Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

A New Political Movement or Uprising?

1 minute ago, daz*dsb said:

lol

I see where you're coming from but getting high didn't stop people being politically involved in the 70's! 

The government introducing things like the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 probably didn't help! 

Did youngsters get politically involved in the 70's in this country?  I don't think it was really high on many youngsters agendas, not many people i knew really gave a shit what happened the next morning, let alone the next decade.

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

Did youngsters get politically involved in the 70's in this country?  I don't think it was really high on many youngsters agendas, not many people i knew really gave a shit what happened the next morning, let alone the next decade.

Sorry, I was referring to America. People appeared to be a lot more switched on politically in America in the 70's. 

1 minute ago, daz*dsb said:

Sorry, I was referring to America. People appeared to be a lot more switched on politically in America in the 70's. 

I think that's because of the problems with american society regarding racism, war, corruption and a bunch of hippies from the 60's who didn't want to work.

I would have thought that politics dropped off the radar for two reasons in the 90s - firstly youth votes to the left and there was a longstanding left wing (well okay centre but the most left realistic option) government for the first time in decades. Secondly, pop music etc usually move towards counter-culture but actually you had Oasis going to parties with Blair etc. The conservatives were a mess and not likely to win for years and years and so there was nothing for youth to fight against. Even the introduction of tuition fees and student loans at fairly innocuous levels didn't cause a great fuss. 

Guest MattP

So after calling for a million people on the streets to remove Theresa May and rallying up everyone he's now decided to quickly remind us the night before it needs to be peaceful, well done John. Bravo. You and people like Tommy Robinson, exactly the same side of the coin,

The whole thing is actually quite sickening, McDonnell is on record as saying you can change society by "direct action" and he's already started after managing to turn a defeat at the ballot box into a victory in the eyes of his followers, I think he's sees this as the perfect chance now to try and stage a coup.

This could be a disaster for them as well, many naive Labour voters believe Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell are nice people, it could backfire bigtime, I hope this goes off without trouble, riled up protesters combined with riot outfitted coppers in the 30 degree heat could be a disaster, probably the last thing London needs now.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

So after calling for a million people on the streets to remove Theresa May and rallying up everyone he's now decided to quickly remind us the night before it needs to be peaceful, well done John. Bravo. You and people like Tommy Robinson, exactly the same side of the coin,

The whole thing is actually quite sickening, McDonnell is on record as saying you can change society by "direct action" and he's already started after managing to turn a defeat at the ballot box into a victory in the eyes of his followers, I think he's sees this as the perfect chance now to try and stage a coup.

This could be a disaster for them as well, many naive Labour voters believe Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell are nice people, it could backfire bigtime, I hope this goes off without trouble, riled up protesters combined with riot outfitted coppers in the 30 degree heat could be a disaster, probably the last thing London needs now.

Wtf. Politician reminds protesters to be peaceful and it's sickening? Some of the stuff you spout os beyond idiotic - you're just a brainwashed tory. 

Guest MattP
21 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Wtf. Politician reminds protesters to be peaceful and it's sickening? Some of the stuff you spout os beyond idiotic - you're just a brainwashed tory. 

You've completely missed the point.

Late to this thread, but it's been a good read. 

There's no doubt that Brexit started a mass interest in politics among youngsters. I had the chance to vote in 2015 and was about to vote Conservative before deciding against it and not voting at all. I voted in the referendum and the recent election. 

I voted Labour, but I've become absolutely sick of reading people's biased opinions and shared bullshit Independent "articles" that suit their agenda and continue to follow their party like a football team. All I see is two characters now on complete opposite ends of the scale that just mud-sling at every opportunity. I'm 23 and have definitely gained a political interest in the last 5 years, but since Brexit I've become a bit disenchanted with all the whining, pointless petitions and the ill-informed lecturing. This works both ways of course. I like Corbyn, and he's obviously not without his faults. In fact, he gets on my nerves at times, but the outrageous smear campaign actually made me want to vote for him more. 

In short, everyone should ****ing chill out and let people vote for who they want. 

Guest Foxin_mad
On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 18:29, toddybad said:

Even the introduction of tuition fees and student loans at fairly innocuous levels didn't cause a great fuss. 

The introduction of tuition fees was a disgrace back then, it should have caused a fuss! I can tell you now that pre 2000 in was not an 'innocuous level' (4k per year) if that is the case given 17 years of inflation and the fact the payback threshold has been moved upwards its now more 'innocuous' but of course that does not suit certain agendas!

I had to start paying this loan back when I earned £15000 stacking shelves in a gap year! not when I got a proper job!

I think it was a different time, Blair was basically a Tory, Brown acted like a Tory Chancellor at first then they slowly began to roll out tax, spend and deficits 2002 onwards and screwed us up for generations. Social Media was not around and the media wasn't spouting as much crap as now. The young voters of today were brought up during the boom years of the 2000s initially, the world got walloped in 2008 but we didn't save for the bad times and they have then in recent years had to watch the fixing of the deficit. What they don't realise is that one day when we are not spending £45 billion on Interest payments each year, we can spend that on other things consistently! Had Labour been in power after 2010 I think this country would be in a very bad way, almost Greece like except we would be cap in hand to the IMF.

18 minutes ago, Foxin_mad said:

The introduction of tuition fees was a disgrace back then, it should have caused a fuss! I can tell you now that pre 2000 in was not an 'innocuous level' (4k per year) if that is the case given 17 years of inflation and the fact the payback threshold has been moved upwards its now more 'innocuous' but of course that does not suit certain agendas!

I had to start paying this loan back when I earned £15000 stacking shelves in a gap year! not when I got a proper job!

I think it was a different time, Blair was basically a Tory, Brown acted like a Tory Chancellor at first then they slowly began to roll out tax, spend and deficits 2002 onwards and screwed us up for generations. Social Media was not around and the media wasn't spouting as much crap as now. The young voters of today were brought up during the boom years of the 2000s initially, the world got walloped in 2008 but we didn't save for the bad times and they have then in recent years had to watch the fixing of the deficit. What they don't realise is that one day when we are not spending £45 billion on Interest payments each year, we can spend that on other things consistently! Had Labour been in power after 2010 I think this country would be in a very bad way, almost Greece like except we would be cap in hand to the IMF.

Except that isn't how economics works. Other than yet yeah.....

Interest levels are historically still fairly low. The following graphs are taken from the parliamentary library. The jump in debt was obviously the financial crisis, prior to which our deficit was not that unusual.

Screenshot_20170622-170005.png

Archived