Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DatfoxesKid23

Tom Lawrence is one of Newcastle's "Top transfer targets"

Put it this way, suppose he is an actual contracted Ipswich Town player. He has had a good season and has been noticed for it, you'd be looking at 10 million to sign him in today's market.

He deserves a chance within the first team setup here and I'm afraid if we cannot see that I wonder what's going on.

Interesting.

When we bought him, he was clearly "one for the future".  We sent him out on loan to gain experience and develop as a professional footballer.  By all accounts he did very well.  Personally I would like to see him get a chance with us, although I am not sure how much game time he'd get in the current squad.

The other way of looking at it is from a business point of view.  Small investment, large return.

Just now, AmarteyAndChill said:

It ends summer 2018 I think

So a year then, If he doesn't get into the first team he'll probably leave for free, even if he does get in the first team he might leave. Makes sense to take the money.

8 minutes ago, Webbo said:

So a year then, If he doesn't get into the first team he'll probably leave for free, even if he does get in the first team he might leave. Makes sense to take the money.

Sense..!!!  Money aint our major worry. Finding the right squad Players is!!!

Down right stupidity in my opinion, not to try a player who has shown and improved his potential, if he is on your

Own doorstep....Players like this can suddenly take-off.He deserves his chance, for me from within, next to Gray

One of the players in a GROUP who is in 1st pecking order...

Unless club and coaches see otherwise, for other reasons....

1 minute ago, fuchsntf said:

Sense..!!!  Money aint our major worry. Finding the right squad Players is!!!

Down right stupidity in my opinion, not to try a player who has shown and improved his potential, if he is on your

Own doorstep....Players like this can suddenly take-off.He deserves his chance, for me from within, next to Gray

One of the players in a GROUP who is in 1st pecking order...

Unless club and coaches see otherwise, for other reasons....

Money is always a consideration. Assuming Mahrez leaves He's got Gray, Kapustka and Barnes to get in front of. If he doesn't leave, one of those will. He's been here a while and had his chance, lets cash in.

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Money is always a consideration. Assuming Mahrez leaves He's got Gray, Kapustka and Barnes to get in front of. If he doesn't leave, one of those will. He's been here a while and had his chance, lets cash in.

and not to mention lcfc are apparently targeting a winger in Switzerland

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Aaahhh. I see your a Dagobert Duck type, hunched in your corner and counting your hoard, and watching your nephews club team go to pot..

:revenge:

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Aaahhh. I see your a Dagobert Duck type, hunched in your corner and counting your hoard, and watching your nephews club team go to pot..

:revenge:

In the UK it's Scrooge McDuck :D

latest?cb=20161208092414

Maybe worth a bit of a punt on keeping him, he's looked pretty good for the time he's had at the wrong end of the Championship and his efforts probably kept Ipswich out of the relegation zone last season, we don't have a great deal to lose by hanging on to him for a while. Maybe he dosn't want to stay, I can recall him questioning why no-one from th eCity had been in touch with him during his loan period (not sure that we're obliged to, but it would have made the lad feel better).

19 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We've got all these wingers but not one of them has adequately proved they're capable of regular first team football at the kind of level we aspire to.

Gray has the best chance and has shown the most promise but is hit and miss and hasn't had a consistent season. Kapustka hasn't had a chance and Barnes has been brilliant in League One.

I think Lawrence deserves a chance to prove he's capable of getting into our matchday squad, considering he's had a great season in the Championship. If it becomes apparent that he's nowhere near good enough we could look to offload him towards the end of the summer window or even in January when a desparate relegation-threatened club will pay for someone who would otherwise leave for free the following summer.

Apart from an extra few million quid, I don't think we have much to lose by giving Lawrence a chance to impress this preseason.

1 minute ago, ALC Fox said:

We've got all these wingers but not one of them has adequately proved they're capable of regular first team football at the kind of level we aspire too.

Gray has the best chance and has shown the most promise but is hit and miss and hasn't had a consistent season. Kapustka hasn't had a chance and Barnes has been brilliant in League One.

I think Lawrence deserves a chance to prove he's capable of getting into our matchday squad, considering he's had a great season in the Championship. If it becomes apparent that he's nowhere near good enough we could look to offload him towards the end of the summer window or even in January when a desparate relegation-threatened club will pay for someone who would otherwise leave for free the following summer.

Apart from an extra few million quid, I don't think we have much to lose by giving Lawrence a chance to impress this preseason.

I'm glad a few million quid is chicken feed to you but I think the owners would disagree.

7 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

We've got all these wingers but not one of them has adequately proved they're capable of regular first team football at the kind of level we aspire too.

You are a rich personlol

A few million quid is the reason this topic was posted because I'm pretty sure the owners would not agree with you

Been impressed with him at Ipswich - in a poor Ipswich side btw - but can't see him getting a game here. I'd like to see him behind Vardy in pre season, definitely. 

10 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'm glad a few million quid is chicken feed to you but I think the owners would disagree.

7 minutes ago, DatfoxesKid23 said:

You are a rich personlol

Haha!

I just think it could be worth taking the risk. Why sell this summer for £10m when he could become a regular in the first-team squad and provide a positive contribution towards winning the League Cup, the FA Cup or finishing in a Europa League spot. If he can't get in the side, you might get £7-8m in Jan if he's worth £10m now (say if Newcastle, Brighton, or Palace are in trouble, perhaps).

I know there are a lot of ifs and buts but I just think it's worth giving him a shot, really.

Archived