Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

The OH Leuven Thread

On 7/10/2017 at 06:04, leuven said:

Raul Uche (striker for leicester u23) showed up at training in Leuven this morning. Has anyone seen him play for your U23 team that can give us some more information about this spanish player?

Welcome to the forum, Leuven! I love the city you have there and have extended family from their too, so another connection with Leicester. My uncle celebrated his 50th there and we had a great time, the Stella was flowing! 

Will be interesting to see if any other U23s head your way! 

Unlike @StanSP - I am "leuven" your new kit...

9 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

Welcome to the forum, Leuven! I love the city you have there and have extended family from their too, so another connection with Leicester. My uncle celebrated his 50th there and we had a great time, the Stella was flowing! 

Will be interesting to see if any other U23s head your way! 

Unlike @StanSP - I am "leuven" your new kit...

why have you mentioned me :unsure:?

On 19.6.2017 at 13:39, Swan Lesta said:

DCc8o6IXoAAV7wH.jpg:large

Very tacky, but ok for a first effort. King Power logo dominates massively, the black/green and white/dark red top stripes are awful and the OHL logo integrates badly into the whole appearance. Lots of sponsors, too (at least not as many as in Austria, mind!).

Need to and can do better. 5/10

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

why have you mentioned me :unsure:?

D'oh. I'd had a few beers and just typed @s.. then lost the plot. You are too famous and always on my mind :sweating:, plus I was too lazy to grab the quote from 2 pages back. Sorry it's @Samilktray who said this...

On 6/20/2017 at 07:57, Samilktray said:

Those kits are absolutely garbage lol 

Raul Uche came on in the second half of our friendly against KV Oostende (top 6 in belgian first division last year) and scored his first goal (another one but disallowed). We won 3-1. Was not there so have not seen his goal yet.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, leuven said:

Raul Uche came on in the second half of our friendly against KV Oostende (top 6 in belgian first division last year) and scored his first goal (another one but disallowed). We won 3-1. Was not there so have not seen his goal yet.

He's been used mostly as an impact sub for our U23s and always seemed to do well when he came on. I'm surprised he hasn't managed to become a U23 regular or get a loan in England, although it's probably because we have about 4 other good U23 strikers. Keep us updated on how he gets on :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brucey said:

He's been used mostly as an impact sub for our U23s and always seemed to do well when he came on. I'm surprised he hasn't managed to become a U23 regular or get a loan in England, although it's probably because we have about 4 other good U23 strikers. Keep us updated on how he gets on :)

Ok I will, in about a week we will know if the coaching staff decides to keep him around for the season or not.

• Like 1

Most supporters are becoming a bit worried. In spite of the increased budget due to the takeover, the incoming transfers thus far have not been really inspiring:

* Julien Gorius, 33, French midfielder. Played over 200 matches in Div 1 in Belgium for Mechelen and Genk between 2008 and 2016 before moving to China where he spent most of his time on the bench. Released near the end of 2016 and without a club since.

* Derrick Tshimanga, 28, Belgian left wingback. 1 time international in 2011, more than 150 matches in Div 1 for Lokeren and Genk between 2008 and 2016. Spent last season at Willem II but suffered from stomach problems towards the end of the season and was therefore released. Will not be available for the beginning of the season, currently training separately from the group.

* Dimitri Daeseleire, 27, Belgian right wingback. Got injured in the second half of the 2015-16 season playing for Antwerp in the second division and did not succeed to get back in the team during the 2016-17 season. Hasn't played a single minute for about 1.5 years.

* Kenneth Schuermans, 26, Belgian central defender. Tall (1m94/6ft 4.5in) and good header. Mocked last season for scoring a silly owngoal and appearing clumsy. Obtained for free from relegated Westerlo. 

* Geert Berben, 24, Belgian midfielder. Another one picked up for free or nearly nothing as his team (Lommel United) relegated.

* Mathieu Maertens, 22, Belgian midfielder. Coming from Cercle Brugge who are renewing there whole team as they signed a partnership with Monaco and have already 18 (!) new incoming transfers. 

