Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

16 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Fair enough, i am unlikely to quote social media because as ive said i dont use it. Apart from this.

I was just wondering if there was more too it than being reported because although a bit inappropriate, its definitely tame from what i can see.

I think it just shows what a strange little bubble journalists and politicians live in tbh.

Again, I think it would be interesting to get a female view on this.

15 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Well, in terms of Brexit, that’s my experience yes.

I don’t think you’re bored of the bus. The reason you don’t want to talk about it is because you don’t have the answer. The Leave campaign and the Government enacting Brexit are withholding information from you, which makes it impossible to answer the question. IN the nicely possible way, and quite literally – you have no idea what you are talking about!!

This is the answer that you should be able to give (figures are totally made up but you get the point):

Yes, the bus was misleading and irresponsible. However, it doesn’t change the basic principle that the bus was trying to get across to people: That we will be a lot better off after Brexit.

So OK, we don’t send £350m to Brussels, but we do send £200m net. When we leave the EU, we’ll have to spend the following to replace or replicate the services that the EU currently provides:

• £20m in the Home Office/Border Control
  • £5m in the Foreign Office (additional embassies etc)
  • £3m in Food Standards Agency
  • £2m in Environmental protection…
  • Etc etc etc…

And in total this will come to £100m per week. If we end up on WTO tariffs it’s estimated that will cost business £50m per week. Plus certain industries will lose out because of the lack of cheap foreign workers to the tune of £10m

So, we’ll still be £40m better off per week after Brexit. To me, that makes it worth doing.

But you can’t say that because you don’t know.

Instead, we have gone from a pre-referendum principle of “We will be massively better off after Brexit”; to “Well, we won’t be massively worse off after Brexit”.

Yet, unquestioningly, you still support it. And you can’t even explain why, instead, you say you’re bored of the argument!!

Your argument is " you believed what was written on the bus"

" no we didn't "

" yes you did, I win"

If you were right anything you be saying I told you so about the DIY recession, an extra 500,000 unemployed, Toyota and Nissan closing their factories, all the banks moving abroad. As it is, all you do is bang on about something that happened 18 months ago. You've lost the argument but you're still in denial.

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

" no we didn't "

" yes you did, I win"

If you were right anything you be saying I told you so about the DIY recession, an extra 500,000 unemployed, Toyota and Nissan closing their factories, all the banks moving abroad. As it is, all you do is bang on about something that happened 18 months ago. You've lost the argument but you're still in denial.

Well, my argument is as I have outlined it in my post above.

If you want to use "quotation marks" to redefine it to something that suits you, then unfortunately there's not a lot I can do about that. This really is the curse of Social Media. You're free to ignore me and continue in your own echo chamber.

But, what I will say is that there's little difference between doing that, and simply disappearing and popping up with the same argument a few days later.

So at least you've proved one of my points even if you refuse to debate the others. :D

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Can anyone shed any light on the Kelvin Hopkins suspension because it all seems very tame to me, i feel like i must be missing something?

The accusation against him is (a) that 2-3 years ago he sent suggestive texts to a young woman after a party meeting (Essex Uni Labour Club official in her 20s); (b) that, unsolicited, he rubbed his crotch up against her.

The accusation against the party is that it was wrong to promote him to the shadow cabinet last year.

She complained about his behaviour at the time - and he was reprimanded by the party. However, it sounds as if they were only informed of the suggestive texts, not any physical harassment.

It seems that she has only raised that more serious accusation this week. I've no idea whether he's denying it.

My take on it is that the party probably shouldn't have promoted him, even if they only knew about the texts - that was enough to suggest he was a loose cannon, not someone to be promoted.

But it doesn't sound like a major misjudgment by the party IF they didn't know about the second accusation until now. Suspending him now and launching an investigation seems reasonable, if so.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, toddybad said:

Everybody saw "yes we can" as meaning "we will". Or as a minimum "we'll be doing everything we can to make it happen". 

With the £350m pledge, look, I'll level with you, I honestly couldn't care less. BUT it was very obviously a disingenuous attempt to win votes.

The £350m ignored the fact 2/3 of it came back into the UK and nobody had any say in whether it would go on the NHS. However, ordinary people who don't spend their lives talking about politics would see that as the UK's NET spend being £350m and Gove and Boris being front line government minister's saying that money would be largely spent on the NHS. that was obviously the intention of the bus. 

As I say, I couldn't care less now but I do find people arguing that white is red on here really very wearing. Why is it so hard to admit that the leave campaign was being disingenuous? Looking back with hindsight I'd have to admit the same about some of Osborne's claims for remain.

21 minutes ago, Webbo said:

" no we didn't "

" yes you did, I win"

:frusty:

Remainer drags up old arguments

Brexiteer doesnt respond.

