Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Gylfi Sigurdsson

8 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I like Shinji and the ground he covers but what exactly is the "Okazaki role". None of the other good teams have a role where the number 10 just pushes on every opposition player.

Yeah and nobody else won the league last year.

Nobody else plays tiki taka but Barcelona, it still helped them dominate European football through nearly all of Xavi/Iniesta's prime.

Who cares what everyone else does?

The "Shinji role" is vital to how we play.

We can change the way we play, sure. We can keep the ball more, sure. But we probably need more actual ball playing midfielders for that. Someone like Gylfi Sigurdsson, for example.

Yes, we need a CAM, and yes Siggy is superb at what he does, but is he really the right type of player for us?

He isn't exactly dynamic, fast-paced, or hard working. His quality, especially on dead balls, is unquestionable though. Just think we could find someone more suited to our style. We lose a huge amount of work and running by switching out Okazaki (who generally plays in that role for us now) and replacing him with Siggy. But then he brings other qualities that we lack. 

Other PL experienced CAMs that may be available include Barkley and Rooney... Not really sold on either. 

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah and nobody else won the league last year.

Nobody else plays tiki taka but Barcelona, it still helped them dominate European football through nearly all of Xavi/Iniesta's prime.

Who cares what everyone else does?

The "Shinji role" is vital to how we play.

We can change the way we play, sure. We can keep the ball more, sure. But we probably need more actual ball playing midfielders for that. Someone like Gylfi Sigurdsson, for example.

Oh I agree... It is vital to how we play and I've said many times before on here how better we are with Okazaki. I just don't know when we get to a point where we want to get rid and bring in a new player and that was my point. I've never seen Sigurdsson as this sort of player but as people have stated prior he obviously does a lot of running. But even with that running I've never seen anything like what Okazaki/Vardy do in this Country before. Those two are superb.

12 minutes ago, Lesteban said:

Yes, we need a CAM, and yes Siggy is superb at what he does, but is he really the right type of player for us?

He isn't exactly dynamic, fast-paced, or hard working. His quality, especially on dead balls, is unquestionable though. Just think we could find someone more suited to our style. We lose a huge amount of work and running by switching out Okazaki (who generally plays in that role for us now) and replacing him with Siggy. But then he brings other qualities that we lack. 

Other PL experienced CAMs that may be available include Barkley and Rooney... Not really sold on either. 

How can you say he's not hard working? He covered every blade of grass against Everton and Manchester United. This 'he dosent work hard' is such a myth. 

For anyone not sure about Sigurdsson's work rate, just check out footage of how he performed in Iceland's 4-4-2 in the summer. Absolutely outstanding in the deeper midfield role and put some real shifts in. Imo would be a brilliant signing.

28 minutes ago, Lesteban said:

Not hard working....... Have you read this thread?

4 minutes ago, les-tah said:

When did Barkley become so good? If he leaves everton what next he wont command a place in the top 6? Everton is about his level at the moment.

Everton are 7th... really not that big a difference...

2 hours ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Should have signed Gylfi, Micheal Keane and Idrissa Gana Gueye last summer:(

This 1000%

we would have got them then

we won't now

gylfi going to Everton according to club sources (could be a tool to get Barclay to stay but I think they are happy for him to leave and to take the profit) 

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

This 1000%

we would have got them then

we won't now

gylfi going to Everton according to club sources (could be a tool to get Barclay to stay but I think they are happy for him to leave and to take the profit) 

I'm not so sure Barkley goes, one year left on his contract and he might fancy seeing it out and go on a Bosman next season.

Like Keane the selling price is about £25m and both have a year left. If I was them I'd be seriously looking at seeing my contract out and taking a big signing on fee next year. 

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

I'm not so sure Barkley goes, one year left on his contract and he might fancy seeing it out and go on a Bosman next season.

Like Keane the selling price is about £25m and both have a year left. If I was them I'd be seriously looking at seeing my contract out and taking a big signing on fee next year. 

He won't play. Koeman will rot him in the reserves. Barkley taking the piss if he dosent sign and stays. 

4 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

He won't play. Koeman will rot him in the reserves. Barkley taking the piss if he dosent sign and stays. 

Maybe you're right but Everton have a Europa League campaign and they'd be cutting off their nose to spite their face by not playing him.

After seeing how we did against our five European opponents I would expect English teams to go deep in the Europa League and Everton could play 60-70 games next season. 

It would be interesting how they reacted to Barkley if he didn't sign a contract, I've read they've only offered him £70k a week which doesn't put a lot of value on him.

Archived