Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SheppyFox

Chris Smalling

9 minutes ago, murphy said:

I agree.

I was much more excited by the young, up and coming Maguire.  I don't like players from big clubs on their way down.  Cambiasso the exception to the rule.

Plenty of examples of players going from big clubs to smaller ones and doing well. Sigurddson as one example 

Smalling at the moment looks bereft of confidence. His face reads as seriously uncomfortable and not enjoying his job. He isn't a bad player, perhaps not an exceptional CB (top euro class), and it wouldn't surprise me that Jose has literally told him so.

I think he'd do well for us. I think we could easily get more out of him than he's delivering at Utd, the only drawback for me is he is right sided CB, and so is Maguire. Whilst that's not the end of the world, it's not ideal. Someone would need to manage this in a 4-4-2, unless of course we are going for 3 at the back, in which Smalling could play centrally, Maguire to the right.

5 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Plenty of examples of players going from big clubs to smaller ones and doing well. Sigurddson as one example 

Dennis Wise?

Look, I hope I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but I think i could be difficult for a United 1st team regular to be as motivated dropping down to a club like ours.

Always rated him highly. It would be a brilliant signing for us. Big strong pacey good in the air good with his feet and reads the game well. He also looks very composed on the ball and i think that would rub off on the rest of the team. Gerrimin.

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

Dennis Wise?

Look, I hope I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but I think i could be difficult for a United 1st team regular to be as motivated dropping down to a club like ours.

At 26 I'd hope he still has a point to prove. People ask for proven premier league players, we won't be able to attract any with a better record than this lad.

Just now, murphy said:

Dennis Wise?

The lad has played non league after dropping out of game as a kid.

He's 26. Not an ageing has been.

Jose being Jose.  Biggest club in the world, biggest ego in world... let's spend money for the sake of it. 

They need Goals not defenders lol 

If West Brom can sign fletcher , Evans etc via Utds 1st team we surely can .. 

Pay the man . That's the one thing we have over half the league ATM ..

Money via title and champions league!

18 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

He's 26... just going into his prime & a full England international. No doubt you would be happy with Evans who once was in the same situation as Smalling is now. Cambiasso was mid 30's which makes your point even dafter.

I think Man U will get £20m out of Smalling, but £20m for a full England international & player in the calibre of Smalling. Yes please.

You've forgotten how sh**  England are, means nothing. Stones, Jones and Cahill are useless yet he can't get in ahead of them. 

16 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Smalling at the moment looks bereft of confidence. His face reads as seriously uncomfortable and not enjoying his job. He isn't a bad player, perhaps not an exceptional CB (top euro class), and it wouldn't surprise me that Jose has literally told him so.

I think he'd do well for us. I think we could easily get more out of him than he's delivering at Utd, the only drawback for me is he is right sided CB, and so is Maguire. Whilst that's not the end of the world, it's not ideal. Someone would need to manage this in a 4-4-2, unless of course we are going for 3 at the back, in which Smalling could play centrally, Maguire to the right.

He's just a centre back. He plays on he left with Cahill on the right for England. 

1 minute ago, lcfceaves said:

You've forgotten how sh**  England are, means nothing. Stones, Jones and Cahill are useless yet he can't get in ahead of them. 

In fairness, he's suffered a few injuries.

And people saying he won't be motivated...it's World Cup year. 

He'll go somewhere to get game time and prove he should be on the plane to Russia.

Suits both parties. 

6 minutes ago, toddybad said:

He's just a centre back. He plays on he left with Cahill on the right for England. 

Sure, but's not his natural CB side. It's possible as decent striker to take advantage of that weakness. but I appreciate that left sided CBs are like gold dust and will command much higher and significant transfer fees, which may well be out of our range, unless unearthing a scouted unknown.

Just now, sphericalfox said:

Sure, but's not his natural CB side. It's possible as decent striker to take advantage of that weakness. but I appreciate that left sided CBs are like gold dust and will command much higher and significant transfer fees, which may well be out of our range, unless unearthing a scouted unknown.

It's not worth getting into an argument over but I really don't see why anybody would go out specifically for a left footed centre back. 

Two right footers is more than fine. Vidic/Ferdinand, for instance.

5 minutes ago, toddybad said:

It's not worth getting into an argument over but I really don't see why anybody would go out specifically for a left footed centre back. 

Two right footers is more than fine. Vidic/Ferdinand, for instance.

Perhaps a left footed centre back is on Shakey's wish list 

hes not 26 guys he's nearly 28 but regardless of his age it's a massive yes for me, as many have said a cb pairing of Maguire and Smalling for the next few years would be unreal, honestly can't believe any lcfc fan would turn their nose up at him lol 

as for the debate about left footed cbs I'm sure Maguire played the majority of his games last season as a left sided cb

1 hour ago, foxes21 said:

Going off the general consensus on the united forums, Smalling jas been error prone this season & Mourinho likes defenders he can rely on. Also he wants his defenders to be comfortable on the ball & Smallings distribution is poor.

However I think he's a good fit in our system.

I rate Smalling and think he would be a good signing for us.

Don't agree though that we should accept that defenders with poor distribution would be a good fit for our system. :whistle:

Remember an interview where Vardy said he felt the toughest CB in the league was Smalling, given his pace and strength. I think at 27 years old he's at a very good age and we could get a solid 3-4 years of service from him. Fits the British nucleus of our team too and knows the Premier League inside out by now. Certainly worth it I feel. 

2 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I've got a feeling that Vardy said he was the best defender he's played against. 

Not sure why I think that, haven't seen it mentioned in this thread. 

Glad you mentioned that mate, I don't think this has been considered.

Archived