Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Outfox the Fox

Marvin Johnson - from Oxford with Appleton - Middlesbrough

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

Perhaps Appleton threatened to kick off if we didn't sign him 

Apparently Appleton rated him so much at Oxford he tried to shoehorn him into the team at all costs by playing him out of position at left back...

3 hours ago, BlueTillIDie said:

The Marvin Johnson???? Wow what a coup we are certs for european football again now, bet the top four are bricking it :blink:

Stranger things have happened as Vardy from Fleetwood could testify from his position as our first choice centre forward and England's number one as well.  There's no need to be so condescending. 

On 19/06/2017 at 18:18, TrentFox said:

Sorry to contradict, but I really think we do. Fuchs is getting old and I am far from convinced by Chilwell's defensive/ physical attributes.  I have a feeling he won't make it with us if we stay at the level we are at / aspire to. 

Chilwell seems to be getting stronger. I don't mean he's Mike Tyson yet but he looks more solid and he's certainly got the stamina to stay active for a whole game rather than just a part.

As for his defensive capabilities, I'd argue it takes a couple of seasons at least for kids to even become familiar with the job and to understand the problems posed by different teams and different players.

I hope he takes notes and keep videos. Because you can bet that a good many professionals do so in all sorts of sports and there's no shortcuts. Players need to face players before they fully realise how difficult or otherwise they are to cope with. Only then can they work out the best strategies for coping. 

Yes, there will be different opponents each season but a good many - perhaps two thirds at a guess, will be familiar and the more knowledge a defender has about anyone the better he's likely to manage. It's not down to luck but there's no way you get experience on the training ground although the wise ones might learn some things from the bench. 

Chilwell strikes me as a footballer in the student stage but one who seems willing and eager to learn. Twelve more months and we'll see the facets of a diamond being polished and in two years we'll see the best of him.  . 

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leicester-city-transfer-news-city-renew-their-interest-in-oxford-s-marvin-johnson/story-30438617-detail/story.html

Leicester City are renewing their interest in £2m-rated Oxford United striker Marvin Johnson.

According to reports in The Sun, Leicester could be about to add the 26-year-old to their resources up front, despite being close to signing Manchester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho.

While they may face competition from Birmingham City and Aston Villa, the fact that former Oxford boss Michael Appleton is now on Leicester's coaching staff could give City the edge in any transfer dealings.

Appleton is understood to have recommended Johnson to his new employers after an impressive scoring record at the Kassam Stadium.

Oxford shelled out £650,000 for Johnson from Motherwell this time last year and have already rejected offers above £1m for him last January.

The Scottish side will get a percentage of any sell-on fee so United are keen to get as much money as they can if they sell him.

14 hours ago, brucey said:

Apparently Appleton rated him so much at Oxford he tried to shoehorn him into the team at all costs by playing him out of position at left back...

Perhaps we should buy the left winger that was keeping him out his normal position then? :D

19 minutes ago, Bezzanator89 said:

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/leicester-city-transfer-news-city-renew-their-interest-in-oxford-s-marvin-johnson/story-30438617-detail/story.html

Leicester City are renewing their interest in £2m-rated Oxford United striker Marvin Johnson.

According to reports in The Sun, Leicester could be about to add the 26-year-old to their resources up front, despite being close to signing Manchester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho.

While they may face competition from Birmingham City and Aston Villa, the fact that former Oxford boss Michael Appleton is now on Leicester's coaching staff could give City the edge in any transfer dealings.

Appleton is understood to have recommended Johnson to his new employers after an impressive scoring record at the Kassam Stadium.

Oxford shelled out £650,000 for Johnson from Motherwell this time last year and have already rejected offers above £1m for him last January.

The Scottish side will get a percentage of any sell-on fee so United are keen to get as much money as they can if they sell him.

So this bloke is a Striker, Winger and Left Back!? Gerrimmin.

Why on earth would a player such as this be on our radar in any shape or form?

I'd be unimpressed if we were still in the championship and linked with this guy.

It's got to be a load of rubbish.

• 1 month later...

Archived