Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Mahrez has asked to leave

26 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Thank God (or Buddha) we have owners that are esture business people. We got mugged off on Kante due to a release clause. On the assumption there is not a similar clause in 'RM's' contract, we should at least end up with a decent wedge. That is what must happen here.. We cannot force any player to stay with us. Like many on FT, I have been a Foxes fan long before Mahrez joined us and still will be long after he has gone..  

esture please? Were you going for 'astute'?

12 minutes ago, Bozman said:

Funny he releases this statement about wanting to leave, about  an hour after Wenger agrees a 2 year deal to stay on at the Arse....

At least if he goes to Arsenal we know that he won't get another Premiership medal. His Champions League runs will be short as well! If Sanchez leaves he's hardly a replacement for him.

1 hour ago, Redouane said:

It feels like he had an agreement with management that he would sign a 5 year contract, but on a condition that he'll be able to leave if he chooses to. So if they block the transfer as some media outlets are implying, it would be very be the same story as West Ham and Payet. 

I don't think they're blocking the transfer. Just based on the media reports, they don't want him to go but should he persist, they want what they deem to be market value. Personally, I hope they do block it (that's me being selfish) but I think they are acting entirely fair (again, based on the reports).

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Because there is no need to do it, all he needs to do is raise it with the club. His statement is nothing more than a tool to help buying teams get a cheaper deal by attempting to force through a move.

It could also hamper the clubs attempts to sign players, with them perhaps now thinking twice if the club loses one of their high profile players.

It is a selfish piece of shit move in my opinion, he wants to go... fine. But don't do it through the press.

I think you're wrong here.

I'm sure the way the works are these things are open secrets in the football world. Mahrez has probably come out with this statement because there has already been preliminary talks with his agent and another club. We still hold all the cards, he has no release clause and three years on his current contract to go. Whilst the club may be sympathetic to his needs we won't be bent over and dry bummed. There is no way he goes for less than £30m, this was the figures talked of for the likes of Deeney and spent on Bolassie and Sissoko. Mahrez is 26 and a top ten Balon d'Or player and the former PFA POTY. 

We will probably ask for £50m and accept £40m. 

Riyad Mahrez

Mahrez had the top European clubs after him last summer after helping Leicester win the Premier League title.

This year he has handed in a transfer request to wake up the suitors from 2016 - with the Gunners among those interested.

Pros of the Algerian is he knows the league, the cons being he looks like a one-season wonder and a tad overpriced.

from the mirror 

Arsenals top target list

11 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I don't think they're blocking the transfer. Just based on the media reports, they don't want him to go but should he persist, they want what they deem to be market value. Personally, I hope they do block it (that's me being selfish) but I think they are acting entirely fair (again, based on the reports).

I would too. I love him as a player, but as a person he's an idiot. He's got the good life at Leicester and wants to leave. He's adored by *most* fans, has a good wage, was part of a special title win and champions league run, is a regular starter.. I'm not saying he can't succeed anywhere else, he just might. BUT it's a huge risk

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Pisses me off as now it could put off some potential signings.

The club will have known he's leaving, do you want them to lie when asked by potential signings/agents if all the 'stars' are staying?

Not sure I want us signing players who will be pissed off if they find out they've been misled.

1 hour ago, Monsell1976 said:

Wish him all the best, could have left last season, but stayed and showed loyalty as he was in high demand.

A lot on here will be glad he's going because he shit, lazy and done nothing all season!!

We will see how bad he is when he's not marked out of the game, because he's our only real creative player, and is in a team of class players, then people might appreciate what we had.

How many bids did the club have for him?

1 hour ago, Demoox said:

If anyone is interested, i've just compiled his 16/17 season.

Nothing really incredible but some quality moments.

And to think this has been a poor season by his standards and some are still saying good riddance.

We all know he's far from the best defensively but his touch is insane, his passing is incisive and accurate even at 40/50 yards, his finishing is fantastic and there's not one player he can't turn inside out. 

I get the frustration but I bet not a single one of his teammates wants him to go and yet some fans do. Beggars belief.

1 minute ago, ajthefox said:

And to think this has been a poor season by his standards and some are still saying good riddance.

We all know he's far from the best defensively but his touch is insane, his passing is incisive and accurate even at 40/50 yards, his finishing is fantastic and there's not one player he can't turn inside out. 

I get the frustration but I bet not a single one of his teammates wants him to go and yet some fans do. Beggars belief.

It was mahrezs quick thinking and one two with Andy King that made Okazakis goal vs man city. He then played the pass to Albrighton who got the assist. 

28 minutes ago, murphy said:

How many bids did the club have for him?

Don't know, the club didn't comment, but from his statement the offers were there, and the club asked him for one more season, and he signed on the basis that they wouldn't stand in his way, after that

Without being in the know, its mahrez we are talking about, not Andy king a lot worship on here, so I would have thought he had plenty of offers and options, after 2015/16, as he still does now, not bad if someone pays £40 + million for a player, who a lot on foxes talk rate as crap

29 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

I'm delighted that Mahrez is getting so much praise this evening, but also slightly amazed because all season, home and away all I've heard is people giving him dogs abuse. 

I really don't understand the abuse. I get that his body language isn't the best at times - but he clearly wants to win when he wears an LCFC shirt and he showed us way more loyalty than Kante.

I'm always amazed when fans show Kante more love than Mahrez. Mahrez was the one who has grown with the club and the one who stayed loyal to LCFC and the Champions League campaign.  

2 hours ago, Demoox said:

If anyone is interested, i've just compiled his 16/17 season.

Nothing really incredible but some quality moments.

Exactly! No one can argue against the fact that he's far from the Mahrez of last season, but he still has moments of genius. Also I don't understand those saying he's been bad since the start of the season. I honestly remember him being the best player in the squad until AFCON where his performance consequently degraded in the premier league.  Then when Mahrez got crap, everyone else improved. 

Good luck for the future Riyad, I've never seen anyone control a ball quite like he does and probably never will again in a Leicester shirt. Class act last season, but only patches of brilliance this, he'll have to up his game considerably next wherever he ends up.

Probably best for him to move on now and better to get it sorted early to allow time to plan for next season. Having said that, this seems like a cynical move on his part to drive his price down and allow more for his wages. Just hope we can get 30m+ for him and more importantly use it wisely.

Not gonna say he was our best ever player but for a single season he probably was and without him we wouldn't have won the league last year. 

However we might be a better team next year without carrying a luxury player like we did most of this season. Hopefully Gray will stay. 

Archived