Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The whole world smiles

Riyad Mahrez - The great Artist

Best touch from a LCFC player I've seen but not the most complete player. Ask me in 10 years which player I'd love back and my answer will still be Izzet. 

Mahrez divides fans because he hasn't been consistent. One great season doesn't make him an 'artist'. 

• Like 4

I too will remember Mahrez for his sublime touch and skill which we haven't seen from a Leicester player since Frankie Wortho in the 70's.

He contributed hugely to helping us win the League which none of us realistically thought that we would ever see. Those memories can never be taken away so I will be forever grateful to Riyad and the rest of the 2015/16 squad and management team for giving us that.

Good luck to you Riyad wherever you go next it has been a pleasure to have you playing for us in the greatest ever period for our club.

• Like 2

Whilst it is true that we would not be champions without him, nor would he have his medal without this club and the rest of that team.

He played a huge part in our title year and for that deserves his legend status.  However, last year he played like a player who's mind was elsewhere.  I don't say he was not trying but he was here in body but not in spirit despite his huge contract and for that he has fallen several rungs in my estimation.  Add to that his "I want out" public statement and I for one am happy to see him go provided we get the right fee.

I agree that Mahrez is the most gifted player to ever wear the shirt and when he's on it he is unplayable.  However, when he is not he is a lightweight luxury that I would rather see benched.  Sadly there were too many days like that last year and it is so frustrating when we know what he is capable of.

Anyway, he's going and just like when Kante left, I wish him well but I won't give him a second thought when he's gone.  The Kante cry bables of last year were just embarrassing.

• Like 1

Great player, the best Leicester have ever had, ok he doesn't run around like a headless chicken, he may sometimes lack effort, drift in and out of games, but legendary for our club, if it wasn't for him we would not have won the league it is that simple.

do i disagree about the best player we have ever had ...yes and no i suppose for tricks and flair then yes maybe but there have been some quality players down the city who possessed slightly less flair but had consistency and also quality and not just the excitement factor . 

i use to love watching ooooh tommy wright winding his way around players and the same with guppy infact i would go as far to say for all round play/skill/consistency and workrate guppy was right up there and maybe apart from albrighton hes the best crosser of a ball weve had and also possibly one of the best free kick takers 

to also say he will be the best player you will ever see in a leicester is impossible !

whos to say we wont unearth another gem or we slowly build a quality team and in a few years we are signing real quality (our owners seem ambitious enough )

if we play 352 next season and gave mahrez a more free role with less defensive duties then id love to see him stay but to many times this season he left danny simpson totally exposed and a lot of opponents goals came from that side of the pitch 

It's a damn sight easier to be a creative player in a side that keeps the ball, or a side that is playing well, or a side that is not trying to play an Italian defensive game. I think he will do well where ever he goes, once he gets his confidence back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

It's a damn sight easier to be a creative player in a side that keeps the ball, or a side that is playing well, or a side that is not trying to play an Italian defensive game. I think he will do well where ever he goes, once he gets his confidence back.

But he was one of the main culprits last year of giving the ball away. Just because his posesses great abilities doesn't mean he can be ignored whilst our other players shoulder the blame.

8 hours ago, somebum said:

Great player, the best Leicester have ever had, ok he doesn't run around like a headless chicken, he may sometimes lack effort, drift in and out of games, but legendary for our club, if it wasn't for him we would not have won the league it is that simple.

While I agree with these sort of threads, it's these posts that I don't get.

Why is he "our best player ever"? After one great season? Consistency is key in Sport and calling him "our best ever" isnt fair on players like Izzet who delivered year after year.

We've had some superb footballers down the years - Lineker, Izzet, Lennon, McAllister, Weller, Worthington etc - I think I'd struggle to pick a "best ever".

From the footage I've seen of Weller his ability was unreal. And them days pitches weren't perfect and balls weren't as soft. 

• Like 4

He was our best player the season we won the league. Kante was a massive influence, but without Mahrez we would never have won the league. Last season he was doubled up on, and marked out the game pretty much all season, and that's why he appeared ineffective.

In my opinion, I can't see how anyone compares to him especially in our recent history (last 20/25 years). He is a unique talent. We will never replace a player like him. Players like Messi, Neymar....etc lose the ball too and sometimes try too much, but its the fact that he has the ability to pull it off like those players that puts him in a league above.

31 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

While I agree with these sort of threads, it's these posts that I don't get.

Why is he "our best player ever"? After one great season? Consistency is key in Sport and calling him "our best ever" isnt fair on players like Izzet who delivered year after year.

We've had some superb footballers down the years - Lineker, Izzet, Lennon, McAllister, Weller, Worthington etc - I think I'd struggle to pick a "best ever".

From the footage I've seen of Weller his ability was unreal. And them days pitches weren't perfect and balls weren't as soft. 

Weller was and still is my fave leicester player of all time. Always thought he looked a bit peculiar though in the white tights he wore in the winter.

• Like 2

He's very good, but lost his chance of "greatness" last season. For me, Davie Gibson and Frank Worthington were better team players and had skill by the bucketful and were much more consistent, Weller also a good shout.

• Like 2

Haha lots of people looking at the past through the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia!

If Worthington and Weller were really that good how come they only managed 12 England caps between them? How come Davie Gibson only had 7 caps for the mighty footballing nation of Scotland?

Look lads I know you enjoyed the 70s and I'm sure they were very decent players but better technically than Riyad? Come of it! Think some of you obviously had too many phycadelic drugs back in the 70's

Frankie Wortho was probably the most technically gifted player I've seen play for the City ... but he could be a lazy so and so

and only tended to to turn up when the big boys came to town.

A friend of mine used to do the City players tax returns back in the Seventies and he said the easiest one to complete

was Worthingtons  ... interest received from savings accounts .. NIL , dividends received .... Nil , assets held ... NIL.

Think Frank was more interested in having a good time back in the day.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, somebum said:

Weller head and shoulders above Mahrez,presume you never saw him.

Mahrez is a great player on his day but just did not have many days in his last season with us and only time will tell whether he can reproduce his tile winning form elsewhere.It is by no means certain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Haha lots of people looking at the past through the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia!

If Worthington and Weller were really that good how come they only managed 12 England caps between them? How come Davie Gibson only had 7 caps for the mighty footballing nation of Scotland?

Look lads I know you enjoyed the 70s and I'm sure they were very decent players but better technically than Riyad? Come of it! Think some of you obviously had too many phycadelic drugs back in the 70's

Because in the 70's England caps were not given away free with a bottle of pop.

You either have serious memory loss or never saw the likes of Weller in which case you can't really judge.

• Like 2

Weller was ridiculously injury prone ... if he wasn't he would not have been playing for Leicester.

Frank was a maverick and I assume not considered true England material.

Plenty of examples of brilliant maverick players that don't fit in the national team set up

... Ian Wright only 9 caps .... Matt Le Tissier only 8 caps.etc etc

Edited by RODNEY FERNIO
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, the fox said:

flair players will always divide opinions in english football (especially for non-big team fan bases). flair isn't like work rate, you can't be engaged 100% all the time. that's why most mahrez "apologists" aren't english.

Exactly right. Expecting someone like Mahrez to 'pull his weight' is an old school English mentality. The people who moan about Riyad are the same ones who shout "get it forward" when our defence dare to pass it across the back three or four times.