Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GLC

Mahrez has asked to leave

37 minutes ago, Bilo said:

The question is who is on the same level as Mahrez and wouldn't cost us £40m? To get someone of his ilk, that's the price tag these days. I daresay that the days of bargains like Mahrez for £400k, Vardy for £1m and Kante for £5m are behind us now. 

I imagine we'll be casting the scouting net into Europe. 

Those were the Championship days and they are gone - and so is Steve Walsh. With us boasting a PL trophy and being able to offer Premier League football (and Premier League wages) to newcomers, finding a gem like the aforementioned ones will be a much, much tougher task now.

Please... Let's not hammer him. He played a massive part in winning us the Premier League. Sure he did not hit the heights this year but he was not alone.

Thanks for the memories and good luck Riyad. Truly gifted

PS. Don't go to Bottledit Hotspur :)

1 hour ago, Wookie said:

Thanks for everything Riyad but he played like he knew he was leaving this season 

This.

Not one bit surprised by this news. Performances towards the end were disappointing and were very much of a player who knew he was off, but for me it doesn't overshadow how good he's been for us. An absolute gem of a signing and a pleasure to watch. He'll get the usual slating on here but they won't appreciate how good he is until next year.

Hope he goes to Monaco or Atletico. Would be disappointed to play against him.

Goodbye, Riyad.

Thank you very much for the great memories, be it in the Championship (that goal vs. Blackpool, for instance) or in the Premier League (Manchester City away, Aston Villa at home amongst others).

But after all the glory, all the delight, all the showboating and excitement, during this/the past 16/17 season, you had changed and you were one of the most frustrating players to watch all campaign. Lacklustre, ineffective, more one-sided than ever before, the flair had gone.

You only showed your talent in increments, and that was mostly during our Champions League adventure.

I wish you well wherever you go, just don't stay in the Premier League. I don't think I could handle the thought of seeing you in an opposition's shirt.

And you could've left with a bit more class, and after having put in more effort in your final season with us. With your natural skill and instinct, 16/17 will always hang above your head as your very personal Sword of Damocles.

But also remember: LCFC made you as much as you made LCFC. This club gave you the big break. Nurture your talent, stay safe, stay classy and avoid sulky mode whenever possible. Then you'll have an even brighter future ahead of you.

Gutted to read that statement. Probably my favourite ever City player and definitely the most talented. Going to be painful to see him leave, unlike Kante who ****ed off at the first opportunity, Riyad has been on this 4 year journey with us and seems to have a genuine affinity with the club and the fans.

I'm trying not to be too despondent but it does feel like the start of the end of our greatest era - how on Earth will we ever replace a guy of that stature? Factor in that we're a bit of a shambles off the pitch and this starts to feel like a pivotal summer for me if we're to establish ourselves as a decent top flight side.

Not surprised but still extremely disappointed.

After the season finished I wasn't totally convinced there would be clubs lining up to take him due to his inconsistent season.

But there must be, right? 

Surely he wouldn't make the mistake of asking to leave without knowing categorically teams could match our valuation.

Personally can't see him staying in England. Not sure he has done enough this campaign to warrant a Top British  team coming in for him.

Most probable destination is France. Interesting the timing is just after Bernardo Silva has signed for City.

Can see Monaco wanting him to fill the void left.

Good luck to him. Praying he goes abroad. 

It would really hurt to see him wear another English teams shirt.

people saying we need to stand firm and fight for him.

not gonna happen. The agreement with the owners last summer is something I can't see being turned on. It probably would have been a 'gentleman's agreement' to stay for one more season. Mahrez has honoured that. Now the owners will honour it by selling him. And I'm sure a price would have been agreed between them (and Riyad's agent no doubt) so if someone does come in with that price, we accept.

The sooner people realise that he will be sold in the summer, the easier it will be for them to move on!

1 minute ago, Paddy. said:

Gutted to read that statement. Probably my favourite ever City player and definitely the most talented. Going to be painful to see him leave, unlike Kante who ****ed off at the first opportunity, Riyad has been on this 4 year journey with us and seems to have a genuine affinity with the club and the fans.

I'm trying not to be too despondent but it does feel like the start of the end of our greatest era - how on Earth will we ever replace a guy of that stature? Factor in that we're a bit of a shambles off the pitch and this starts to feel like a pivotal summer for me if we're to establish ourselves as a decent top flight side.

C'mon, we said that about Ritcie Wellens

We found him.

We plucked him from obscurity and put him on the biggest stage in the world.

He blossomed and helped us to the greatest achievement in our history.

He stayed when he could have gone and had a frustrating season.

He leaves with my good wishes and thanks for the memories.

Just now, StanSP said:

people saying we need to stand firm and fight for him.

not gonna happen. The agreement with the owners last summer is something I can't see being turned on. It probably would have been a 'gentleman's agreement' to stay for one more season. Mahrez has honoured that. Now the owners will honour it by selling him. And I'm sure a price would have been agreed between them (and Riyad's agent no doubt) so if someone does come in with that price, we accept.

The sooner people realise that he will be sold in the summer, the easier it will be for them to move on!

I'm not saying reject any offer and don't let him go at all.

I'm saying let him go, with blessing, but only for what he's worth, what we value him at and don't budge.

The 'Gentleman's Agreement' works both ways and I don't feel he has really tried that much this year, he's certainly not played as well as he can and the attitude thing is an easy thing to throw at him because he's always been laid back and relaxed but when he's not performing as I say it's an easy thing to throw at him.

The fact he hasn't kept up his side of the bargain, not seemed to do any of those things doesn't go in line with the said gentleman's agreement.

I can't see anyone being interested in him for more than £35m, maybe that was the agreed price, i'll be fuming if it was but it's just by typical that it was for us, probably less.

People saying there must be clubs interested in him to come out with this statement i'm not sure I agree, to me it's almost a 'oh shit, no-one seems to bothered, lets issue a come and get me plea'.

Archived