Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sdkessler

Should Leicester try this 3-4-3 formation next season?

4 minutes ago, Foxin hell said:

3 at the back in home games, 4 at the back away from home.

I think you absolutely missed the point of a back 3. A back 3 doesn't weaken defense. With wingbacks, it's actually more solid. Less channels for runners to exploit. More aerial coverage. This was demonstrated by Chelsea this season when they transitioned from a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-2-3-1 to 3-4-3 as well as by Arsenal a few days ago in the FA Cup finals. Very entertaining match. It was a 3-4-3 vs 3-4-3. Wenger was tactically superior in that match though hence their victory. However, I think Arsenal went with wingers instead of wingbacks but were still very solid. Not to mention the presence of the wingback would cover our attacking wingers(mahrez, gray etc) and the 3 CBs can cover the wingbacks in return. I think Barca used 3-4-3 in their 6-1 win against PSG as well.

Just now, sdkessler said:

I think you absolutely missed the point of a back 3. A back 3 doesn't weaken defense. With wingbacks, it's actually more solid. Less channels for runners to exploit. More aerial coverage. This was demonstrated by Chelsea this season when they transitioned from a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-2-3-1 to 3-4-3 as well as by Arsenal a few days ago in the FA Cup finals. Very entertaining match. It was a 3-4-3 vs 3-4-3. Wenger was tactically superior in that match though hence their victory. However, I think Arsenal went with wingers instead of wingbacks but were still very solid. Not to mention the presence of the wingback would cover our attacking wingers(mahrez, mahrez etc) and the 3 CBs can cover the wingbacks in return. I think Barca used 3-4-3 in their 6-1 win against PSG as well.

I'm not saying it'll weaken our defence. At home last season at times we looked really predictable, changing to a back 3 would mean we could have Albrighton Mahrez and maybe Gray on at the same time which would give us much more options going forward.

There's some really good points expressed in this debate but it sure emphasises the problems faced by managers. And what a fine line it can be between success or failure, praise or condemnation.

There's no easy or permanent answers of course because there are opponents and opposing managers to consider as well and they will be doing their best to impose their own system and to disrupt ours. 

People sometimes describe football as a simple game but really it's quite complex and with so many ever changing variables, rather like a chess game with moving parts. Totally fascinating and no chance of any two games being even nearly the same.       

3 hours ago, foxes21 said:

4-4-1-1 = Plan A.

3-4-1-2 = Plan B.

Plan C = 'Hoof' it anywhere up the other end and pray and hope Vardy is quick enough to stop it going out for a goal kick.

3 hours ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

People saying 3-4-1-2 should know that Mahrez plays better coming in from the right.

mAHREZ PLAYS BEST WHEN HE'S ALLOWED TO DO WHATEVER THE **** HE LIKES. hE'S HAD HIS BEST GAMES WHERE HE'S ROUTINELY GIVEN THE BALL IN SPACE. i THINK THAT A 3-4-3 WOULD GIVE HIM THE MOST SPACE.

Edit; Bollocks, caps lock. :blush:

We certainly should have more tactical flexibility for different scenarios. 4411, 343, 433. We should be capable of altering the system if required. 

The 343 system could have the same effect for Mahrez what it did for Hazard

5 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Thanks for clarifying that, for a moment i thought you were suggesting we sign Chris Brown as a like for like replacement for Danny Simpson!

Charlotte Bronte would be more effective.

I think we could, however, I think the side would need a lot of improvement in defensive areas. I think we'd be more suited to a 3-5-2 similarly to the great escape team with Fuchs and two new defenders at the back, Albrighton and Chilwell wing-backs, the usual central midfield, a new attacking midfielder and Vardy with Okazaki/Slimani up top.

16 hours ago, Blue Ed said:

The problem with 3-4-3 it's not 4-4-2, we tried diferent formations last season and it was an absolute disaster. stick to what we know and what won us the league! 

