Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2017/18 U23s, Development, U19s etc

• 2 weeks later...

The Leicester City 'grandfather' to the stars of the future

The influential figure who has spent the last 14 years at Belvoir Drive looking after the youngsters

1COMMENT

By

Rob TannerFootball Writer

07:00, 11 NOV 2017

SPORT

Leicester City's development coach Trevor Peake (Photo by Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images)

To the young aspiring players within Leicester City’s academy, their coaches can become father figures.

However, under-18s head coach Trevor Peake thinks he is looked upon as a grandfather figure.

The 60-year-old has been an influential figure at Belvoir Drive for the past 14 years and has aided the emergence of some of City’s future stars, such as Andy King, Ben Chilwell, Liam Moore and Jeff Schlupp, as well as players who have gone on to forge careers away from Leicester.

Peake has also seen the development and growth of City’s academy system into one of the best in the country with category one status.

However, while City now have the scope to recruit young talent from around the world, Peake says finding the best local talent and nurturing them will always be at the core of the academy.

“When I first joined the club the budget was less and it was a cheaper option to make sure you didn’t miss anyone local who could play at the level we were at,” said Peake.

Ben Chilwell in his early days as a Leicester City youngster. (Photo by Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images)

“So it was a money-saving exercise as well, but now we have the best of both worlds where we can go out and buy a player, not on the Man City level, but a bit of money to bring players in.

“Hats off to our recruitment because they have found so many potential Championship and Premier league players over the past few years. They are doing their jobs well.

“Times have changed and academies have changed all over the country. It is more streamlined and we widen our outlook to players coming in, although we still have a strong base of Leicester lads coming in who have served us well over the years.

“The facilities are better and more attractive to the younger lads.

“I think a couple or three years ago, perhaps the under-21s as they were then, would bring in players who had been released by other clubs, possibly for financial reasons, in the hope they would mature later.

Jeff Schlupp during his early Leicester City days. (Photo by Michael Steele/Getty Images)

“We have tried to get away from that now, and that has given the pathway more width for trying our own lads.

“I don’t think we should be scared to try our own lads. We get great backing for that final step.

“During in the last few international breaks, some of our under-18s are training with the remaining first-team players. It gives the players a taste of the arena they want to be in for the rest of their lives.”

Peake says he takes great satisfaction in not just seeing the boys develop as players, but also become men.

“It is a challenging change for some of them,” he said.

“They are 16, 17 and 18 years old and they are maturing in different ways. They probably see me as a grandfather figure more than a father figure.

“We get a lot of help at the digs. Some of the local boys choose to be in the digs so they can realise and concentrate on the football and not be spoiled by their mums and dads, which is natural for the parents to do.

Andy King is his early days at Leicester City

“It is a proud feeing. Once they have gone on after under-18, I don’t have so much to do with them then and Steve Beaglehole will put the final touches on the those players, and he teaches them what the game is really about.

“We get them near as we can to how they are going to have to be and give them the skills for those situations. Steve gives them that reality of winning football.”

City are currently second in the southern section of the Premier League under-18s behind reigning champions Chelsea, and Peake admits it is a balancing act between player development and getting results.

“We try to marry and Jon (Rudkin, director of football) is keen to point out that if you are getting players pushed up, then he wants to know why the results aren’t so good.

“But if the results are good, he says that is okay but where is the next player coming from, so it is a balance.

“He wants the best of both worlds and we do too. It is about a winning mentality when they get to this age because winning is important.

“We try to put over to the lads that they should be focused on that. Their individual performance will dictate where their pathway goes. They are doing fine as a team. Their start has exceeded what I thought.

“I am sure they want to see results with players coming through, as we all do. Hopefully we are doing as much as we can. We would like more players through and into that first team set-up. But it is a high bar.”

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Portsmouth have dominated. Couple of nice passes from Josh Gordon but nothing to write home about.

Yep, only been watching for about quarter of an hour but we could have conceded 3 or 4 in that time, had maybe one attempt of our own of note.

5 minutes ago, brucey said:

The commentators are saying that many of the main U23 players are missing because they are with the first team? But isn't the first team on a few days off at the moment?

They mentioned Choudry and another whose name I didn't catch. Good for them if they make the squad but who will be dropping out?

I wonder if Choudry could play RB if needed?

Mine keeps crashing. 60mbs and my internet is still shite.

Casting this and it's crap, likewise my firestick is next to useless and keeps  freezing. I'm not sure why I'm paying so much for it.

Sorry for the off topic moan.