Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Tom Lawrence

16 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

If gray can't even get In our side with European football than how is Lawrence?

The last two seasons have seen Gray be very unlucky. Last season you couldn't change anything and this season we have rarely had an opportunity to experiment due to the mess Ranieri got us in.

They both deserve a chance.

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

The last two seasons have seen Gray be very unlucky. Last season you couldn't change anything and this season we have rarely had an opportunity to experiment due to the mess Ranieri got us in.

They both deserve a chance.

Gray was good against Stoke but then awful against Sunderland and Albrighton came on and changed the game. Don't think he's been that unlucky. 

Looks quite promising as a threat from central midfield or the hole where Shinji plays. Seemed quite individual in outlook simply judging by those goals but if he can make good choices involving others as well,  there's a talent there for sure.

I can't help comparing him with Drinkwater and the times Lawrence gets his long and medium range shots on target. I keep waiting for Drinky to do the same but almost always in frustration. Once in a while he surprises me and that very fact is a bit of a condemnation in itself. Yet we need goals from more places. What we don't need is to surrender any of our other strengths in gaining them.      . 

1 minute ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Gray was good against Stoke but then awful against Sunderland and Albrighton came on and changed the game. Don't think he's been that unlucky. 

He has had chances but Albrighton was utter turd for 2/3 of the season and then world class for the final 1/3. 

Im saying in any other season midway through managers would change it up a bit but because of how terrible we were from October to Feb Ranieri flapped and it didn't allow anyone a chance to excell.

If we have boring mid table season next year we could afford to give Gray more of a shot.

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

He has had chances but Albrighton was utter turd for 2/3 of the season and then world class for the final 1/3. 

Im saying in any other season midway through managers would change it up a bit but because of how terrible we were from October to Feb Ranieri flapped and it didn't allow anyone a chance to excell.

If we have boring mid table season next year we could afford to give Gray more of a shot.

The Albrighton Mahrez gray behind Slimani worked well vs West Ham tbf 

6 minutes ago, Thracian said:

Looks quite promising as a threat from central midfield or the hole where Shinki plays. Seemed quite individual in outlook simply judging by those goals but if he can make good choices involving others as well,  there's a talent there for sure.

I can't help comparing him with Drinkwater and the times Lawrence gets his long and medium range shots on target. I keep waiting for Drinky to do the same but almost always in frustration. Once in a while he surprises me and that very fact is a bit of a condemnation in itself. Yet we need goals from more places. What we don't need is to surrender any of our other strengths in gaining them.      . 

It's taken me ages to stop calling him Shinki by mistake - I think it'll be back on now 

35 minutes ago, MPH said:

And this is one of the reasons i dont think Harvey is going to be in the first team squad regularly next year - Lawrence is doing the buisness and doing it well in the division above him...

In fact, why dont we say to Ipswich, you cant have Lawrence but we'll let you have harvey for a season....

That's exactly what I'd do TBH.

Mahrez is probably gone. Step up Gray in to his starting berth, have Lawrence back in as Gray's back up spot and send Barnes to Ipswich.

Great message to all three of them that if you put a shift in you'll get rewarded and Ipswich are a solid, tidy championship club.

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Mahrez is probably gone. Step up Gray is to his starting birth, have Lawrence back in Gray's back up spot and send Barnes to Ipswich.

Great message to all three of them that if you put a shift in you'll get rewarded and Ipswich are a solid, tidy championship club.

Gray hasn't shown anything that he's good enough to step into Riyadh shoes..

15 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Mahrez is probably gone. Step up Gray in to his starting berth, have Lawrence back in as Gray's back up spot and send Barnes to Ipswich.

It appears that they have looked after Lawrence very well....

Bring him home with James, both have had a great time in the Championship

Time to see if they can push for a squad place next season....... No doubt we've had people watching their progress

Hopefully  :thumbup:

Sorry, forgot about Barnes as well.

3 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Could he play on the left or right of a 3? As in a central midfield three? He played CM against Newcastle in the cup I think. 

According to Whoscored:

12 games at CAM/ST

16 games at LW

3 games at RW

35 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

I just watched the video and he does look better than gray tbf , apologies 

Tbf Gray is up against Premier League defenders. Lawrence is up against some dross. Not taking anything away from Lawrence but some of the defending & goal keeping in the Championship is shocking. Gray would run riot there if we sent him on loan back to Birmingham.

21 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

This season? Of course he bloody has, he's been far better with much less game time. I could step into Mahrez's shoes at the moment FFS.

