Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Would you still want Mahrez as a City player?

All hypothetical, I know, but if we now don't sell Mahrez would you still be happy to see him performing week-in, week-out in a City shirt.

The player has been honest and publically stated he wants out. Which I commend him for. It's in the open and there's no confusion.

But he HAS stated he don't want to be here anymore.. ..

If we get no realistic offers, are you going to be happy with him staying?

Opinions please.

I'd be very happy to see him performing for us week in, week out which he bloody should be if he doesn't get his move as he's still being paid £100k a week.

Don't think it's too unrealistic that he will still be here to be honest. Not many clubs can afford the £100k wages and the £40m+ transfer fee which we are absolutely right to hold out for. Don't see why we should lower our fee based on his loyalty (as it's being loosely reported he has done), it's not like he stayed an extra year on the same wages, he got a huge pay rise.

4 minutes ago, Worthington said:

Precisely this. If he knuckles down and turns on the magic on a fairly regular basis.

If we're only going to see the dispirited, head down, double marked frustration too prevalent in 16-17 then I'd rather have the ££££ thanks !

Careful! don't you know criticising Mahrez is frowned upon on this site?!?

If he doesn't get his move this summer then he'll know he needs to raise his stock back to last years level to gain interest from the top clubs. I'm confident we'd see the best of Riyad again if he got stuck here for another year. 

Course I would.

However:

•Do I think he needs to buck his ideas up? Yes.

•Does he need to improve (performance and attitude)? Yes.

•Is he droppable? Based on last season's form yes.

At the end of the day if I were in a buying clubs shoes would I be happy paying more than £25 - £35m? No. Do we want more than that, £40 - £50m? Yes.

So I can see a stalemate and we don't need to sell, other than having an unhappy player on our books but in that situation Mahrez needs to grit his teeth, knuckle down, get on with it, have a good season for us, like we know he can then buying clubs might be interested at the price we're asking and he'll get his move.

100% yes I would keep him.

We have no reason to sell, and if we can sell him the Leicester project to show him we can get to where he wants to be, then I don't think there would be a problem. By all accounts Mahrez is a nice guy, and wouldn't throw his toys out of the pram. I know his form has been iffy this season, but from everything Shakey has said, Mahrez is just as frustrated as the fans by that.

Assure him that we'll build the team around him for the next couple of years, and give him the best platform to shine. I'm confident he would stay (and perform) if he felt Leicester was the best option for him right now.

29 minutes ago, Matt said:

Course I would.

However:

•Do I think he needs to buck his ideas up? Yes.

•Does he need to improve (performance and attitude)? Yes.

•Is he droppable? Based on last season's form yes.

At the end of the day if I were in a buying clubs shoes would I be happy paying more than £25 - £35m? No. Do we want more than that, £40 - £50m? Yes.

So I can see a stalemate and we don't need to sell, other than having an unhappy player on our books but in that situation Mahrez needs to grit his teeth, knuckle down, get on with it, have a good season for us, like we know he can then buying clubs might be interested at the price we're asking and he'll get his move.

I concur with this.

My preference is that he leaves for a decent fee.

My problem with him is he can't be trusted to 'put it in'. And when I say that I mean not only to do the running, but to be a team player; that's what changed from the title winning season. He is at his most valuable to the team when he passes the ball.

That means, disbanding the Riyad Mahrez Performing Circus, and at appropriate times letting his mates have a go, rather than attempting to dribble for minutes on end, throwing in step overs and ignoring simple passes.

Lets face it, he should have been benched for a few games which is was a failing in management with both Ranieri who recognised the problem, but did nothing about it, and Shakey who imo shamefully pandered to him. It's as if, he thought if I play him every week he won't leave.

He played a whole season totally on previous form and reputation, and in football as in Racing, the form that is most likely to be replicated is recent form and that has been proven in this case where poor form went on and on in PL games.

I don't see how he will turn it on again here, or why we should accept him 'back' given his behaviour over the last 12 months which I think has been pretty bad, considering he's the one who signed a 5 year deal on £100k a week less than 12 months ago.

Now he's begging the club to reduce the fee. Who the **** does he think he is?

Get rid for as much as we can in the next couple of weeks so we can concentrate on people who want to play for the club.

5 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

100% yes I would keep him.

We have no reason to sell, and if we can sell him the Leicester project to show him we can get to where he wants to be, then I don't think there would be a problem. By all accounts Mahrez is a nice guy, and wouldn't throw his toys out of the pram. I know his form has been iffy this season, but from everything Shakey has said, Mahrez is just as frustrated as the fans by that.