* Nikola Storm, 22, Belgian winger. Fast, aggressive... but arrives just on loan from Club Brugge. Was in fact already on loan the previous season and the deal was extended.

...that leaves French players Yannick Aguemon (25, winger/striker from Union SG) and Clément Fabre (28, defender from Tubize), also not big names. If the budget has gone up, we're not seeing it...

1 hour ago, Pelotas said:

Most supporters are becoming a bit worried. In spite of the increased budget due to the takeover, the incoming transfers thus far have not been really inspiring:

* Julien Gorius, 33, French midfielder. Played over 200 matches in Div 1 in Belgium for Mechelen and Genk between 2008 and 2016 before moving to China where he spent most of his time on the bench. Released near the end of 2016 and without a club since.

* Derrick Tshimanga, 28, Belgian left wingback. 1 time international in 2011, more than 150 matches in Div 1 for Lokeren and Genk between 2008 and 2016. Spent last season at Willem II but suffered from stomach problems towards the end of the season and was therefore released. Will not be available for the beginning of the season, currently training separately from the group.

* Dimitri Daeseleire, 27, Belgian right wingback. Got injured in the second half of the 2015-16 season playing for Antwerp in the second division and did not succeed to get back in the team during the 2016-17 season. Hasn't played a single minute for about 1.5 years.

* Kenneth Schuermans, 26, Belgian central defender. Tall (1m94/6ft 4.5in) and good header. Mocked last season for scoring a silly owngoal and appearing clumsy. Obtained for free from relegated Westerlo. 

* Geert Berben, 24, Belgian midfielder. Another one picked up for free or nearly nothing as his team (Lommel United) relegated.

* Mathieu Maertens, 22, Belgian midfielder. Coming from Cercle Brugge who are renewing there whole team as they signed a partnership with Monaco and have already 18 (!) new incoming transfers. 

* Nikola Storm, 22, Belgian winger. Fast, aggressive... but arrives just on loan from Club Brugge. Was in fact already on loan the previous season and the deal was extended.

...that leaves French players Yannick Aguemon (25, winger/striker from Union SG) and Clément Fabre (28, defender from Tubize), also not big names. If the budget has gone up, we're not seeing it...

Show King Power some respect!!!!

2 hours ago, Pelotas said:

Who is in charge of the transfers? I didn't think we brought in any scouting/recruitment staff?

38 minutes ago, brucey said:

Who is in charge of the transfers? I didn't think we brought in any scouting/recruitment staff?

Local guy. He's being criticised strongly on the OHL forum. Guessing many supps are hoping our new owners step in to bring in some new names, players or staff. 

2 hours ago, Pelotas said:

I don't see how you can slate the owners for bringing in a lot of free transfers and experienced players with that, plus a couple of promising younger lads.

Just because some of these names seem uninspiring or have failed to convince in the past doesn't mean they can't gel and create something extraordinary at Leuven.

You're overly critical. For a Belgian club that has hardly ever set the world alight, what were you expecting?

On 15-7-2017 at 22:45, brucey said:

I saw Uche play for the first time on Friday, again used as a sub. Played the entire second half, but hard to rate his performance because all the substitutions. He had to play with the majority of the development squad. However I don't think we will be able to use him in a system with a single striker. He'd do better next to a big strong forward.

• Like 1

Yeah @leuven, don't worry about the first season. I know that's hard to stomach as a fan, but we signed a lot of players 'with experience of the league', similarly to what I'm reading above. If you have an average season, it'll annoy the Thais and they'll look at swift change. That's what they've always done with us.

Looks like you need a better scouting team. 

31 minutes ago, Wookie said:

That's a bit disrespectful and it's similar to the tone of what people were saying when Ranieri was sacked.

They're signing players that haven't played for years so I think the OHL fans have every right to be aggrieved, maybe not with the owners but the head of recruitment at least.

However, when the Thais first arrived here @leuven we overspent on average players and it left us worse off than before so maybe gradually you will have an increased budget.

I don't see how it is in any way disrespectful. OH Leuven have never been a title-winning or cup-chasing side, they're one of many rather bland "grey mice" in Belgian football. They remind me of VfL Bochum a lot.

