Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grantham Fox

European Football 17/18

54 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Can only see this ending well 

See all that vociferous claiming of a penalty when Marc Albrighton fouled him a yard outside the box?

Well, reap the karmic wind, Greaseman.

lol

(Yes, I will carry the resentment to the end of my days)

Regardless of the absence of any intent to offend, it’s pretty brainless, isn’t it?

• Like 2

Cracking finish to the Las Palmas v Espanyol game. Espanyol 0-2 up with 78 on the clock, Las Palmas then pull it back to 2-2, hit the bar before getting a 95th minute penalty, only for Viera the captain to take a pathetic spot kick that's easily saved.

On 21/12/2017 at 20:08, Costock_Fox said:

Has anyone even been to watch hertha Berlin? Looking at a match in March and presumably it’s easy enough to get tickets for them.

Yeah very easy to get tickets. They only sell out vs BVB. Stadium is vast and has a great feeling but in terms of atmosphere it is low down in the Bundesliga. I'd personally try and get to Union if you can, way better experience.

7 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Yeah very easy to get tickets. They only sell out vs BVB. Stadium is vast and has a great feeling but in terms of atmosphere it is low down in the Bundesliga. I'd personally try and get to Union if you can, way better experience.

Good tip cheers. I did think that, I think the mates who I am going with really fancy the stadium more than the match day experience however one of the lads is a paramedic and getting leave is shite for him so recon we will have to go with this.

Really fancies a trip to Bilbao if I’m honest, looks a cracking city and stadium looks decent.

• 3 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43791511

Mainz awarded penalty by VAR after teams had left the field for half time!

Also, protest by fans about Bundesliga games being played on Monday nights

Referee Guido Winkmann calls Mainz and Freiburg players back onto the pitch at half-time
Referee Guido Winkmann had to call back both sets of players while the sprinklers were on for half-time

A penalty was awarded after players had already left the pitch for half-time in Mainz's Bundesliga win over relegation rivals Freiburg on Monday.

Referee Guido Winkmann called both sides back from the dressing room after consulting the video assistant referee (VAR) system and penalising Freiburg for handball.

Mainz midfielder Pablo de Blasis scored the penalty to put the hosts 1-0 up.

"It leaves a bitter taste," Freiburg sporting director Jochen Saier said.

Speaking to Eurosport at half-time, he added that they had to "accept it with a heavy heart".

"We were under the impression that when the referee blows for half-time that's it," said Saier.

The second half was delayed by fans throwing toilet paper onto the pitch, which was not related to the penalty decision but instead a protest against Bundesliga fixtures being played on Monday nights.

De Blasis scored a second on 78 minutes to secure victory, taking Mainz above Freiburg on goal difference and eight points clear of automatic relegation, while putting the visitors into the relegation play-off spot in 16th.

Mainz initially had the penalty appeal turned down after right-back Daniel Brosinski's cross deflected off Freiburg centre-back Marc-Oliver Kempf's hand and was saved by keeper Alexander Schwolow.

As the players departed the pitch, Winkmann was told to consult VAR and ran over to the other side of the pitch to watch the replay on a monitor.

Winkmann overturned the decision and awarded the hosts a penalty before having to recall the entire Freiburg side and the handful of Mainz players who had left the pitch.

Following a delay of over six minutes De Blasis scored the penalty in the bottom left corner and Winkmann blew again for half-time, during which the unfortunate Kempf was substituted.

De Blasis added a lucky second as his shot rolled over the line after hitting the inside of the post, with Schwolow out of his goal having passed the ball straight to Mainz midfielder Robin Quaison.

image.gif.0015c7235b75195fb24f17d1a0d88bff.gif
The second half was delayed by fans throwing toilet roll on the pitch in protest against Monday night games

Analysis

European football writer Andy Brassell on BBC Radio 5 live

Potentially one of the most vital goals in the fight at the bottom, but a new low for VAR.

The ref maybe shouldn't have sent them off as quickly, it depends on how quickly VAR contacted him.

The problem is not the technology, it is the process. I can't understand why referees are involved in the decision-making process at all, if it is to be used for clear and obvious errors, surely the VAR has to tell the referee what the decision is.

In this case you've got a couple thousand fans off to the bar and they come back thinking it is 0-0.

I still think the penalty is debatable.

The protest from Bundesliga fans about Monday evening matches has been going on for a while now, to be honest (since mid-February).

The German football league claims it would help Bundesliga teams in European action on a Wednesday/Thursday and Sunday ought to be the day reserved for amateur football. lol

Tell that to Frankfurt, Leipzig, Dortmund, Augsburg or Bremen fans, who all have also spoken out against the decision.

Historically, Monday evening football was unique to the 2. Bundesliga and seen as an insult to all relegation-threatened clubs.

I mean, who wants to travel to different parts of the country on a regular working day? Takes a lot more time and effort calling in sick when your team is playing.