Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2017/18 U23s, Development, U19s etc

Thomas and Eppiah good, Choudhury promising but seems to lack a little concentration at times.

Of the first teamers only Nacho looked a class above. Iborra tidy enough but unspectacular, Jakupovic and Huth comfortable but rarely threatened, Benny was looking good until his error and was poor thereafter I thought.

I thought it was a lot slower paced and a lot less physical than I remember Family Night Football being back in the 90s. Might be me. I'm not sure how much more useful than a training game it could be for getting people up to speed.

Iborra stood out because he's clearly a footballer and a fair few out there weren't. Josh Gordon was an example of someone who looked a light year away, as it stands, though that could change. Iborra was well off the pace defensively, though. I suppose that could be down to how much he was willing to stretch himself.

Thomas seems to have a problem judging the distance of his delivery. He did well but his crossing looked oddly amateurish at times.

Iheanacho did well, but if his toe's hurting him as much as it appears to be you're best off sticking a camera in there (if you can do that with toes) or giving him 2-3 weeks recovery time. Go with Okazaki / Slim or 4-2-3-1 (if we have the personnel) and get him to hit the ground running. If there's a player lurking deep within Musa, now might be the moment. Don't manage the injury like we did with Drinky last year and have him perpetually off colour. Of course, it might just be one of those things that he has to work through over time.

It was interesting that we seemed to sit on the three goal lead and struggled to do so. We actually changed shape substantially when we went three up. It's interesting for two reasons - (1) that the first team CB pairing of the end of last season couldn't keep out a bunch of kids (yes, I know Huth won't be flexing his muscles in a work-out like this, but even so) and (2) that u-23 and u-18 game plans and formations usually mirror first team plans, so I hope it isn't a club-wide approach that we get into promising positions in games and then stand off. Because we don't have the players for it, it seems.

Oh, and Eppiah and Knight showed a bit of promise. Wood did fine too, without ever really excelling. Hamza was an odd one. Played a key role for us without ever really looking like a guy who'd come close to making the step-up.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

If he doesnt shit his pants when he gets the ball, he should go straight into the team.

I've not seen much in any of his appearances to suggest he's going to make a big difference to the team. Plenty of time for that to change though.

Hopefully will at least give us the option of three in the middle and him sitting though, because if we play him in a two people will soon start slating him.