Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

Ulloa - back to Brighton?

I don't mind Leo. You know what you get with him.

But offering him a new contract? Why? He needs to move on, get some football and we need to upgrade. He's always been that type of player that's never quite been good enough to really kick us on

imo.

I'll have less respect for him if he signs a new contract and stays. I didn't take any offence to his comments in January, i believe he was promised a move which the club reneged on and his comments were made in frustration at his situation. Fair play. But surely signing a new deal cements that situation because he's unlikely to get any more game time than he did last season. If KI comes in then we will off load Slimani and/or Musa quite likely, but it doesn't promote him to the starting 11. 

1 hour ago, Al-aLondon-Foxile said:

I'll have less respect for him if he signs a new contract and stays. I didn't take any offence to his comments in January, i believe he was promised a move which the club reneged on and his comments were made in frustration at his situation. Fair play. But surely signing a new deal cements that situation because he's unlikely to get any more game time than he did last season. If KI comes in then we will off load Slimani and/or Musa quite likely, but it doesn't promote him to the starting 11. 

It was also about pay for Ulloa too - parity or some form of it. After the title winning season the 'stars' of LCFC got better terms to keep them... Ulloa I don't think got anything except the promise of being allowed to leave or be offered a better deal. If he has decided to stay but wants the cash he deserves to be paid for not playing and being the fourth choice striker then thats fair enough otherwise he should be allowed to move on.

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

It was also about pay for Ulloa too - parity or some form of it. After the title winning season the 'stars' of LCFC got better terms to keep them... Ulloa I don't think got anything except the promise of being allowed to leave or be offered a better deal. If he has decided to stay but wants the cash he deserves to be paid for not playing and being the fourth choice striker then thats fair enough otherwise he should be allowed to move on.

Yeah, fair point and would explain the change in his attitude to accepting the situation. 

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

But offering him a new contract? Why? He needs to move on, get some football and we need to upgrade. He's always been that type of player that's never quite been good enough to really kick us on

imo.

Seems we're going for a solid rather than spectacular season, the owners talked about establishing ourselves first and foremost and unfortunately last seasons f*** up showed we weren't close to that yet. If we get a couple of solid seasons under our belt without ever looking in trouble, then it will be interesting to see whether the owners back us to get to that mythical "next level", or whether they are happy to sit mid table and take the money.

If things go tits up back in Thailand they will be looking for other income, we could potentially be that for them.

2 hours ago, Al-aLondon-Foxile said:

My guess is of Shakey's plans are that Slimani and Musa get sold this window.

We'll play Vardy as No9 and Iheanacho as No10. 

Okazaki will be first reserve and he'll always play No10.

Iheanacho will play No9 if playing with Okazaki.

Ulloa will be 4th choice striker and offer us something different from the other three.

I also think Shakey will have in his mind when we played 3-4-3 against Atletico in that second half and caused them a lot of problems with Ulloa playing the target man role very well. I'd expect Ulloa to get some decent game time when we're aggressively chasing a goal.

I think this is one of the reasons he signed up again as he will see some decent minutes this coming season.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Ulloa will be 4th choice striker and offer us something different from the other three.

I also think Shakey will have in his mind when we played 3-4-3 against Atletico in that second half and caused them a lot of problems with Ulloa playing the target man role very well. I'd expect Ulloa to get some decent game time when we're aggressively chasing a goal.

I think this is one of the reasons he signed up again as he will see some decent minutes this coming season.

Agree with all that, Gerard.

4 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Huth and Okazaki didn't get new improved deals either, I assumed due to their age, Ulloa is getting old too

12 hours ago, brucey said:

Huth and Okazaki didn't get new improved deals either, I assumed due to their age, Ulloa is getting old too

Huth probably got a decent contract when he signed permenantly for us. 

Okazaki was playing regularly so getting a new contract or a decent move wouldn't be too hard for him. 

Ulloa wasn't playing at all, trying to get a decent contract somewhere after not playing very regularly and being 30, might have been a tough ask. 

With footballers, it's not just about playing for what you're earning at present, they look at when and where their next contract is coming from. 

On 13/07/2017 at 10:39, Gerard said:

Insightful thinking that and perfectly plausible.

:thumbup: 

Not sure about the departure of Musa though. If the right attitude, involvement and pre-season training make a difference, he's got a lot of pace and possibility to offer if he can also show himself strong enough.  

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2017 at 02:39, Gerard said:

Have def noticed us flirting with a three forward line since that AM game, but I'd need to see a lot more from Nacho before I moved Slim. January window at the earliest for me.

Frankly, I think that 3-4-3 looked great when we needed a goal vs. AM, so great I think we need to look at it in more neutral situations as well, against weaker attacking clubs, try to be more aggressive in our approach. If we want to compete for the top-6, we need to be scoring 70+ goals this season. Last season, tots (86), Chelsea (85), mnc (80), pool (78), and arsenal (77) were the top-5. The year we won, mnc led with 71 goals (we had 68), though that was a very low-scoring season. As we go back through the years, 70 goals gets most teams to Europe. We can defend a lot better than we did vs. Arsenal, we'll clean that up I believe, but we need to make sure we aren't playing lump it fwd and hope for the best with Vardy. Really hope we keep Slim, he'll be able to unlock things Vardy won't.

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 08:21, Col city fan said:

imo.

Spot on. Scored important goals no doubt, but just didnt or couldnt take himself and the team that step further. Shame, imo a good honest proffesional, if hecwants to close out a decent career, he should move on and see he gets himself healthy Gametime.lower PL he can still do the business.Championship defintily.

1 hour ago, STUHILL said:

Leo is our 5th/6th choice striker currently, so I have no idea why he would want to sign a new deal apart from the money. 

Sell for 8-10 million to Brighton and let him get his game time he so badly wanted in January

Good plan, now all we need to do is persuade Brighton to make an £8m-£10m bid and we're good to go. 

9 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Leo is our 5th/6th choice striker currently, so I have no idea why he would want to sign a new deal apart from the money. 

Sell for 8-10 million to Brighton and let him get his game time he so badly wanted in January

I'd let him go for any price. £5m would be a dream.

3 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

He's in his 4th season and was bought for about 8m (?), so his book value must be  about 2m. We can afford to sell cheap.

I can see why the club refused £9m from Sunderland in January but it was the wrong decision then and the wrong decision in hindsight. He's barely played since then.

Archived