Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

U21 Euros

3 minutes ago, Great Boos Up said:

We practiced penos and the Germans said they didn't need to. FFS what are we doing wrong.

Was a pretty poor shootout from both, I think that about any that don't make it past 5 each.  We just happened to miss our last. Tammys was terrible though.

to be honest the negativity at 2-1 is why we lost, absolutely shocking, DG and Chilly must have thought it was early last season again! 

4 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Must say chilwells energy levels are fantastic, he's made multiple runs forward from left back in extra time

And yet, this game has not given me a shred of proof that Chilwell is actually a competent defender at PL level.

I like him going forward, even though his effect is still not that great most of the time.

But Toljan was toying with him all game.

Germany should've put that game to be much, much earlier and the chance they fashioned at the end of ET left Chilwell with egg on his face. Granted, he must've been absolutely shattered by then, but Toljan looked sharp despite having two days less rest and playing the same amount of time as Chilwell did.

He doesn't look assertive in the tackle, he doesn't read his opponents well and he looks weak in the air. Weaknesses I consider to be serious in a full back position.

I do think he's had a decent tournament going forward and maybe he'll develop more into a wide midfielder Albrighton-type than an actual fullback or wingback.

1 hour ago, shen said:

And yet, this game has not given me a shred of proof that Chilwell is actually a competent defender at PL level.

I like him going forward, even though his effect is still not that great most of the time.

But Toljan was toying with him all game.

Germany should've put that game to be much, much earlier and the chance they fashioned at the end of ET left Chilwell with egg on his face. Granted, he must've been absolutely shattered by then, but Toljan looked sharp despite having two days less rest and playing the same amount of time as Chilwell did.

He doesn't look assertive in the tackle, he doesn't read his opponents well and he looks weak in the air. Weaknesses I consider to be serious in a full back position.

I do think he's had a decent tournament going forward and maybe he'll develop more into a wide midfielder Albrighton-type than an actual fullback or wingback.

And pretty much why I suggested getting in a player like George Friend to LCFC. Chilwell is going to feature more this season for us, but I'm not convinced about him at LB.

From what I saw (extra time) that was garbage. We looked knackered after two days more break, very negative tactics (how is Boothroyd qualified for this job?) and this is against a Germany side who've sent the majority of their U21's to the Confederations.

Practicing penalties is a waste of time. It's largely about mentality.

We are so far behind the top sides it's astounding. We're nearer to Norway or Sweden than Germany or Spain.

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

From what I saw (extra time) that was garbage. We looked knackered after two days more break, very negative tactics (how is Boothroyd qualified for this job?) and this is against a Germany side who've sent the majority of their U21's to the Confederations.

We are so far behind the top sides it's astounding. We're nearer to Norway or Sweden than Germany or Spain.

tbf we were pretty decent during the first half, we could have been out of sight within the first 30mins,but headers from Chalobah and Abraham went over or straight at the keeper and DG had a good chance too, 

but it was same old same old, when we got the 2nd we kinda sat back and from then you could see Germany would get a goal and probably win it as we didnt look to have a plan B and no out ball since TA kept losing the ball whenever it was kicked up to him, 

tbh though we never stood a chance this tournament; if we'd have got through Spain would have had a field day

There's no excuse for poor penalties. Or poor/negative tactics. As for Chilwell and Gray would they have rated more than 6.5 each for the tournament overall, and that's at under21 level?  Both have much to improve on and the sooner they make those improvements the better.

At least it's given them a good learning experience so they can get used to the inevitable failure when they lose on penalties for the senior side. It's all part of their professional development. Well done to the coaching team for giving them this opportunity to progress with their footballing education.

Guest MattP
9 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's not, but we just do it the wrong way, instead of practising for the event we practice the art of taking it. What do need to do is practice the same penalty a hundred times, pick where you are hitting it and do it 100 times, then you know exactly what you are going to do. Instead our players sit there taking penalties for an hour and hit about 25 different ones lol , if anything it probably leaves them more confused about what to do than when they started.

I bet we had players last night walking to the spot still making their mind up as to where they were going to put it, they have should have known before the tournament started.

Although even the most basic football person should know you need to take a run up probably, wtf that Tammy Abraham was doing I have no idea, he was never going to generate any poer off three paces, if he's not lifting it if the keeper goes the right way he'll get it.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

What do need to do is practice the same penalty a hundred times, pick where you are hitting it and do it 100 times, then you know exactly what you are going to do ...

Lets hope the opposition didn't see it or they would know too ! ...   :)

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Although even the most basic football person should know you need to take a run up probably, wtf that Tammy Abraham was doing I have no idea, he was never going to generate any poer off three paces, if he's not lifting it if the keeper goes the right way he'll get it.

Absolutely.  Plus I'm not a fan of players who approach pen's at an angle, I was always told to run straight, plus if you're approaching at an angle and then try for the opposite corner like he did it's difficult to twist your body to generate power and accuracy, awful awful penalty.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived