Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nalis

Confederations Cup 2017

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Not going to help the game if the refs aren't going to use it correctly is it?

Just going to lead to more disputes and time wasting.

This will be the time killer. At the minute time is eaten up by players moaning and haranguing the referee over decisions. Now there's even more incentive to do it if the ref can have another look at something they're convinced at. I bet it's going to be easier to pressure a referee to have a second look than to go back on his decision as it is.

VAR is coming, and I fear when it gets to the crunch we're gonna see some serious player pressure put on constantly.

15 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

This will be the time killer. At the minute time is eaten up by players moaning and haranguing the referee over decisions. Now there's even more incentive to do it if the ref can have another look at something they're convinced at. I bet it's going to be easier to pressure a referee to have a second look than to go back on his decision as it is.

VAR is coming, and I fear when it gets to the crunch we're gonna see some serious player pressure put on constantly.

players aren't allowed to harrass the ref and ask them to review a decision though. They get booked for doing so. 

Hmmmm... seems as though responsible for implementing VAR in football and the procedures around them didn't take much notice of how different sports use video replays.

What they seem to have gone for is a cricket style, referee orders a review of his decision, but with no clear contact with the person(s) making the decision for the watching audience. 

Now that is one way to do it, but if they had researched the issues cricket had initially with this system, they would have known what started happening was that umpires began bottling decisions, instead choosing for caution because they knew it could be reviewed - and this has been evident in the early bits I've seen of VAR.

Rugby's model would have been better, because it's the referee asking for confirmation of his decision to the clear understanding of those watching. This enables the referee to remain in charge, because he's the one that has to call what's being looked at. This current system makes him a little impotent. 

However, football players don't have the displince and respect of officials that rugby players do, something that was already known and so it could of been predicted that players would instantly put pressure of referees to review decisions.

So what's the way of combating that? Using a challenge system, like there is in American Football, Tennis and now Cricket with the DRS, putting the captain / manager in charge of whether they call for the review at the point of the incident by granting a 'number' of referrals during the match.

This restores the referee's position as the chief decision maker and would help to combat the player respect issue towards officials.

They could also grant the referee the option to refer key decisions for confirmation with the VAR, independently of a captains/managers request, but this needs live feed communication between each party and the decision to refer has to come from the referee.

That this hasn't been figured out through trials and the like prior to going live in a major showpiece tournament is beyond me. It's just further evidence of how awful the people and structure at the top level of football is and how it could do with football fans uniting together to demand better. Sadly, a football fans loyalty is taken for granted and will continue to be until we on mass vote with our feet and wallets.

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I could watch Chile play all day long.

As good as their football usually is (and as much as I admire Chile as a country), their sportsmanship from Alexis Sanchez on down falls between shaky and abysmal.  Cannot get behind them.

VAR is fine, VAR isn't the problem.

The fvcking retard refs that don't know how to use it are the problem.

Because of VAR the ref was able to get a replay of Jara smashing someone in the dish with an elbow.

Not the technology's fault that the ref then gave a yellow.

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

VAR is fine, VAR isn't the problem.

The fvcking retard refs that don't know how to use it are the problem.

Because of VAR the ref was able to get a replay of Jara smashing someone in the dish with an elbow.

Not the technology's fault that the ref then gave a yellow.

Have to agree with this. How the Hell could that have been a yellow card?

If anything is going to make people sceptical of the system, it's referees getting it wrong even when the bloody evidence is right there in front of them. How much easier could it be?

Ridiculous 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to pull the trigger and get sweet seats to the US/Nicaragua - Panama/Martinique doubleheader Saturday.  The One Who Loves Me said OK even though this will be the first time she has ever gone to a futbol match.

I sure hope Bruce puts a better 11 out there than vs Martinique, because those literally were not ready for prime time players.  I can justify paying to see Brad Guzan because the USMNT may not play another non-friendly match in my city for decades.  There are acres of tickets available.  Must be too big a venue, and/or strictly an NFL town.

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

I'm about to pull the trigger and get sweet seats to the US/Nicaragua - Panama/Martinique doubleheader Saturday.  The One Who Loves Me said OK even though this will be the first time she has ever gone to a futbol match.

I sure hope Bruce puts a better 11 out there than vs Martinique, because those literally were not ready for prime time players.  I can justify paying to see Brad Guzan because the USMNT may not play another non-friendly match in my city for decades.  There are acres of tickets available.  Must be too big a venue, and/or strictly an NFL town.

Not exactly the "A" US squad at this Gold Cup is it?

16 year Alphonso Davies has impressed for us(Canada) with 3 goals in the tourney so far. 

The first half was dismal, a throwback to the years when the USMNT didn’t even have guys who could control the ball with a professional first touch.  Every time they showed Arena on the scoreboard he looked like a pissed-off grouper.  (The only replays shown all night were the goals and PK misses.  Is this a CONCACAF thing to avoid riling up the crowd?)

The second half showed a lot more application, and somewhat more quality.  They just eked out the +3 they needed (on a two-man advantage), and we went home happy.  I’d have thought with the growth of the sport, our up-and-comers would be pressing our first teamers.  Unfortunately not so.  But Arena now gets one more game to evaluate them before he MUST fortify the squad.

This defense doesn’t bend, it breaks.  Hamid had to make three quality saves to preserve the clean sheet.  He was my MOTM.

In the end, it was fun to have that circus come to town on a perfect summer evening.

CLEVELAND — Forward Clint Dempsey, midfielder Michael Bradley and goalkeeper Tim Howard are among six additions to the U.S. roster for the knockout phase of the CONCACAF Gold Cup as coach Bruce Arena opted to add some of his most experienced players.

Arena also added forward Jozy Altidore, midfielder Darlington Nagbe and goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez, the U.S. Soccer Federation said Sunday. Gonzalez's application to change affiliation from Mexico to the U.S. was approved by FIFA last month, after the deadline for setting the 23-man roster for the group phase.

Goalkeepers Brad Guzan and Sean Johnson were dropped along with midfielders Alejandro Bedoya, Cristian Roldan and Kelyn Rowe, and forward Dom Dwyer. Arena had planned in advance of the tournament to replace Guzan, Johnson and Bedoya.

Maybe we should start an Actual Gold Cup thread now that we are out of the group stage?

My bad for being first to add it into this one (which might as well be closed).  :S  The Iheanacho thread has liquefied my brain.

Of course there may be only a few of us who give a fart about this tournament!

Interesting (and justifiable) decision to keep Hamid over Guzan IMO.

Archived