, and ultimately, a winner.  

Couldn't agree more with this, we'll never be accepted as a top flight (10th or better) team, hopefully with a bit of a summer overhaul we can stay consistent and show everyone what we're about.

All opposition fans hate him but they all wish they could have someone like Vardy in their team!. it took him time but he has been magnificent the last few years and his form has earned him call ups for England where he has scored goals. some players hit their form later in life and Vardy is certainly one of those!. he has developed so much more than just pace over the years and has shown his desire and his football intelligence in games. the Eleven Premier League consecutively scored in will be a hard record for anyone to break and was a magnificent achievement. 

39 minutes ago, Wookie said:

He's a bit unsavoury, sometimes a **** but he's our pantomime villain the ****ing bastard and I love him for it. Things like winding up the home/away fans like at Swansea really appeal to me because he's the ultimate piss boiler and they're sorely lacking in the modern game. Even the sight of him gets prissy fans of shite underachievers like Tottenham wound up, its great. 

Not attacking you or your post...but putting down a different..why???

I for one (yes I am talking about other teams expats) and some london and scouser friends back in the UK. I know many opposing fans who like Vardy, actually stating hes not worse than most.Plus hes  "done it". Just Listen to England fans when he comes on, they love him.

Hes no shrinking violet, yes hes up for a fight,

he loves getting on the nerves of oppos back line.

Hes had no more reds or yellows than others, and he stands his ground. Pundits also love him.He gives us another and different hard honest side of the game.Hes a character but far from nasty .Hes not only about speed, he can dribble, take defenders on, and has some smart

Flicks in his locker......A very clever mongrel, who brings a smile, and the odd snarl..:scarf:

2 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

He's such a conundrum - as a person I find him both immensely dislikeable but also inspiring.

I'd never want to meet him but at the same time so much respect for his dedication, hard work, bravery and commitment.

He puts many of the prima donnas who have come up through academies to shame with his desire to be the best he can be (I'm thinking Sterling, Luke Shaw, Ravel Morrison etc).

Will add that I agree that his effort levels have been consistently high, even though people on here said he was being lazy I never saw it

S N O B!!!    Fleetwood/New Parks...!!!  :P

1 hour ago, foxinsocks said:

The book "peak" has many examples of how diliberate stretching practice to develop the mind and skills of an expert can enable folk to improve.  There's abmn example of a 30 year old novice golfer who acheived a handicap of 2 in just two years.

Vardy got his chance with us and he worked hard to learn to deal with huge centre backs etc.

I wish slimani would knuckle down with a 1 to 1 mentor to develop his game for the pl

Slimani doesn't need a mentor. I think if he stays here, and with pre-season he will be better next season, no doubt.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Two things about Vardy.

1. He has much more footballing intelligence than he gets credit for. He's more than just a speed merchant.

2. It's a myth that he can only score counter attacking goals. The goals against Stoke, Sunderland, Sevilla, Atletico were scored with technique and intelligence.

Everyone seems to think that because Vardy is a bit of a chav that he isn't intelligent. I've always found him to be intelligent and relatively articulate in interviews and you only need keep a close eye on his movement to see his intelligence on a football pitch.

20 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Everyone seems to think that because Vardy is a bit of a chav that he isn't intelligent. I've always found him to be intelligent and relatively articulate in interviews and you only need keep a close eye on his movement to see his intelligence on a football pitch.

Different kinds of intelligence. There are innumerable examples of footballers who are thick as pig excrement, but are geniuses on a football pitch.

7 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

If you're not a Vardy fan, are you even a Leicester City fan?

Well, when the going got rough this season (and when Vardy struggled in the Championship) you could almost hear the sharpening of knives.

But then, I don't want this thread to turn into what does and what doesn't constitute a Leicester fan.

I've heard mixed things about him off the pitch...chav? Perhaps. 'Rough around the edges' doesn't necessarily mean that he's a bad fellow, or unpleasant. I've known plenty of folks (grew up in a rural, economically blighted area) who were what you might call 'gruff' but not blackhearted or mean spirited.

Archived