Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LiberalFox

BBC Reporting "Cyber Attack" on NHS IT Systems

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

I take it it's £300 X every computer infected so would run into the millions? Or is it £300 to get rid of it all? 

They've mentioned their ICT experts are working around the clock to fix it, would it be not best to pay the ransom and then plan on making it safe for the future? 

That assumes paying the ransom will actually get your files back - the sort of people behind these sorts of attacks are hardly honourable.

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

Russia really are taking the piss these days aren't they?

I know that the perpetrators aren't known but they'll be Russian won't they? You just know it. The level of provocation from that country is really quite worrying.

Russia has been hit pretty badly by this current wave as well... Might be trendy to blame them at the moment, but they are actually victims this time.

25 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Which begs the question What are they going to do to stop it happening again? and if there's an answer to that, why wasn't that solution implemented in the first place?

What solution are you referring to? How can an IT department stop people receiving these emails firstly and vet these in advance to stop people who are a bit 'clicky-clicky' regardless of being educated not to when something looks potentially legit, and they don't take a cautious approach?

the same applies to all the large non-NHS organisations that have been impacted by this across 72 countries. What solution have you got in mind?

2 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

What solution are you referring to? How can an IT department stop people receiving these emails firstly and vet these in advance to stop people who are a bit 'clicky-clicky' regardless of being educated not to when something looks potentially legit, and they don't take a cautious approach?

the same applies to all the large non-NHS organisations that have been impacted by this across 72 countries. What solution have you got in mind?

Give them all an ipad for emails.

17 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Lols. How is this a solution? Do iPads have no network connection or some anti-click anti-email opening capability? 

Dunno, but a virus that's opened on an email client on an ipad wont get passed through the the main network as it's isolated, the same as opening a virus on your phone, it doesn't get passed on to your laptop at home even though they're connected to the same lan. You don't work in the it department at the nhs by any chance do you.

12 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Dunno, but a virus that's opened on an email client on an ipad wont get passed through the the main network as it's isolated, the same as opening a virus on your phone, it doesn't get passed on to your laptop at home even though they're connected to the same lan. You don't work in the it department at the nhs by any chance do you.

Thankfully not. If your solution is to utilise an iPad solely for the purpose of emails, that's borderline ridiculous. How many GP/Trust/Community systems work on an iPad? Should we have PCs for everyday necessary and crucial work, and iPads in isolation for emails? Not only is this impractical, inefficient, and expensive, that's not even discussing the negatives of trying to use Office on a iPad and many of its deliberate limitations.

6 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Thankfully not. If your solution is to utilise an iPad solely for the purpose of emails, that's borderline ridiculous. How many GP/Trust/Community systems work on an iPad? Should we have PCs for everyday necessary and crucial work, and iPads in isolation for emails? Not only is this impractical, inefficient, and expensive, that's not even discussing the negatives of trying to use Office on a iPad and many of its deliberate limitations.

Eventually all of them will.

http://www.securedgenetworks.com/blog/4-ways-Doctors-are-using-iPads-on-Hospital-Wireless-Networks

8 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

No. No they won't. Firstly that's an American blog and definitely does not reflect the usage in the NHS, and whilst some Consultants, Community Nurses use iPads in the UK, the bulk of their work is done on a PC, either on a laptop or base unit, simply as an iPad for the majority of time is not compatible or functional with IT systems due to its limitations.

26 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

No. No they won't. Firstly that's an American blog and definitely does not reflect the usage in the NHS, and whilst some Consultants, Community Nurses use iPads in the UK, the bulk of their work is done on a PC, either on a laptop or base unit, simply as an iPad for the majority of time is not compatible or functional with IT systems due to its limitations.

So i can open any 3d cad model, measure it from every degree of freedom possible, test it and qualify it on an ipad, but some old biddy working on a reception at the hospital can't open an email and save a patients details to a database for other people to view. Somethings not quite right somewhere.  

Sent from from my iPad via #talkshit

6 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Its brilliant when people with no technical basis in a subject pipe up with wild solutions to things!

5 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Mate your on a football forum that's the whole point

I'm not technical really, and I did ask what his solution might be, I wasn't shooting him down, just advising why that solution isn't a practical one.

