Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Non League Football 2017-18

2 hours ago, baker11 said:

Sheffield FC 3 - Frickley Athletic 4. Filthy night in Dronfield but a good game, not got a clue how Ritchie Humphreys was playing in League 1 last season.

Don't think I've ever seen a full game at that ground despite going there 4 or 5 times with Coalville. Always end up in the coach and horses (i think that's the name) longer than expected at the start of either half haha.

23 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Don't think I've ever seen a full game at that ground despite going there 4 or 5 times with Coalville. Always end up in the coach and horses (i think that's the name) longer than expected at the start of either half haha.

Yeah great Thornbridge pub. I missed the second half of the Coalville game there last season due to preferring the pub than the game.

Just now, baker11 said:

Yeah great Thornbridge pub. I missed the second half of the Coalville game there last season due to preferring the pub than the game.

Haha I was probably in there as well. Always a great away day, quick train journey from Notts and The White Swan always opened up early for us.

Solid 5-1 for us last night and we're finally looking like having a squad that can push for top half this season. Hopefully we don't have all our best players cherry picked around christmas.

19 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Haha I was probably in there as well. Always a great away day, quick train journey from Notts and The White Swan always opened up early for us.

Solid 5-1 for us last night and we're finally looking like having a squad that can push for top half this season. Hopefully we don't have all our best players cherry picked around christmas.

Yeah I was in White Swan before the game also, there was some seriously drunk blokes in there. Came with a few of the Bochum guys that day.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Worthington said:

Coalville 'flying' after a stuttering start to the season !

'The Ravens' now up to 2nd in The Evo Stik Northern Premier. Close on the heels of Shaw Lane !

I noticed that, I think they might have been bottom of the league when I looked at the beginning of the month, certainly near the bottom, looked today and they're 2nd after 5 wins and a draw.  I also read the manager stepped down at the start of the month, some change in form since he left.

Aye, we're looking very good at the moment, new players are finally clicking and now we've got our best striker fit we look a completely different team. It's great to see us competing at this level after a stuttering first year last year. We went on a similar run last Christmas then went on to lose about 10 in 13 so I'm not getting ahead of myself yet haha.

It's nice to finally be ahead of Barwell officially, long may it continue :D

Long trip up to Workington in a couple of weeks, hopefully that'll be worth the journey.

9 minutes ago, Worthington said:

Yes...nice to see Barwell below Coalville....Just need to beat them in the league now !!

Went to Workington years ago, with the then Leicester United. Was in the supposedly 'regionalised' FA Trophy! Long trip, but the bit through the lakes is fairly spectacular! We drew there and they had to travel down for a midweek replay !! Suffice to say they arrived short of players and ended up with a coach playing and no 'subs' !

I'd never get my hopes that high, I don't think it's physically possible for us to do that haha.

Ouch! That's a hell of a trip on a week day. I remember us playing Lowestoft on a Tuesday night in an FA cup replay a few years back, ended up having to take 4 or 5 lads from the under 18s as a lot of the players couldn't get the time off work to travel down. Easiest money I've ever made betting on Lowestoft that night.

On 09/09/2017 at 20:33, Tuna said:

Over 3,000 today at Bootham Crescent to see York City beat Stockport County, that's more than there were at Yeovil, Barnet, Colchester, Accrington and Forest Green today.

That division is unreal. York, Stockport, Darlington, Gainsborough.... big clubs at that level. 

FC Halifax Town v Tranmere Rovers

Solihull Moors v 1974 Northwich/Ossett Town

South Shields v Hartlepool United

Shaw Lane AFC v Barrow AFC

Chorley v Boston United

Stafford United/AFC Telford United v Stockport County/FC United of Manchester

Harrogate Town/Bradford Park Avenue v Leamington/Gainsborough Trinity

Nantwich Town v Kettering Town

Buxton v Gateshead

Guiseley AFC v Shildon

AFC Fylde v Wrexham

Kidderminster Harriers v Chester FC

Scarborough Athletic/Stratford Town v Hyde United

Stourbridge v Macclesfield Town

Brackley Town v Hungerford Town/Billericay Town

Dagenham & Redbridge v Leyton Orient

Eastleigh v Hereford FC

Aldershot Town v Torquay United

Bath City v Chelmsford City

Oxford City v Bognor Regis Town

Maidenhead United v Havant & Waterlooville

Haringey Borough v Heybridge Swifts

Woking v Concord Rangers

Hampton & Richmond Borough v Truro City

Dover Athletic v Bromley

Slough Town v Folkestone Invicta

Burgess Hill Town v Dartford

St Albans City v Boreham Wood

Maidstone United v Enfield Town

Margate v Leatherhead

Paulton Rovers v Sutton United

East Thurrock United /Harlow Town v Ebbsfleet United

The Fourth Qualifying Round draw - some absolutely brilliant fixtures amongst them. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yeah fully expected BBC to have that as their game shown online. Shields have beaten Darlington and York so far, absolutely flying in the league too.

Hopefully, thankfully their love fest with Salford can't continue this season.

14 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

The new millionaire's play thing Billericay won their replay tonight, so a possible new love interest for the BBC.

FC United managed to win their replay against Stockport despite having 9 men.

Billercay will get knocked out IMO next round, Brackley are a very good side. It's their recent cup runs what's held them back in the league in the past couple of season. 

Carl Abbott resigned as Hinckley AFC manager on Tuesday, the MFL is a difficult league to get out of with one promotion place and usually one team per season with a hefty purse available, and I think the pressure took it's toll in the end.

Ex-Hinckley United manager Dean Thomas is in as interim manager.

Edited by Finnaldo

20 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Carl Abbott resigned as Hinckley AFC manager on Tuesday, the MFL is a difficult league to get out of with one promotion place and usually one team per season with a hefty purse available, and I think the pressure took it's toll in the end.

Ex-Hinckley United manager Dean Thomas is in as interim manager.

He has done quite a good job over the years there from the clubs birth has he not?

4 minutes ago, baker11 said:

He has done quite a good job over the years there from the clubs birth has he not?

I went to the original meetings and conferences when it reformed as AFC and we went from a name on a piece of paper to a team that has challenged yearly, and a lot of that credit goes to Carl. As I said it's been frustrating as there's been flaw that have hindered us year on year but like I said there's always been a team with deep pockets in the league, and Carl did a lot to make us contenders so quickly.

I don't get to that many games, but it's both a shame and an opportunity to move forwards. Dean should do a decent job for now but who we get in permanently will be very important.

Just now, Finnaldo said:

I went to the original meetings and conferences when it reformed as AFC and we went from a name on a piece of paper to a team that has challenged yearly, and a lot of that credit goes to Carl. As I said it's been frustrating as there's been flaw that have hindered us year on year but like I said there's always been a team with deep pockets in the league, and Carl did a lot to make us contenders so quickly.

I don't get to that many games, but it's both a shame and an opportunity to move forwards. Dean should do a decent job for now but who we get in permanently will be very important.

Sounds like he has done a very commendable job. Any news on getting the team back playing in the town?