Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beliall

Duck Pond Help

so my daughter wants me to take her to see the ducks tomorrow, Is there anyone who has done this before?  Is it ok to take pictures of the ducks, what bread to they like? What are the best ducks to see and when are they about? many thanks

5 minutes ago, Beliall said:

so my daughter wants me to take her to see the ducks tomorrow, Is there anyone who has done this before?  Is it ok to take pictures of the ducks, what bread to they like? What are the best ducks to see and when are they about? many thanks

What is your budget for bread? You can spend a lot but ducks don't mind the mouldy stuff so don't waste money on fancy bread.

And be careful that your daughter doesn't fall in the pond. Might be worth taking a rope just in case.

Photos are ok but don't post them on any duck social media sites since the birds haven't given you permission.

And be careful of swans. They can eat children.

4 minutes ago, Darkon84 said:

Yep, you shouldn't feed them bread. Grain, oats and peas are much better and helps them get the nutrients they need, which bread doesn't contain.

Yep, this. Last time I went abbey park they had a dispenser machine in the cafe that sold approved feed. 50p for a handful I think but this was well over 10 years ago lol

12 minutes ago, Hollism said:

Yep, this. Last time I went abbey park they had a dispenser machine in the cafe that sold approved feed. 50p for a handful I think but this was well over 10 years ago lol

Cafe long gone ...   :(    Always needed a sausage roll to get me round the park ...

30 minutes ago, boots60 said:

This must be a fowl wind up. But if it's not then Fleckney's your place. Eider also have a look on the Web. 

16 minutes ago, pds said:

Wistow Pond, followed by a trip to the café.

It's a long drive from Newhaven. :)

However, Beliall, you are a short drive from the Seven Sisters Country Park, which has a river (Cuckmere) passing through that has a wide variety of water fowl, including some magnificent swans.

30 minutes ago, Beliall said:

A few tips from somebody who is an experienced pond-goer:

• Don't eat the bread you take for them in the car, the ducks won't thank you, neither will your daughter and it will ruin your appetite
  • The ducks aren't very good at staying still for photos so be snappy when taking photoing them
  • If you have a dog, the geese (big and grey) and also swans (even bigger and white) don't always take kindly to it. Don't start a bloodbath
  • Don't bother taking your swimming shorts, there's no filter in the pond, gets pretty dirty. Your Mrs won't thank you for it

Good luck, my friend. You'll need it

33 minutes ago, Beliall said:

Just take a shotgun, a sharp knife, a portable barbecue and a packet of orange sauce mix. Your daughter will love it.

Assuming this is actually a real

question?! Coombe Abbey is my kids favourite place to feed the ducks and is a lovely country park. It's good for bikes and scooters etc too and has a nice playground. It might be too far away for you mind, I live in south Leics so not that far from me. 

Archived