The recent transfer dealings come across as level-headed and cautious. Clearly, they don't want to overspend. Besides, there's only one or two that haven't played regular football in a while, I don't see that as something negative. I'd be more critical if the signings failed to live up to expectations as the season progresses. It's way too early to judge the transfers!

When you look at what the owners have done with the new pitch for instance, it's fair to say they're eager to improve the club as a whole. It's imperative that the players feel "at home" and appreciated and the new pitch is one of many actions that are of great assistance.

These appear to be baby steps, but steps in the right direction. The only things you can ask of the fans is patience and belief. After all, it took them several years to push LCFC to the top of English football. Time permitted, something similar can happen at Leuven.

5 hours ago, Pelotas said:

Our recruitment sheet would have looked not too dissimilar to the, respectively speaking. We did alright.

From what you described about each player, looks like they need another chance, and may just have a point to prove. 

Our owners made the mistake of letting Pearson go - the first time that is. Yes Mandaric was technically still chairman. They brought in Paulo Sousa who wanted to completely change the identity of the team and we struggled massively. Then they went balls out, brought Sven in - and a ton of new, relatively big name players (Yakubu, Gelson Fernandes, Darius Vassell, Michael Johnson, etc.) - and that didn't work out too well either.

Our owners have learnt a lot from being owners of a football club and they're bringing that knowledge with them to Leuven.

The key is stability when new owners come in. Fans might want tons of new signings and money pumping into the club straight away but that could result in catastrophic failure and a lot of money spent in the process.

It sounds like the owners will consolidate the club's position this season and in a year's time you might start to see a bit more of an ambitious approach.

It took 6 years of their ownership for us to go from around mid-table in the second tier to top tier champions, which might sound like a long time but is a meteoric rise in reality.

Leuven will be fine. And if you win the top division in 6 years time ahead of the likes of Club Brugge and Standard Liege, you'll be as deliriously happy with them as we are.

4 hours ago, Pelotas said:

Local guy. He's being criticised strongly on the OHL forum. Guessing many supps are hoping our new owners step in to bring in some new names, players or staff. 

Worth mentioning that we won the championship and survived in the premier league with players we signed that were "nobodies" in large. 

Wes Morgan - Average lower 2nd division defender

Danny drinkwater - A Nobody from utd reserves

De Laet - A Nobody from utd reserves

Gary Taylor Fletcher - An overweight player with a great brain (left after promotion) 

Matty James  - A Nobody from utd reserves

Lloyd Dyer - Playing in the 3rd division (Left after promotion)

Jamie Vardy - Signed from the 5th division

We had a mix of old a young, none of whom were ever considered top players in that league, yet we trounced the league. 

Have faith, the owners will come through, we've trusted them blindly for years, and so far they've made many more good decisions than bad, they are in it for the long haul I'd think :)

They are giving the current director of football a chance to prove himself, if he won't perform well I'm sure the new owners will make the right decisions. We must not forget that the deal to buy our club was reached not so long ago, so they are still learning at the moment about the ins and outs of the belgian second division. Dirk Degraen, who helped bring Ndidi from Genk to leicester, is also giving some advice to the current staff.

We can't become to anxious, it will take a bit of time to turn the club around. First step is to get back to first division in 2-3 years. If it happens in the first year, great. If not, no reason to panic. We will get better each year as lessons are learned.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, leuven said:

They are giving the current director of football a chance to prove himself, if he won't perform well I'm sure the new owners will make the right decisions. We must not forget that the deal to buy our club was reached not so long ago, so they are still learning at the moment about the ins and outs of the belgian second division. Dirk Degraen, who helped bring Ndidi from Genk to leicester, is also giving some advice to the current staff.

We can't become to anxious, it will take a bit of time to turn the club around. First step is to get back to first division in 2-3 years. If it happens in the first year, great. If not, no reason to panic. We will get better each year as lessons are learned.

'Directors of Football' enjoy a charmed life under 'our' Owners.  So do not expect yours to be binned 'quickly'!