Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Confederations Cup 2017

Just now, Matt said:

VAR causes confusion once again.

From the evidence i've seen despite calling for VAR, I don't want it.

How on earth can it create more confusion and controversy?!

Because football is about a lot of interpretation. How many times have you watched MOTD or the analysis after a match and had the pundits disagree after numerous replays, and then logged on here and found out there are about 10 other points of view being put forward along with even more on Twitter etc. 

Video technology works where the answer is clear one way or another. A goal, a try, the ball being in or out in tennis, LBW in cricket, these all have clear answer, it either is or it isn't. There's a line and you can judge which side the ball ended up on. When it comes to diving and the like in football, it sometimes to hard to tell. Not all dives are as clear as Moses in the FA Cup final. I think for now it just needs leaving at Goal line technology.

39 minutes ago, Melbourne Fuchs said:

Best I've seen us play in ages. In my completely biased opinion Leicester should pick up Luongo, he's currently a free agent.

Isn't he at QPR?

Chile 0 Portugal 0: a consistently entertaining game, unlike most scoreless ties in the Prem.    VAR did not engage on what replays showed to be a decisive pen in extra time. :unsure:   But Bravo repeats his Copa America magic to save Chile's bacon.

1 minute ago, filbertstreet said:

wow claudio bravo, some top penalty stopping there

Don't think I've seen that in a game before. It also why you put your best penalty takers up first. Don't understand this leaving them to the end. I get it might be pressured, but they all are.

Right result too. Chile deserved the win, denied a penalty, hit the bar and post, still going for it to the last second.

4 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Don't think I've seen that in a game before. It also why you put your best penalty takers up first. Don't understand this leaving them to the end.

Some of the US (Fox Sports) commentators were ragging Ronaldo for not moving up in the order to stop the bleeding.  I don't expect that was his decision, but tend to agree, you can't be The Man if you don't even take a shot.

Then there's this:

Bravo.JPG

Hope that people don't disregard VAR completely after its abysmal display in this competition.

The concept is long overdue, however, the problem is a lack of training and procedure given to referees. It's like they've gone to the refs 'okay you've got VAR enjoy' but not explained how to use it.

I think it's the Dutch league that used it last season and they got it down to a tee. It's crazy that one of the biggest sporting bodies in fifa is simply incompetent when it comes to footballing matters.

That goal was so offside! Werner is offside for the whole of the move until the last second that his own team player passes him and plays the ball back, meaning the very last second was onside.

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

That goal was so offside! Werner is offside for the whole of the move until the last second that his own team player passes him and plays the ball back, meaning the very last second was onside.

doesn't interfere with the original ball played through to Hector though?

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

doesn't interfere with the original ball played through to Hector though?

He gains an advantage by not having to run through past a defender. The defenders aren't marking him because, hey, no one can pass to him, he's in an offside position.

Everything has a bearing on everything else, to some degree. The law should just be if you're in front of the ball or there are less than two players between you and the goal line when the ball is play, to you or anyone else, offside. Would make it so much easier. At the moment, essentially it's the whim of the ref.

Archived