Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Championship 2017/18

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

I'd rather risk it with expensive European players with decent reputations, than cheap as chips League One players. Neither are guaranteed as you say.

Think you have got your hands on a great player. Just a thought, what will FFP look like for you guys?

Guest FriendlyRam
3 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Throwing money for players doesn't always guarantee success, though.

Just ask Derby fans in particular.

I would say it makes it harder,, the moment jacob butterfield and bradley johnson were signed for a combined 11m on deadline day we had "got to go up now" ringing round the stadium and in the media,, that was after spending 5m on ince, 3m on shackell, not to mention the high wages thrown at carson, baird and bent,, im so glad weve stopped the stupid spending,, and selling a good few players and looking to more caeeful in the buying department. The pressure will be on wolves now i should imagine, and sheff weds too, because their the new money throwers it seems,, although we cant criticise.

Message to wolves... dont spend 3m on blackman in january....

We're not in amy danger with FFP yet. Neves' £15m will be amortised over the 5 years of his contract. So for FFP purposes he'll be costing us £3m per season.

Even if we did get into trouble (you're allowed a net loss of £39m over 3 years), we are buying good young players who we will get at least our money back. Neves' fee was actually cheap for a player of his calibre because Porto were desperate for the money. He should have been going for at least £25-30m. Also Costa cost us £13m and he'll easily go for more than that if we don't get promoted this season or next. Either if those players being sold would balance the books no problem.

So we will balance the books by making smart purchases even if they seem expensive by moving them on.

yeah man like kramaric over jamie vardy all day 

I remember us buying Michael Kightly from Grays Athletic for £25k and Matt Jarvis for £600k from Gillingham. They were instant hits in the Championship. So I know exactly what you mean, trust me!

Really makes you appreciate what Big Nige did here when you see some of the money being thrown around in the championship. He really did have the perfect model of how to get us promoted.

As for Ruben Neves, on paper it looks like a fantastic signing. Remember seeing him against Chelsea the other year and being impressed. Thought he'd end up at a club like Chelsea tbf. No offence @TheBear. but I have to wonder what his ambitions are going to a second tier English club

14 hours ago, The Bear said:

If you've got almost unlimited funds you may as well use them.

Oh dear.

Any investment company will want to get a proper return within a defined space of time.

You may have a lot of funds at your disposal now, but you'll see investors selling their assets asap when things don't work out the way they were meant to.

In spite of all the obvious cheerfulness and delight amongst the Wolves fanbase with plenty of £££ signs in the eyes and given how you come across, I'd be careful what you wish for.

It's the Championship, after all. And with every season passing, it gets harder and harder getting out of there, reaching the PL.

It's not so much about money, but about gaining and keeping momentum.

Good luck.

Edited by MC Prussian

Cheers. Due to FFP we'd have to sell our assets if we didn't achieve promotion anyway. So as long as we buy players we can get our money back from in that scenario, we should be fine. The only way the owners get a return on their investment is to get us promoted asap.

As for Neves, he spent most of last season on the bench for Porto because of a better player (Danilo) playing his role in the team. With it being a World Cup season he may have been convinced that playing 46 games and getting used to English football is preferable to risking being on the bench again for a good Prem team or staying at Porto. He's only 20 and needs to be playing regularly.

Really makes you appreciate what Big Nige did here when you see some of the money being thrown around in the championship. He really did have the perfect model of how to get us promoted.

Ahem...

http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/future-city-secure-owner-wipes-huge-debts/story-20352762-detail/story.html

Wolves have never been in huge debt and we've always been run properly. Especially under Steve Morgan and Jez Moxey. In fact we operated with a small profit.

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

Ahem...

http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/future-city-secure-owner-wipes-huge-debts/story-20352762-detail/story.html

Wolves have never been in huge debt and we've always been run properly. Especially under Steve Morgan and Jez Moxey. In fact we operated with a small profit.

I don't get what you're trying to say posting that? Pearson didnt get us into debt. These owners haven't either

No but they pumped over £100m to wipe out your debt before the new FFP rules came into play which gave you a big advantage. You also had the 2nd highest wage bill in the league the year you got promoted, only behind QPR's ridiculous wage bill. My point is it's not like you got promoted on a shoestring budget or didn't have owners that chucked money at the club.

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

No but they pumped over £100m to wipe out your debt before the new FFP rules came into play which gave you a big advantage. You also had the 2nd highest wage bill in the league the year you got promoted, only behind QPR's ridiculous wage bill. My point is it's not like you got promoted on a shoestring budget or didn't have owners that chucked money at the club.

Fair comment I say. Pearson did a fantastic job, working patiently over a number of years. He slowly fitted the jigsaw together but we were hardly doing fundraisers for players. 

Guest FriendlyRam
4 hours ago, The Bear said:

Cheers. Due to FFP we'd have to sell our assets if we didn't achieve promotion anyway. So as long as we buy players we can get our money back from in that scenario, we should be fine. The only way the owners get a return on their investment is to get us promoted asap.

As for Neves, he spent most of last season on the bench for Porto because of a better player (Danilo) playing his role in the team. With it being a World Cup season he may have been convinced that playing 46 games and getting used to English football is preferable to risking being on the bench again for a good Prem team or staying at Porto. He's only 20 and needs to be playing regularly.

We sort of had back up in that we had players we could sell if it went t**s up aswell.

The problem being after its gone t*** up the owner is reluctant to pump any more cash in (understandable), just hope you dont do what we did which was to spend the money on bang average championship players and end up having to sell the ones who were better than the ones signed.

I dunno, if his other choices were sitting on the bench at Chelsea/Liverpool/Porto then he might.

I don't think he had much choice really because of Porto needing to sell him asap, and not because of anything else. Seems like we were the only ones who were willing to give them the money they wanted up front. Neves probably agreed because it helps out the club he supports (Porto), we could afford to pay him the wages he wanted, and he could still attract a PL club by playing in England or even getting promoted with us.