Assure him that we'll build the team around him for the next couple of years, and give him the best platform to shine. I'm confident he would stay (and perform) if he felt Leicester was the best option for him right now.

He's already thrown his toys out of the pram by publicly announcing he wants to leave - that should've been between him and the club if he wanted to do things correctly.

Then asking, again in the public domain, for the club to reduce the fee. (Which could cost the club multiple millions of £s as a result).

Build the team around him?

Pander to him for another two seasons?

That is no way to run a successful football team in this day and age ffs.

29 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

If you are unhappy at work and that dream job you have applied for falls through, you still have to go to work and carry on your old job until something better turns up.

I see nothing different here.

I think the difference is footballers can go back to their old job and refuse to work just because their job interview failed, something you'd most likely get sacked for gross misconduct for if you tried it anywhere else

Of course we'd all like to see the 15/16 version of Mahrez stay and perform to the level we know he can.

Would the 16/17 version be a loss, no he wouldn't, and he should have been dropped numerous times...the problem being he would have thrown his toys out of the pram and sulked, probably publicly, reducing his stock even further, on and off the pitch.

I think the majority of City fans have rose coloured specs when it comes to Mahrez, he was good in the first season in the Prem when teams ignored him, he was great in the title winning season when everyone underestimated him and the rest of the side...but we've had the best of him and he is not the top quality super star some would make out...a great player on his day, a good player when he is in the mood and a bang average one much of the time.

He is taking the pi** with his statement and trying to force the clubs hand to sell him on the cheap, and if he doesn't get his way I reckon he could be this year's Payet...sulking and on strike because we have treated him so unfairly...by paying him £100k a week or more and giving him a massive new contract last year. He is no hero in my eyes for "being loyal" last year, it suited him to stay and play CL football with a massive new contract, he's not going to be in demand as much as he thinks, and when he's not he will blame the club!

Let him rot on the bench unless the club get what they want, last year's Mahrez is no real loss.

8 minutes ago, Leicester69 said:

Of course we'd all like to see the 15/16 version of Mahrez stay and perform to the level we know he can.

Would the 16/17 version be a loss, no he wouldn't, and he should have been dropped numerous times...the problem being he would have thrown his toys out of the pram and sulked, probably publicly, reducing his stock even further, on and off the pitch.

I think the majority of City fans have rose coloured specs when it comes to Mahrez, he was good in the first season in the Prem when teams ignored him, he was great in the title winning season when everyone underestimated him and the rest of the side...but we've had the best of him and he is not the top quality super star some would make out...a great player on his day, a good player when he is in the mood and a bang average one much of the time.

He is taking the pi** with his statement and trying to force the clubs hand to sell him on the cheap, and if he doesn't get his way I reckon he could be this year's Payet...sulking and on strike because we have treated him so unfairly...by paying him £100k a week or more and giving him a massive new contract last year. He is no hero in my eyes for "being loyal" last year, it suited him to stay and play CL football with a massive new contract, he's not going to be in demand as much as he thinks, and when he's not he will blame the club!

Let him rot on the bench unless the club get what they want, last year's Mahrez is no real loss.

??

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

All hypothetical, I know, but if we now don't sell Mahrez would you still be happy to see him performing week-in, week-out in a City shirt.

The player has been honest and publically stated he wants out. Which I commend him for. It's in the open and there's no confusion.

Opinions please.

Depends on his attitude, commitment and effect.

Some players would give their best whatever, others would sulk and some might just go through the motions.

I'd hope he'd give his best, people would at least respect that. And he might, just might recognise that he's pretty well off here and there's not a million clubs out there itching to risk millions on signing him.

He's said he want Champions  League football and we've suggested we want Champions League standard of payment for his ability.

I understand that and expect him to do the same given that he was happy enough to sign a long contract which rewarded him on that kind of level.

I'd be happy to see him stay. He's signed a contract, if there is no release clause or a clause that says he can go whenever he feels like it, then he should honour that contract, just as much as we would be stuck with him if we wanted to get rid of him and he refused to leave and see out his highly paid contract.....ahhh if only contracts worked like that. Maybe needs to get a better agent, I can't believe I'm writing this...but Rudkin got it right with his contract.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Opinions please.

YES !! But would Riyad??

His statement means one of two things: Either he is drumming up interest, or an interested club is nowhere near the evaluation.

But after the grief over selling Kante "so cheap" (even though he has a release clause), they are not going to let him go for money that would only buy you two Jeff Schlupps.

Mahrez knows this, and I think he was very careful not to burn any bridges with the club or the fans in what he said. He knows he might be here next season, and if he is, he's going to have to have the season of his life to get the transfer he wants.

Archived