Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

46 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Bit patronising to our greatest ever captain. If he is surplus to requirements here and it's a big if he's been superb this year. Wes could easily play for another prem side for a year or two.

images.jpeg.5dd1bdfef3d91e12bade0cbc7723c216.jpeg

You wot?????

• Like 3

19 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Bit patronising to our greatest ever captain. If he is surplus to requirements here and it's a big if he's been superb this year. Wes could easily play for another prem side for a year or two.

Not patronising... He's had a whole lot of serious  injuries to deal with.... nothing to do with his legs going or age...

Edited by MPH

18 hours ago, murphy said:

images.jpeg.5dd1bdfef3d91e12bade0cbc7723c216.jpeg

You wot?????

In fairness, Walsh has never captained a premier league winning side..

But let's leave that there as thats a whole new discussion that could take this thread wildly off course... lol

5 hours ago, MPH said:

In fairness, Walsh has never captained a premier league winning side..

So does that make Schlupp one of our 2 best wingers ever? Or Kasper our greatest goalkeeper.

I'm getting tired of people using "he won the prem title" as a reason for players to be great.

25 minutes ago, FIF said:

So does that make Schlupp one of our 2 best wingers ever? Or Kasper our greatest goalkeeper.

I'm getting tired of people using "he won the prem title" as a reason for players to be great.

It all depends on how you define great doesn't it? and in fairness you seem to have mistook my flippant remark about him being captain.... it clearly wasnt just about wearing the armband for Wes.. he was a monster that season.

And are you really comparing role of the ever present captain to a bit part winger?

Edited by MPH

40 minutes ago, murphy said:

But that's not the criteria for being a great captain although he did captain us to two play off wins and two league cup wins.

Walsh also never played with Kante, Vardy, Mahrez etc.  He played with Willis, Carey and Ormondroyd.

He was the heart and soul of the club.  A warrior and leader.  He scored goals and single-handedly dragged us into the prem with those two goals against Derby.  

14 years service, 53 goals and 11 red cards.  Legend!

oh come on, thats stretching it too far and is a bit insulting to the other 10 players on the pitch...

On 21/02/2018 at 09:53, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Gwon our Nige! Not doing as well as might be expected but not a disaster either. He'll pull it out the bag given time

Pearson doesn't usually start well. I'll be having money on them to be promoted next season.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MPH said:

oh come on, thats stretching it too far and is a bit insulting to the other 10 players on the pitch...

It is stretching it, especially when he was injured AGAIN that year. But he scored something like 7 in 13 games, the bloke was absolutely unreal for us.

As hads Wes without question, but where as Wes has just got on with the job and done a sterling job. Walshy always seemed to drag us though, be involved in everything. Be controversial, have the injuries and battle back, convert to a striker. You had so many more stories and things going on around him. I think that's what adds to the legend of the bloke and why he'll still probably stick in some peoples minds more than Wes.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It is stretching it, especially when he was injured AGAIN that year. But he scored something like 7 in 13 games, the bloke was absolutely unreal for us.

As hads Wes without question, but where as Wes has just got on with the job and done a sterling job. Walshy always seemed to drag us though, be involved in everything. Be controversial, have the injuries and battle back, convert to a striker. You had so many more stories and things going on around him. I think that's what adds to the legend of the bloke and why he'll still probably stick in some peoples minds more than Wes.

I grew up absolutely loving Walsh. He was probably everything a young footy fan liked in a player playing for his favourite club!

Had a couple of strong sources tell me of a few of his antics off the pitch at the time... Probably best left in the past.. haha

• Like 1

On 21/02/2018 at 12:11, Foxxed said:

You'd abandon big Nige because he stands on foreign soil? I'd follow him to the moon, my friend. Lunar FC, vying for promotion against a make-shift team of abandoned space probes.

I'd still give him a season to consolidate and then he builds from there. He'd eventually take Lunar FC to the Universe Super League after beating Sporting Callisto over two legs in the play-offs.

• Haha 1

On 21.2.2018 at 14:01, MPH said:

It would be an interesting Semi-retirement project for Morgan next year....

I'm also wondering whether OH Leuven will take on some of our senior players next season, say Fuchs (although likely off to the US in the summer), Morgan, Huth (out of contract in the summer), King, Ulloa or even Jakupovic (33) or whether we'll be able to send more youngsters to Belgium on loan.

Are regular transfers from LCFC to Leuven allowed?

In any case, it's going to make for an interesting new season in 2018/2019.

18 hours ago, Ashley said:

20 Leuven lads coming over today for tomorrow's game off their own back. 

Oh the joys. Don't we have the wasyl brigade and some bochum over this weekend as well. With the amount of tickets going spare in the sales thread it's a good job someone is making the effort to go to the game.

