Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

42 minutes ago, Webbo said:

22 JUNE 2017

|  CBI PRESS TEAM

NEWS

Manufacturing demand strengthens

Manufacturing firms reported that both their total and export order books had strengthened to multi-decade highs in June, according to the CBI’s latest Industrial Trends Survey.

The survey of 464 manufacturers found that total order books climbed to the highest level since August 1988. This was underpinned by a broad-based improvement in 13 of the 17 sub-sectors, led by the food, drink & tobacco and chemicals sectors. Export orders also improved to a 22-year high, hitting similar peaks to those seen in 2011 and 2013.

Output growth eased to the levels seen at the start of the year, on the back of slowdowns in the chemicals and mechanical engineering sectors, but remained robust historically. Firms expect a firm rise in production over the coming quarter.

But pricing pressures remain strong, with manufacturers continuing to expect a sharp rise in average selling prices, in line with the level seen last month. Stock adequacy dipped marginally, remaining below average.

Rain Newton-Smith, CBI Chief Economist, said:

Britain’s manufacturers are continuing to see demand for “Made in Britain” goods rise with the temperature. Total and export order books are at highs not seen for decades, and output growth remains robust.

“Nevertheless, with cost pressures remaining elevated it’s no surprise to see that manufacturers continue to have high expectations for the prices they plan to charge.

“To build the right future for Britain’s economy, manufacturers and workers, the Government must put the economy first as it negotiates the country’s departure from the EU. This approach will deliver a deal that supports growth and raises living standards across the UK.”

Key findings:

• 27% of manufacturers reported total order books to be above normal, and 12% said they were below normal, giving a rounded balance of +16%. This was the highest level seen in nearly three decades, since August 1988 (+17%)
  • 23% of firms said their export order books were above normal, and 10% said they were below normal, giving a balance of +13%. This was the highest balance since June 1995 (+20%)
  • 30% of businesses said the volume of output over the past three months was up, and 15% said it was down, giving a balance of +15% - a decline from the balance of +28% seen in May
  • Manufacturers expect output to grow at the same robust pace in the coming quarter, with 37% predicting growth, and 9% a decline, giving a rounded balance of +27%
  • Average selling prices are still expected to rise in line with the level seen in May (+23%), having eased from their peak in February (+32%)
  • 13% of firms said their present stocks of finished goods are more than adequate, whilst 11% said they were less adequate, giving a balance of +2%, remaining below the average (+13%).

http://www.cbi.org.uk/news/manufacturing-demand-strengthens/

Can actually vouch for this at my workplace. We've never been so busy. Makes a nice change after a few years of the company struggling to attract work and pretty much surviving month to month. Couple that with the vast majority of our metals/plastics coming from local suppliers the £ falling hasn't much affected our input costs, so profits are steadily growing. 

Hopefully it carries on. :thumbup:

22 minutes ago, Buce said:

Nothing to do with the fall in the pound meaning it's not as lucrative to work here anymore? Guardian spreading hate again.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Nothing to do with the fall in the pound meaning it's not as lucrative to work here anymore? Guardian spreading hate again.

I can only assume that you didn't read the article, which actually mentioned that.

1 minute ago, Buce said:

I can only assume that you didn't read the article, which actually mentioned that.

I did but the headline was 

Farms hit by labour shortage as migrant workers shun 'racist' UK

Implying that 

a) The UK is racist.

b) Europeans don't want to come here as a result of that.

It's just pandering to the prejudices of it's readers.

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I did but the headline was 

Farms hit by labour shortage as migrant workers shun 'racist' UK

Implying that 

a) The UK is racist.

b) Europeans don't want to come here as a result of that.

It's just pandering to the prejudices of it's readers.

I imagine that Guardian readers probably read the article rather than just taking in a soundbite headline - they would have then seen that 'racist UK' is how we are perceived by the migrant workers, not by the Guardian.

They are not Sun readers, after all.

Edited by Buce

19 minutes ago, Buce said:

I imagine that Guardian readers probably read the article rather than just taking in a soundbite headline - they would have then seen that 'racist UK' is how we are perceived by the migrant workers, not by the Guardian

They are not Sun readers, after all.

So why put a sensationalist headline in? Bit Daily Mailish? In fact why did you put that headline in your post?

3 hours ago, Foxin_mad said:

The Guardian is an awful pile of steaming left wing shite though. It is the left wing equivalent of the Mail/Sun full of bollocks, yet because the readership normally see themselves as the high and mighty, it thinks its some kind of gospel they can use to back up their arguments.

