DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

30 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Also just a reminder folks that only one side of the house calls for their colleagues to be deselected in a public domain, and it ain’t the opposition side

DQ_c_iXX0AAUIod.jpg

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/corbyn-ally-angela-rayner-passionately-10763442

Just because they aren’t calling for it in public doesn’t mean it isn’t going on. As Angela Rayner reveals.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MattP said:

Sorry but this is so delusional I don't even know what to say, to claim Momentum has no power after the results of the NEC election last week is beyond laughable. 

Of course it's the members who'll decide the candidates, no one I don't think is denying that. That's the perfect way to pull off the deselections.

At least she was honest.

What I mean is momentum had no power until the membership decided to give them the power. The membership have decided. Democracy in action. You really need to stop moaning about momentum like it's Somme secret society - it is the members wishes that the party be taken left as per momentum. It's not a secret.

Just now, MattP said:

She's probably on the list after the "shit or bust" comment. 

I don’t disagree that they should select MPs to fit an ethos or that momentum should have the involvement that it does, it’s completely their choice and right. 

But let’s not pretend that it’s not happening, because that just gives the impression that it’s underhand and not above board. If they can lie about this, what else will they lie about?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I don’t disagree that they should select MPs to fit an ethos or that momentum should have the involvement that it does, it’s completely their choice and right. 

But let’s not pretend that it’s not happening, because that just gives the impression that it’s underhand and not above board. If they can lie about this, what else will they lie about?

My understanding is that each branch selects it's candidate. Nobody will be deselected as such, it's just if you don't agree with the view of the members you probably won't be selected again. Only the right wing media thinks this is somehow a bad thing.

31 minutes ago, toddybad said:

What I mean is momentum had no power until the membership decided to give them the power. The membership have decided. Democracy in action. You really need to stop moaning about momentum like it's Somme secret society - it is the members wishes that the party be taken left as per momentum. It's not a secret.

13 minutes ago, toddybad said:

My understanding is that each branch selects it's candidate. Nobody will be deselected as such, it's just if you don't agree with the view of the members you probably won't be selected again. Only the right wing media thinks this is somehow a bad thing.

Glad we've clarified this.

So Momentum had no power until they got power and serving members of parliament won't be deselected unless they are deselected.

I'm not Mystic Meg but I'd hazard a guess serving moderate MP's also aren't keen on it.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Glad we've clarified this.

So Momentum had no power until they got power and serving members of parliament won't be deselected unless they are deselected.

I'm not Mystic Meg but I'd hazard a guess serving moderate MP's also aren't keen on it.

What does 'moderate' MP even mean? Did you mean mps that don't represent their party members' beliefs?

Labour is a party of over 500,000 members. 

It is a left wing party.

If you don't represent the members of the party why should you be selected as a candidate? Just to keep you happy? It's nothing to do with being moderate and everything to do with you trying to spin it as somehow a far left takeover. It is the members taking their party back. 

You're a parody of yourself sometimes.

1 minute ago, toddybad said:

What does 'moderate' MP even mean? Did you mean mps that don't represent their party members' beliefs?

Labour is a party of over 500,000 members. 

It is a left wing party.

If you don't represent the members of the party why should you be selected as a candidate? Just to keep you happy? It's nothing to do with being moderate and everything to do with you trying to spin it as somehow a far left takeover. It is the members taking their party back. 

You're a parody of yourself sometimes.

Moderate has a clearly defined definition. The press and MP's themselves don't seem to have a problem describing themselves or others as this.

If the members decide to take the party a new way that's their choice, but don't then make denials that they'll be making deselections.

I'm still dubious on these membership figures as well, no doubt there are a lot but when you see the results of the elections last week I'm not sure it's as big as they tell us.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

Moderate has a clearly defined definition. The press and MP's themselves don't seem to have a problem describing themselves or others as this.

If the members decide to take the party a new way that's their choice, but don't then make denials that they'll be making deselections.

I'm still dubious on these membership figures as well, no doubt there are a lot but when you see the results of the elections last week I'm not sure it's as big as they tell us.

I suspect the number of members that are actually active is probably a lot lower but I can believe the figure for paid up members just bearing in mind the crowds Corbyn can pull. Even if you don't like his politics your got to give the guy credit for getting people interested in politics again (I.e. The young).

There might not be deselections. Corbyn had never denied that the members will select the candidates but there's no way of knowing who will be selected until votes happen. Bear in mind longstanding mps still have personal relationships with their branches and members.