Remainer says im arguing with myself

Brexiteer says its because im bored of going round in circles.

Remainer says 'no its because you have no argument.

Brexiteer repeats origional rebuttal.

Remainer bangs head against wall.

Rinse, shower and repeat.

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Actually I had to drop the car off at the garage, I'm back to give you my full attention now

So OK, we don’t send £350m to Brussels, but we do send £200m net. When we leave the EU, we’ll have to spend the following to replace or replicate the services that the EU currently provides:

• £20m in the Home Office/Border Control
  • £5m in the Foreign Office (additional embassies etc)
  • £3m in Food Standards Agency
  • £2m in Environmental protection…
  • Etc etc etc…

And in total this will come to £100m per week. If we end up on WTO tariffs it’s estimated that will cost business £50m per week. Plus certain industries will lose out because of the lack of cheap foreign workers to the tune of £10m

So, we’ll still be £40m better off per week after Brexit. To me, that makes it worth doing.

Spending more on border control, more immigration officers is no bad thing, we already have a million illegal immigrants.

We already have departments that enforce EU directives, the only difference is we'll be enforcing our own regulation, so the other stuff seems unlikely to me.

We'll only be paying more in WTO tariffs if we continue to buy the same things from the EU, once we've left we don't have to enforce the external tariff on goods from other countries, it's highly likely we'll save money.

£40 million a week is more than £2 billion a year so that's not bad even on your exaggerated, worse case scenario. 

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Brexiteer doesnt respond.

Remainer says im arguing with myself

Brexiteer says its because im bored of going round in circles.

Remainer says 'no its because you have no argument.

Brexiteer repeats origional rebuttal.

Remainer bangs head against wall.

Rinse, shower and repeat.

Let's put it to the test:

When is Boris announcing that it's actually £363m per week that's going to the NHS? :cool:

Brexiteer

No part of the bus slogan said it would go to the NHS.

Remainer

pa-28104829.jpg.e7e389eb3ac89142ae915bb0343a4c88.jpg

Brexiteer:

It doesnt say it will go their though does it? It suggests they think it should.

Remainer:

jh-696x503.png

Brexiteer:

:D

11 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Actually I had to drop the car off at the garage, I'm back to give you my full attention now

Spending more on border control, more immigration officers is no bad thing, we already have a million illegal immigrants.

We already have departments that enforce EU directives, the only difference is we'll be enforcing our own regulation, so the other stuff seems unlikely to me.

We'll only be paying more in WTO tariffs if we continue to buy the same things from the EU, once we've left we don't have to enforce the external tariff on goods from other countries, it's highly likely we'll save money.

£40 million a week is more than £2 billion a year so that's not bad even on your exaggerated, worse case scenario. 

Looks like I'm arguing on my own.

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Yeah I just made those figures up. :D I didn't think you'd take them literally.

But no doubt this will be front page news on the Daily Mail tomorrow:

Foxing Hell! Remoaner in chief Fox u-DON'T-like is FORCED to admit that LOVELY-JUBBLY Brexit will save us a WHOPPING £40m a week!

My point is you have absolutely no idea what that figure will be. Not because it's unknowable but because your own Government is withholding that information from you.

Just now, Fox Ulike said:

Let's put it to the test:

When is Boris announcing that it's actually £363m per week that's going to the NHS? :cool:

Brexiteer

No part of the bus slogan said it would go to the NHS.

Remainer

pa-28104829.jpg.e7e389eb3ac89142ae915bb0343a4c88.jpg

Brexiteer:

It doesnt say it will go their though does it? It suggests they think it should.

Remainer:

jh-696x503.png

Brexiteer:

:D

Remainer still doesnt understand the word at the start of both slogan is the key to why it doesn't say we will and only suggests we should.

Yeah I just made those figures up. :D I didn't think you'd take them literally.

But no doubt this will be front page news on the Daily Mail tomorrow:

Foxing Hell! Remoaner in chief Fox u-DON'T-like is FORCED to admit that LOVELY-JUBBLY Brexit will save us a WHOPPING £40m a week!

My point is you have absolutely no idea what that figure will be. Not because it's unknowable but because your own Government is withholding that information from you.

Did you the see the bit where I said your figures seemed unlikely?

15 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Remainer still doesnt understand the word at the start of both slogan is the key to why it doesn't say we will and only suggests we should.

Yes I totally forgot you quoting the dictionary definition of the word "Let". !!

Powerful stuff.

The voices in your head told you to do it? :blink:

And you wonder why nobody wants to talk to you?

You present an argument based on made up figures and as soon as someone picks them apart it's " lol fooled you!". 

What on earth are you trying achieve?