Again its pretty poor to use deaths for cheap point scoring........it makes them lower that the Mail and Sun for me. Surely the clever intelligent one walks away and ignores.

Is it ok next time there is a attack for the Sun to have a front page with the Guardian plastered on the terrorists and put 'thanks to left wing liberal values and mass immigration we get blown up yet again'? I don't think they have ever sunk that low even for that cock head Owen Jones to call them an open sewer.....want a sanctimonious bunch of hypocritical  *****.

People died have some ****ing respect.

As a Guardian reader, I feel I have to reply here.

Now the Cartoon... risky, maybe close to the bone, but for me it did what it intended to - make you think.

Whether you agree with what it's trying to say or not (and the beauty of a cartoon like this is it will say different things to different people) if you care about a free press, they have the right to print it. 

And if we compare the subtle yet strong message the cartoon appears to be trying to get across, compared to the astonishing response from Dacre in the Daily Mail editorial... well there is no comparison, the later appears to have been written by some sort of child man.

The final point to make, is having dabbled with various newspapers, the guardian ended up being my paper of choice most times because I felt some of the majority's of reporters in the areas I care most about are well versed on their subject matter and look to prevent facts and background so you can come to your own conclusions.

This belief was strengthened when I did some active albeit unscientific comparison of reports on the same subject by different papers and found the key two in question were very keen to get across that papers view of the world (maybe this is something I will do properly if I need to a thesis).

Yes, the guardian has its faults, with the comment is free section being a particular source of click bait 'being controversial for the sake of it' articles, but again every paper does this it seems - especially the Mail.

Another bonus with the Guardian is that it's online access is free, I like the asethic set out and its comments board are easy to use.

And finally, is what has become a lengthy rebuttle... the Guardian has gained a reputation as a paradise for lefty sandle wearing weirdo thinkers... but it is still very soft left, it's not as dangerous as a paper verging on the hard right at times.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Webbo said:

So why put a sensationalist headline in? Bit Daily Mailish? In fact why did you put that headline in your post?

A headline has to have something in it to attract a reader to it. 

Cherry picking Webbo... perhaps you could help these farmers out!

1 minute ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

A headline has to have something in it to attract a reader to it. 

Cherry picking Webbo... perhaps you could help these farmers out!

So when someone posts something like this;

DCq2hEYWsAAfT6T.jpg

It doesn't actually prove anything?

30 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Standard practice.

Check out any post I've made linking a story.

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

So when someone posts something like this;

DCq2hEYWsAAfT6T.jpg

It doesn't actually prove anything?

Well the key thing in the Guardian headline is the word 'racist' appears as so, which highlights these are not the words of the guardian.

And low and behold, early on in the article, this word appears again as shown and is attributed to someone (not the Guardian).

That makes it quite different to the majority of examples your subsequent post shows. 

Plus, you're an intelligent guy so I think you also also know there are significant other differences as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buce said:

If he can find some time away from his African diamond mines, I heard Aaron Banks is going to volunteer to help pick fruit, so much does he care about the average British farmer.

9 hours ago, MattP said:

Why on earth would Labour now support PR when then are polling 40%?

Electoral madness.

Labour got roughly 40% of the vote and 40% of the MPs, the Tories got 42% of the vote and 49% of the MPs at this election. With PR in place - if people had voted the same way - they'd most likely be leading a left-wing coalition. When's the last time right of center parties had over 50% of the popular vote? I think they had 50% in 2015 but can't remember when it was higher than that? On the face of it it looks like it could help Labour.

15 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

In other news, Channel 4 are suggesting the Conservatives... probably shouldn't say 'cheat'... may not have played completely by the rules (yes, that'll do it) in the election just passed. 

its almost as if they want to be privatised!

What are they alleging? 

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

What are they alleging? 

Something about running a call centre... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/22/conservative-party-call-centre-may-have-broken-election-law

I did have a quick look for an alternative source, given the Guardian bashing, only to then come across this!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-dup-talks-latest-theresa-may-calls-ignored-36-hours-unionists-minority-government-a7802086.html

It looks like the DUP could be more trouble to the Conservatives than they're worth, but fair play in a way - they know how much the Tories want to avoid an election right now, so are driving a high price. 

I've got a lot of time for vince cable, I hope he is a relative success. In a time when politics seems like a choice of one extreme or the other, it might be refreshing to have a credible in between. 

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 2