The problem is that we kept changing drastically mid-season. The players were given roles they didn't have a clue on how to execute properly. This time around, we have 2+ months of preseason to prepare next season's tactics

21 hours ago, gcxttle said:

I think we could, however, I think the side would need a lot of improvement in defensive areas. I think we'd be more suited to a 3-5-2 similarly to the great escape team with Fuchs and two new defenders at the back, Albrighton and Chilwell wing-backs, the usual central midfield, a new attacking midfielder and Vardy with Okazaki/Slimani up top.

yes, I do agree. I feel like we need to play 3 CBs + 2 wingbacks. 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 should both work fine.

43 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Interestingly enough I always thought albrighton had his best games for us at wingback in the great escape season. 

ikr. His potential is wasted on the left flank considering his best foot is his right foot, his defensive nature, and work rate

1 hour ago, sdkessler said:

ikr. His potential is wasted on the left flank considering his best foot is his right foot, his defensive nature, and work rate

He's everything you'd want from a wing back, brilliant workrate to get up and down the wing, great crossing ability and enough defensive know-how. Personally think he'd do better than what victor moses does for Chelsea.

2 hours ago, sdkessler said:

Yet most of his crosses that result in a goal ,and goals he's scored are from the left or cutting in from the left

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

Yet most of his crosses and goals he's scored are from the left or cutting in from the left

cutting in from the left = using the opposite foot aka his right foot. Crosses = left foot. To use his best foot on the left foot, he has to cut in. Otherwise, he uses his left. Mahrez cuts in a lot, thus why he's on the right flank despite being being left-footed.

Also, isn't it logical that most of his goals and assist come from the left because that's basically where he plays most of the time....

5 minutes ago, sdkessler said:

cutting in from the left = using the opposite foot aka his right foot. Crosses = left foot. To use his best foot on the left foot, he has to cut in. Otherwise, he uses his left. Mahrez cuts in a lot, thus why he's on the right flank despite being being left-footed.

Also, isn't it logical that most of his goals and assist come from the left because that's basically where he plays most of the time....

No he doesn't, he crosses with his right foot by cutting back slightly to lose the right back.

No he doesn't, he crosses with his right foot by cutting back slightly to lose the right back.

Exactly, he does that in order to use his right foot instead of his left. In doing so, we lose a bit of forward tempo as he needs to slow down and stop the ball for a second. Ideally, for wingers, the general plan is to just run past the full-back and cross with the corresponding foot.

1 minute ago, sdkessler said:

Exactly, he does that in order to use his right foot instead of his left. In doing so, we lose a bit of forward tempo as he needs to slow down and stop the ball for a second. Ideally, for wingers, the general plan is to just run past the full-back and cross with the corresponding foot.

You were saying his potential is lost on the left wing and I was making the point that he's better on the left than the right

You were saying his potential is lost on the left wing and I was making the point that he's better on the left than the right

I said he would be better on the right than on the left. The problem is that your argument contradicts itself. As you can see from the video you linked, 4 of his 5 best crosses come from his right foot, by cutting in. Ideally, an orthodox winger should be running the touchlines as Mahrez is cutting in on the other side. Why? Watch the first match of the season against Hull. Gray and Mahrez on the flanks. They both cut in a lot. This lead to a lack in width and as a result compressed Hull's defense, leaving no space for the strikers. An orthodox winger, generally should be placed on the wing corresponding to his strong foot. Gray was dropped after the match for this reason.

22 minutes ago, sdkessler said:

I said he would be better on the right than on the left. The problem is that your argument contradicts itself. As you can see from the video you linked, 4 of his 5 best crosses come from his right foot, by cutting in. Ideally, an orthodox winger should be running the touchlines as Mahrez is cutting in on the other side. Why? Watch the first match of the season against Hull. Gray and Mahrez on the flanks. They both cut in a lot. This lead to a lack in width and as a result compressed Hull's defense, leaving no space for the strikers. An orthodox winger, generally should be placed on the wing corresponding to his strong foot. Gray was dropped after the match for this reason.

Need overlapping full backs to provide the width. 

To many experts on here I think

My thoughts for what they're worth.

Any formation they want as long as they play with skill, passion and be the best they can be.

Oh, nearly forget.......... winning as well would be nice  :thumbup:

Archived