Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Championship 2017/18

10 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Surprised people churn out stuff like this when we've seen first hand just how dross most of this division is. Wolves wouldn't get relegated with their current squad let alone when they add to it. 

I was only being facetious with that comment as teams teams do come up and hold their own. 

The quality of the lower half of the PL has been poor for years - the likes of Wigan and Reading have finished 10th (or there abouts) in their first season in the last 10 years or so. 

But spending correctly is also needed more than ever now with other clubs spending £50m+ per transfer window.... people tipped Newcastle to stay up, with Rafa in charge, but they’re in a relegation battle. Even we won the Championship and then spent 75% of the PL season bottom of the league. 

But yeah they look a good side. I expected them to beat Swansea at home in the FA Cup but didn’t though.

Edited by Fox92

We should have done. Just didn't put our chances away.

And we are one of the few clubs in the Championship who do spend correctly (Hello Steve Bruce...). If we spend big it's on good young players who will only go up in value, or we'd at least break even on if we have to move them on.

Guest FriendlyRam

I can't disagree with the bear in regards to both our transfer dealings. We spent a fair bit in the summer as well .. Davies, Huddleston, Wisdom, Lawrence and Ledley were all signed, some for quite large fees and their wages are big as well. Just that we bought better under Rowett than we ever did under Mcclaren, but still doesn't hide the fact we've spent a lot of money over the past 3 years, not to mention the money Mels spent doing up the clubs training facilities and around the ground as well,, plus he's putting more in for this fan zone project. 

Wolves aren't spending to make sure of promotion though, they're preparing for the premiership now so best to get a headstart over the other 2 promoted clubs,, not arrogance as everyone else knows their pretty much up anyway. 

On 09/01/2018 at 22:39, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Surprised people churn out stuff like this when we've seen first hand just how dross most of this division is. Wolves wouldn't get relegated with their current squad let alone when they add to it. 

Honestly think they'd be top half PL at the minute. The bottom half is nothing to fear. Huddersfield are 11th lol 

• Like 1

On 09/01/2018 at 22:39, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Whilst i agree its always fun to try and get the bear to nibble on the lines cast. 

Wolves would do alright currently in the prem. they've torn up the champeenship so fair play. i thought theyd struggle. get me a knife and fork i will eat my words

• Like 1

Not sure we'd quite be top half. We wouldn't go down with the current squad though, mainly because Nuno has them organised so well defensively, and we'd nick games by the odd goal.

Once the summer is here I predict the owners will want to make a splash and get a couple of marquee signings. I could see us spending around £100m+ just for starters on upgrades for RB, CB + S. Possibly CM too to (hopefully) play alongside Neves.

There's already a rumour we're trying to negotiate a deal for the summer with Barca for Andre Gomes. We'll likely go in for Andre Silva again too. We really would be Portuhampton with those two as well!

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Not sure we'd quite be top half. We wouldn't go down with the current squad though, mainly because Nuno has them organised so well defensively, and we'd nick games by the odd goal.

Once the summer is here I predict the owners will want to make a splash and get a couple of marquee signings. I could see us spending around £100m+ just for starters on upgrades for RB, CB + S. Possibly CM too to (hopefully) play alongside Neves.

There's already a rumour we're trying to negotiate a deal for the summer with Barca for Andre Gomes. We'll likely go in for Andre Silva again too. We really would be Portuhampton with those two as well!

It's all the Portuguese lads grabbing the headlines but from what (admittedly little) I've seen of Wolves Barry Douglas has been class.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 1

Shit atmosphere, drab game, and some really pathetic attempts at some handbags from both sets of players. I enjoy going down to Brentford a few times but from what I've seen of the Championship this year, it will be a very depressing day if/when we end up back there. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Shit atmosphere, drab game, and some really pathetic attempts at some handbags from both sets of players. I enjoy going down to Brentford a few times but from what I've seen of the Championship this year, it will be a very depressing day if/when we end up back there. 

The standard is horrific. 

There are a few sides that knock it around (Brighton last season was okay to watch) but naturally/obviously the PL has such better standard. When we were in the Championship for so long I thought the difference wasn't big but it is.

The Championship has a lot of very good away days but I never want to go down again. In fact, I sit hear pleased I know I'm going to Stamford Bridge tomorrow.

Edited by Fox92

26 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Sounded great on the radio. Also heard good things from someone in the ground.

TV is deceiving. 

TV is, I agree.

I just think if this was any PL derby people would be like "atmosphere is shit, look at all those tourists" or whatever.

Edited by Fox92

7 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

burnley, us, everton and Watford are top half 22 games into the season. one of them is burnley, two of them sacked their managers 3 months into the season because they were going to get relegated and the other have lost all but one of their last 8 games or something.  

you literally need to win 3 or 4 games against some rubbish teams and you're top half. anyone who comes up in the next 2 or 3 years will stay up comfortably if they've got anything about them. look at the three who have come up this year. they are all absolutely rubbish and there's barely been a moment's worry that any of them will be relegated (so far). this whole league is rubbish apart from man city. 

Great post.