On 3/2/2018 at 11:04, Countryfox said:

Wow that’s a surprise ! ...   is he going through a rebuilding phase or is it just plain bad management ? ...    do you really want him gone asap ...    or give him a bit longer ? ...    is that the general consensus ?     And thanks for letting me know ...   :thumbup:

Well, it's not good management, i can tell you that. The quality of play is worse (lots) than it was with the previous manager. The general concesus is, also among people of the press, that he doesn't bring any added value to the table.

On 21/2/2018 at 13:18, FIF said:

I don't get that people expected Leuven to be promoted this season. Nige wasn't even in at the beginning and KP are only just setting things up. Those posts I read saying that NP has failed are annoying and inaccurate.

We have to qualify first.

Why wouldn't people expect the club with the biggest budget to get promoted? You clearly do not know the league. There are only 8 teams playing in it, and the two clubs that will battle it out, one of them is in a similar situation as Leuven, being sold last summer to the owner of Monaco, after a disasterous season last year, and they also had to rebuild from scratch. And the other team just got promoted from the amateur league.

On 21/2/2018 at 15:03, lgfualol said:

Weren't Leuven winning games like 8 nil before Nigel came in

Yes. 8-1 and 8-0

On 24/2/2018 at 10:32, MC Prussian said:

Also: Good luck to Leuven for the Europa League race!

(As abstract as that may sound)

Just to be clear, there is nobody in all of Belgium that actually believes Leuven, or any other team from the second division, will ever make it. This is just a joke competition to prolong the ridiculously short competitions in our leagues (28 for second and 30 matches for first division). They have to win their "bracket". Ok, this is possible, because basically nobody, even teams from first division except those with the budget to actually play in Europe without ending up with a financial hangover, take this seriously. But then they have to win from the other team that won their bracket. This will likely be one of the big first division teams that missed out on the top 6 "battle for the league". Like Standard, Zulte Waregem... And even, if by some divine stroke of luck, they were to win that battle (home/away), they'd then have to battle one of the best teams of the country. Likely Gent or Genk.

On 24/2/2018 at 10:31, MC Prussian said:

I'm also wondering whether OH Leuven will take on some of our senior players next season, say Fuchs (although likely off to the US in the summer), Morgan, Huth (out of contract in the summer), King, Ulloa or even Jakupovic (33) or whether we'll be able to send more youngsters to Belgium on loan.

Are regular transfers from LCFC to Leuven allowed?

In any case, it's going to make for an interesting new season in 2018/2019.

I don't see why not. Plenty of owners with more than one team do transfers between those teams.

• Like 1

On 22/02/2018 at 18:48, murphy said:

But that's not the criteria for being a great captain although he did captain us to two play off wins and two league cup wins.

Walsh also never played with Kante, Vardy, Mahrez etc.  He played with Willis, Carey and Ormondroyd.

He was the heart and soul of the club.  A warrior and leader.  He scored goals and single-handedly dragged us into the prem with those two goals against Derby.  

14 years service, 53 goals and 11 red cards.  Legend!

Good post.......but im really not so sure that '11 Red cards'  automatically qualifies a player for legend status.  Im pretty sure that even s*** players get red cards.  :)

3 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Good post.......but im really not so sure that '11 Red cards'  automatically qualifies a player for legend status.  Im pretty sure that even s*** players get red cards.  :)

I know, that last bit was a little tongue in cheek but it does add a little to his granite-like warrior image.  It is good to have an enforcer in your team even if Walshy took it too far some times. 

I think the 11 reds is a joint league record.  I know I shouldn't be proud of that, but for some reason I secretly am.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, murphy said:

I know, that last bit was a little tongue in cheek but it does add a little to his granite-like warrior image.  It is good to have an enforcer in your team even if Walshy took it too far some times. 

I think the 11 reds is a joint league record.  I know I shouldn't be proud of that, but for some reason I secretly am.

Your secret may be out of the bag...lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The extra playoff rounds and thus the chase after a Europa League spot will see the following (provisional) fixtures for OH Leuven this spring:

SUN 01/04 (7pm GMT): Zulte Waregem (a)

SAT 07/04 (7pm GMT): Lierse SK (h)

SAT 14/04 (7pm GMT): Waasland-Beveren (a)

TUE 17/04 (7.30pm GMT): KV Kortrijk (a)

SAT 21/04 (5pm GMT): Royal Mouscron (h)

SAT 28/04 (7pm GMT): Waasland-Beveren (h)

SAT 05/05 (7pm GMT): Lierse SK (a)

TUE 08/05 (7.30pm GMT): KV Kortrijk (h)

FRI 11/05 (7.30pm GMT): Zulte Waregem (h)

FRI 18/05 (7.30pm GMT): Royal Mouscron (a)