With his and Drinkwater's form, and with Mendy, King and Amartey failing to make an impact also, Lawrence has to be in with a serious shout of starting games next season. He has to prove himself at this level of course, but as I say time and time again, you can't prove yourself if you're not given a chance. Ditto James, who I've always thought capable of being a good player in the Premier League and is better, if fit, than the 3 aforementioned fringe players.

We have got to get these decisions right in the summer if we want to move forward as a club. Time to be ruthless with those who have failed, drop those out of form and give potential a chance to flourish. Gray must be given a run of games and Lawrence deserves an opportunity to make a name for himself.

I honestly haven't seen Lawrence play this season, Is he any better then Knockaert? 

Wide discussion on here says Knockaert wouldn't be good enough for us now despite him being championship player of the year this season

1 minute ago, jammie82uk said:

I honestly haven't seen Lawrence play this season, Is he any better then Knockaert? 

Wide discussion on here says Knockaert wouldn't be good enough for us now despite him being championship player of the year this season

Knoachart has had a far superior season but for a better side 

50 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

From what I've seen so far I'm quite surprised by the lobby of promotion concerning Gray.  

To be fair, he's never had an extended run in the team for all his promise and there may be reasons for that.

I keep trying to compare him with some of the best wingers we've had at Leicester - plus a few others - and wondering if he's likely to approach their level.

Leicester people like Derek Hogg, Mike Stringfellow, Lenny Glover and Howard Riley. Or guys in other teams like George Best, Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs, Peter Thompson, Ian Callaghan, Cliff jones of Spurs and so on.

And so far, nothing I've seen suggests he'll ever get close.

It's not specifically about speed or skill. It's about heart, mind and effect.

The guys I've mentioned had those three qualities in abundance - on the top of speed and certain, though varying, skills

And, as a result they were so consistently effective along with many others I could mention .

Gray, apart from the odd brilliant goal or eyecatching cross, is too often something of an anti-climax.

I almost always see him as a 25-30 minutes player. A guy who poses a threat for a short time, has a couple of shots, decent two or three runs, but then becomes nebulous and largely forgettable.

The thing about the players I've mentioned is that there was always something of a buzz when they got the ball. Good day or bad day they always tried to pose a threat, time and again and no matter how many times they were foiled.

Best could tackle back and mix it with anyone but he nevr backed off from taking people on, probing defences with different crosses or shooting whenever and from wherever he wanted - left foot or right foot or  even in the box with a brave header. Ronaldo was the same and so too the others with their different styles.

Whether Gray runs out of steam or gradually loses heart or conviction I don't know but he's not shown himself to be the sort I'd ever be afraid of as a defender like the others I've referred to who would be a nightmare because, no matter how hard you worked to contain them, they'd still be attacking you and worrying you into making a mistake.

If I were coaching Gray I'd show him some films of those wingers as an example of what's required and I'd show him again on occasions just to remind him. Because a few cameos in 25 minutes isn't enough. Every winger - and Mahrez as much as anyone -  gets made a mug of but that's not the point. It's what they make happen that counts and how often they pose a threat to defences.  And, frustrating though he is, Mahrez makes something happen in most matches.

With Lawrence, he doesn't look especially risky, posing most of his problems from the front third. And when he has a shot, which seems to be fairly frequently, he gets a good proportion of his worthwhile efforts on target which is in stark contrast to Drinky who seems to hit high or wide but rarely on target.                            .  

24 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Depends how much Knockaert's decision-making's improved. And whether he's more careful about where he tries to cause his damage. Knockaert was a brilliant individual but let himself down by running into blind alleys, by making it impossible for his own team-mates to compliment what he did and by losing  the ball in daft places.

That might not matter so much in The Championship but it can sure get punished in The Premier League and is one of Mahrez's most frustrating qualities.

Great wingers reduce the risks depending on their strengths and the cover they get. For instance Ronaldo could run at people from deep because of his speed whereas that would be far more risky for Mahrez because if he were beaten in the deep he hasn't got either the pace, strength or combative ability to recover and so it would be down to whoever was backing him up. Ronaldo could simply drop a shoulder, put the ball into space behind a defender and still get there without risking any great consequence from losing his race.     

Knockaert is much more a Mahrez type and his losing the ball in central areas would always be a risk. Another factor is that Mahrez/Knockaert tend to attack full-backs on the inside (being dribbles) whereas the safest wingers - particularly the ones who have pace - often attack on the much safer outside when a tackle often ends up with the ball going out of play rather than a defender taking possession.     

Archived