Sure, it's a football forum, and not an IT forum, but given the subject, it's worth discussing the subject.

Those who work in the NHS and use various systems will know why there's only a few people who use iPads on a day to day basis.

It's an education problem. The NHS is huge, with a lot of users. A great number of these people are really basic IT literate. That sounds worrying, but actually that is to be expected, I'd like to hope that they were stronger in their medical fields etc than being high-end computer users.

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

So i can open any 3d cad model, measure it from every degree of freedom possible, test it and qualify it on an ipad, but some old biddy working on a reception at the hospital can't open an email and save a patients details to a database for other people to view. Somethings not quite right somewhere.  

You have no concept of NHS systems I take it? They aren't all in-house systems, they aren't universal, there are a lot of different systems in use across lots of different types of providers, it isn't simple. Patient files aren't transferred or received via email. That would be stupid.

2 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

I'm not technical really, and I did ask what his solution might be, I wasn't shooting him down, just advising why that solution isn't a practical one.

Sure, it's a football forum, and not an IT forum, but given the subject, it's worth discussing the subject.

Those who work in the NHS and use various systems will know why there's only a few people who use iPads on a day to day basis.

It's an education problem. The NHS is huge, with a lot of users. A great number of these people are really basic IT literate. That sounds worrying, but actually that is to be expected, I'd like to hope that they were stronger in their medical fields etc than being high-end computer users.

You have no concept of NHS systems I take it? They aren't all in-house systems, they aren't universal, there are a lot of different systems in use across lots of different types of providers, it isn't simple. Patient files aren't transferred or received via email. That would be stupid.

I get the feeling that no ones got any concept of systems used in the NHS apart from maybe NASA 

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

I get the feeling that no ones got any concept of systems used in the NHS apart from maybe NASA 

Unless you work with these systems on a day to day basis, then it's easy to criticise or pass comment about what they should be doing or not doing for that matter, but my comments aren't an attempt to slight you, just give you a bit of insight.

6 hours ago, Webbo said:

Do terrorists normally comunicate via the the NHS computer system?

GCHQ and the NSA have been buying zero day exploits -vulnerabilities in Windows and Mobile OS's, which they pay the people who discover them to not disclose to Microsoft or the mobile manufacturers. They intentionally prevent security vulnerabilities in computer systems which we all use from being fixed because they want to use them for snooping or planting spyware on their targets, whilst everyone else in the world is left open to those vulnerabilities being discovered by cyber criminals and exploited.

8 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Unless you work with these systems on a day to day basis, then it's easy to criticise or pass comment about what they should be doing or not doing for that matter, but my comments aren't an attempt to slight you, just give you a bit of insight.

Okay, anyway it's 0-0

14 hours ago, ajthefox said:

It's hit thousands of companies across the globe but yeah, the NHS are just shit aren't they? :rolleyes:

lol Firstly, this thread is about the NHS. Secondly, I said "companies", so I wasn't even singling them out. Unbelievable reading comprehension.

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm using Ubuntu and that doesn't...:ph34r:

Windows has by far and away the largest market share, so most viruses are designed for them. Big difference between most not targeting you and actually being immune

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Windows has by far and away the largest market share, so most viruses are designed for them. Big difference between most not targeting you and actually being immune

I know. There was some facetiousness there which I hoped the emoji would show.

Just gonna drop that windows xp (well a version of it anyway) is ran on most cash machines... 

Thats still being supported until 2019, you'd be surprised how many legacy systems are ran in production environments just because the software isn't designed to run on modern operating systems. Which is fine so long as they get security updates.

19 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Just gonna drop that windows xp (well a version of it anyway) is ran on most cash machines... 

Thats still being supported until 2019, you'd be surprised how many legacy systems are ran in production environments just because the software isn't designed to run on modern operating systems. Which is fine so long as they get security updates.

that's nothing...

The world is in safe hands.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36385839

1 minute ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

That's certainly an extreme example lol

Suppose the plus side to that is that there can't be much data on those disks... 

As I think about it, those systems won't be networked but the guys popping those launch code disks would be. Lets's hope they keep their Windows updated.

Archived